What bonsai books would you 'all recommend

Pattik

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have three or four bonsai books, but would love it if someone could recommend a "basic" bonsai book that covered just about everything, pruning, potting, wiring, care/fertilizer, etc. It seems like all the ones I have are just photos of great bonsai, no real instruction. Anyhow, your recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
John Nakas Bonsai techniques 1 and 2. Are considered some of the best books. They cover practically all aspects of bonsai. They might be a little expensive, buit definitely worth it. These are books you can use for a life time in bonsai. The sections on bonsai soils may differ from one person to the next due to different regions and times.

Rob

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Harry Harrington's Bonsai Inspirations 1 and 2 are great. He actually shows progressions for trees rather than just showing a different tree for every discussed technique. They're available in paper form or ebook.

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Deborah Koreshoff's 'Bonsai it's Art Science History and Philosophy'.

elliott

Yamadori
Reaction score
The Naka books have some good basic info, but some of it, like creating an apex by reapeating first branch, second branch, etc, is a little out dated. I agree, the Harry Harrington books at bonsaiforme.com are awesome. Also, you can go to stonelantern.com and they have many, many books available.
I would subscribe to Bonsai focus magazine to round out you education and keep up with who's who and new techniques. bonsaifocus.com

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not a book and a book...

Bonsai4me.com is not a book, however, Harry Harrington has assembled a wealth of information on this website that you read through...and print out articles if desired. I have his books and particularly like them because he covers a subject from start to finish and with photos (I seem to be more visually oriented) and I sometimes enjoy thumbing through a book and bookmarking pages of interest. Very old-school but works for me. The books cover a lot of what is actually on the website.

A Book.
I have used this book a lot. The title is simply "Bonsai". The author is Werner M. Busch. The subtitle is Grow your own bonsai from cuttings, seeds, and saplings. From native trees and shrubs. I like and use this book a lot because it covers details...lots of details...on what I'd call common trees commonly seen around me. Here's an Amazon link for reference:
http://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Grow-C...0695572&sr=8-3&keywords=bonsai+werner+m+busch

This book is the same book I believe, just an earlier publishing. The page count, size and photos shown on Amazon match with the book I have. So, there's even one for 6 cents plus the shipping...a $4.05 investment. I buy used books a lot...seems the first thing I'm going to do is use the book anyway...so my books have a head start on use.
http://www.amazon.com/Bonsai-Native...0695572&sr=8-5&keywords=bonsai+werner+m+busch

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
I can honestly say that there is Probably NOT a bonsai book in english that I don't have. I also have dozens of books in chinese, japanese and korean.No I can't read em put prefer to look at the pictures. Some i have paid to have an article translated.

Bottom line, the book I continue to go back to for quick referrence

Basic bonsai design, David de Groot.

David is the director of the weyerhauser bonsai exhibit in federal way washington. a sought after teacher, he is working on a new book of greater detail
currently for ABS.

Top Bottom