What bonsai soil mix to use and of what grain size?

SND

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12a
I’m new to bonsai and have heard that having a good granular water retaining draining soil for bonsai is almost essential. I currently have an orange jessamine and a Chinese juniper and am planing to grow more plants of the latter and also a few ficuses. The only available soils/mediums available to me are: red soil, vermicompost, normal compost, coco peat, perlite, vermiculite, gravel, cow manure and some random granular river sand. Please recommend me a mixture of these mediums along with in what proportions and also grain size. BTW I live in a tropical place and water is no issue

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
SND, welcome to the site, this question has so many answers, none of which can be answered without more information. Where you live is a huge factor, add your location to your profile will help.

There are threads you could read for days on this site regarding this topic with varying opinions. My advice is experiment and figure out what works for you, the only thing I will say is make sure its free draining soil.

Good luck

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, I meant rain

I can't say that I know what planet you are from with complete honesty, or even what part of this Earth for that matter, since you have yet to fill out your location in your profile, I heard it sometimes rains fish, frog's, and other odd objects in some places, but here, rain is mostly compromised of water!

I'm just messing.

You will find many threads with folks afraid of rain falling on their trees. It's quite odd really, but depending on what kind of soil, and how rainy the rain, it certainly can be an issue.

Everything is an issue until it's not.

You don't want your soil to be "ruined" by a good rain. If you are in camp smart of course, and see rainy days as a day to get something else done since you don't have to water!

So I'd probly ex the cow poop, perlite, composts and cocopeat.

Tests of the other materials could prove useful.

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sometimes rains fish, frog's,
I used to live in a place where it would rain cats and dogs!

As for substrate, it seems like this is the most frequently asked question.. It does not matter all that much, if it is open and free draining, and you can water before it dries out, you are set to go. Ideally, something not rich in limestone, as plants prefer slightly acidic

SND

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
12a
I can't say that I know what planet you are from with complete honesty, or even what part of this Earth for that matter, since you have yet to fill out your location in your profile, I heard it sometimes rains fish, frog's, and other odd objects in some places, but here, rain is mostly compromised of water!

I'm just messing.

You will find many threads with folks afraid of rain falling on their trees. It's quite odd really, but depending on what kind of soil, and how rainy the rain, it certainly can be an issue.

Everything is an issue until it's not.

You don't want your soil to be "ruined" by a good rain. If you are in camp smart of course, and see rainy days as a day to get something else done since you don't have to water!

So I'd probly ex the cow poop, perlite, composts and cocopeat.

Tests of the other materials could prove useful.

Sorce
I updated my location on my profile

YAN

Yamadori
Reaction score
Surprised this war ended short and without casualties. There are some soil threads still running for years.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Surprised this war ended short and without casualties. There are some soil threads still running for years.

No one messes with a dude in a 80gallon hat!

Sorce

• Haha
Reactions: YAN
Top Bottom