What bonsai things would you have done differently had you known?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My brother owns a historic home built in the 1800's era. At the front of the house was two ground junipers that was overgrown for more than 70 years based on the picture documentation of the house. In 2014 when the giant oak in front of the house died by disease and was removed, we also took out the "ugly junipers". If I had known then what little I know now about bonsai, I would have collected them. Thinking back I'm kicking myself so hard.

Tell me what bonsai things you would have done differently had you known. We can learn from our past mistakes so history won't repeat itself.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started in bonsai before the Internet, so things are a little different now, but for several years I thought (mistakenly) that you could learn bonsai from a book. Books help, but nothing replaces hands on experience with someone who knows what they are doing. After a couple of years of bumbling around not knowing what I was doing, I attended my first convention and went to several workshops - and my eyes were opened. I can't under-emphasize this. If you have $1000 to spend on bonsai starting out, you are far better spending it on training with a master, then spending it on trees/material.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm just starting, so I don't have a whole lot to look back to with regrets.
But I too wish I would have started earlier in life. I've been handling plants for over 13 years now in a professional manner, it's weird that I've crossed paths with bonsai so many times and did nothing with it. Especially since I've grown up in a house full of art and actually studied culture & design for a short period.

Looking back I do wish I had more control over my impulsiveness. My girlfriend did some counting and she confronted me with the fact that I own about 150 sticks in pots and just a few 'bonsai' trees. Now in 10 years that's going to be different. But it's going to take 10 years.. But, she did note that she loved the fact that I got some flowering species for her to look at too. Now I just need to break it to her that I've bought seeds and not live plants. But hey, once she gets some of those to play with, my bet is that we'll have a new forum member in a year or so.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Forum/ group advice: Make sure the one offering advice. Is knowledgable to offer it. Don't be afraid to search the info in the search engine. To make sure there are others offering similar advice. Eventually, you know who to take their word to the bank.

Best advice given to me...by a friend in the UK. If you ever make it to a class where you work your tree. It's okay to say, "Let me chew over that. Make sure that's where I see the tree going." He offered it up. Because he wish he had said that himself one day. He instead allowed a well known bonsai artist to remove the direction he had...and go in another direction. Oh, it was still a nice tree, but he lost part of himself in that change. The tree was never the same. He ended up selling it. Because it made him sad every time he looked at it. Advice and direction is always accepted, with the understanding that you chew it over and make sure it is the vision you see yourself.

D

Deleted member 21616

Tell me what bonsai things you would have done differently had you known

I would have bought a house with a yard big enough for a permanent greenhouse/cold frame

when i lied to my wife and said "just 4-5 trees" but was secretly plotting to have 10-15, i was lying to myself too, it turns out :confused:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are some things that took a while to learn, but I wouldn't do differently. That's because, like a few others, I started this pre-Internet. I had to learn by doing and seeking out actual people. Wouldn't change that at all, even though it took some time. I would not change my decision to buy a developed bonsai as one of my first trees (it taught me more than a long list of sticks in pots and it taught me all of that in a couple of years--funny how fear of explaining to your spouse why that expensive tree died will motivate you) I would not buy ANY "indoor" trees. they are a complete waste of time and money and are just disappointing ;)

Biggest change would be buy a house with a bigger yard--but that's not really a bonsai-based decision. It's a budget-based reality. I'd love to have room to make a backyard like Mr. Miyagi's in The Karate Kid...but I have neither the time, nor the $$ for that.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Go with akadama, pumice and lava from the start with my trees instead of trying different mixes that all ended up sucking.
Not try to fix flawed material.
Not try to care for too many trees.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was going to say "marry a wife with a very large checking account"... but then I thought "Wait a minute! She puts up with all the insanity this life long passion has wrought upon my loved ones, allows me to spend hard earned money on ridiculously frivolous things like imported dirt, allows me to spend hours on end futzing around in the yard or on line, etc.... " .... and she makes more money then me:rolleyes:. Any way, that one's a"no go". Time is the one thing you can't improve on, so getting more deeply invested in the hobby sooner in my adult life would have been nice, and starting to grow stock from seedlings a little sooner would have been ok, too.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started in bonsai before the Internet, so things are a little different now, but for several years I thought (mistakenly) that you could learn bonsai from a book. Books help, but nothing replaces hands on experience with someone who knows what they are doing. After a couple of years of bumbling around not knowing what I was doing, I attended my first convention and went to several workshops - and my eyes were opened. I can't under-emphasize this. If you have $1000 to spend on bonsai starting out, you are far better spending it on training with a master, then spending it on trees/material.
Ditto,
Two additional things, 1.Purchased better quality material to begin with. 2. Started collecting native materials sooner.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree with BonsaiNut, as early in your bonsai career as possible, get quality instruction. Buy a few trees that are further along in the process of becoming bonsai. The better trees will teach you. Work with trees that are compatible with your climate. Try to confine yourself to only a few species, especially at first. Once you master those few, then you can broaden out the collection.

One thing to remember, we’re working with trees in pots. Our goal is to successfully keep them alive and healthy in a very contained, small amount of soil, which is totally unnatural for trees. Therefore, a lot of the generalized gardening concepts do not apply, and neither do the arborist concepts where maximum timber growth is the goal.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Forum/ group advice: Make sure the one offering advice. Is knowledgable to offer it. Don't be afraid to search the info in the search engine. To make sure there are others offering similar advice. Eventually, you know who to take their word to the bank.

Best advice given to me...by a friend in the UK. If you ever make it to a class where you work your tree. It's okay to say, "Let me chew over that. Make sure that's where I see the tree going." He offered it up. Because he wish he had said that himself one day. He instead allowed a well known bonsai artist to remove the direction he had...and go in another direction. Oh, it was still a nice tree, but he lost part of himself in that change. The tree was never the same. He ended up selling it. Because it made him sad every time he looked at it. Advice and direction is always accepted, with the understanding that you chew it over and make sure it is the vision you see yourself.

Darlene, this one hits home for me. One should always double check advise, even my advice. Also I did a workshop in September, and still feel really bad for one of the participants, a newbie to the hobby, they looked like they were going to cry when the ''artist'' went at their tree. It was awful by the time the workshop was over. One must say ''No'' sometimes.

There are some things that took a while to learn, but I wouldn't do differently. That's because, like a few others, I started this pre-Internet. I had to learn by doing and seeking out actual people. Wouldn't change that at all, even though it took some time. I would not change my decision to buy a developed bonsai as one of my first trees (it taught me more than a long list of sticks in pots and it taught me all of that in a couple of years--funny how fear of explaining to your spouse why that expensive tree died will motivate you) I would not buy ANY "indoor" trees. they are a complete waste of time and money and are just disappointing ;)

This is good Mark. Yes, fear of loosing an expensive tree is a good motivator to take the time and LEARN. You are absolutely right, sticks in pots will not teach you the full range of techniques. And I am one of the big advocates for starting trees from seed. But you are absolutely right, sticks teach you the basics of horticulture, but not a whole lot of bonsai. You need mature, more developed trees to learn the majority of bonsai techniques, sticks in pots won't do it. Second, to really get the best out of sticks in pots, you need to know what you need in a mature bonsai, and train for it. In reality, it is experienced, ''journeyman or master'' level bonsai people who SHOULD be starting at least some batches of sticks in pots to develop for bonsai. Because they will know how to stay on top of the flaws easiest to correct in very immature material. So I keep starting batches of seed, hopefully I will be able to pass around some nice material for others to continue some day.

For those that don't know me, I started ''goofing around'' with bonsai in 1972 or 1973 and got serious, taking classes in 2002 or 2004. Have always had a few trees since starting in 1973. My big wish is that I would have started taking classes earlier, and had started buying more mature stock. I keep wondering how my trees would look if I had taken classes in the 1980's, rather than waiting until the next century. When I started, I read every book I could find on bonsai, and thought that was ''good enough''. I had no problem learning other subjects from books, (today that would be the internet) I did not grasp the importance of the 4 dimensional aspects of bonsai. Yes, spacial, and TIME. I did not see the time aspects. I always assumed that all the cool techniques you read about were done on any age material. Sticks in pots got the ''mature tree'' techniques. It don't work that way. So to all that have so far only learned about bonsai from the internet, please, do yourself a favor. Take a class, a one day class, or a series of classes through time. If you can't do that, at least make a point of traveling to shows, study trees on display. Go to the demonstrations. Make it a weekend ''vacation'' destination. It will help your bonsai immensely. Second, while I'm all for sticks in pots, as early as you can, invest in more mature material. A mature tree will teach you more about what to do to develop a stick in a pot than a stick in a pot will ever tell you about how to develop a mature tree.

And have fun, it is supposed to be a relaxing hobby. Have a sense of humor. Laugh and enjoy both your successes and failures.. It won't all go the way you want it to.

Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got started by a successful first air layer - turned into a layering maniac and have no regrets because I've learned so much about how trees work from it.

I should have been working on grafting too, back then. I deeply regret it now, that I didn't. ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois dang...that totally sucks about the new guy to the hobby, hazed almost in that way. It's why I am scared to take my trees to the club an hour and a half from me. What...if they want to touch my tree. I just can't allow that. Shaking my head that experience would have such an ill effect on a new guy and their tree. That's so sad...

I get still checking information. But, say...Judy offers up info. We are the same climate and such. I feel it's solid. But we can all make mistakes...so I guess I get your saying to even check what you offer for advice. Good advice there my friend. I must say, I feel more solid on info passed by ones who have work to prove the pudding so to speak.

Top Bottom