What brand akadama do you use and how do you like it?

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello y'all,

I've seen a lot of discussion on the use of akadama in soil mixtures, but no one really talks about the differences in quality from the diffrent brands offering it (like Ibaraki, Double Crane, Ryusen, etc etc). Is there a difference in brand, because I'd like to think so. One would think that the quality of akadama should be the same regardless of brand, but I found otherwise in my experience.
The differences in 'quality' may be caused from how differently they're heat-treated. However, even with brands (I'm talking about Ryusen and Double Crane here) that heat treat their akadama at similar temperatures, like 300C, I still find differences in quality.

Over the last 4 years (I know, a short bonsai career) I've used 3 brands of akadama, all to varying success. I've used Ryusen, Soukaku, and Ibaraki. In my experience, Ryusen broke down the fastest, turning into mud within the first year or two. Ibaraki took a lot longer to break down, allowing me to use it longer. Soukaku is almost identical to Ibaraki. I don't really like Ryusen because it breaks down quickly so I've had a preference for Ibaraki. Even the Ryusen bags have more dust than Ibaraki. My mentor has the complete opposite opinion of me, stating the Ryusen is a much MUCH higher quality akadama than Ibaraki and he stands by that 100%. I think Ibaraki is much better to use, but because he has decades of experience on me, I want to believe he's right. I use 1:1:1 akadama, lava, and pumice with the particle size ranging from 6-8mm for trees (I'm mentioning this for context in case it may be helpful).

I want to know what brand akadama do you use and what's your experience with it. How long does it take to break down, how well your trees responded to it, etc etc

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Sakadama. The only akadama I ever had was too soft and crumbly.
I am not preaching............many others feel differently.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello y'all,

I've seen a lot of discussion on the use of akadama in soil mixtures, but no one really talks about the differences in quality from the diffrent brands offering it (like Ibaraki, Double Crane, Ryusen, etc etc). Is there a difference in brand, because I'd like to think so. One would think that the quality of akadama should be the same regardless of brand, but I found otherwise in my experience.
The differences in 'quality' may be caused from how differently they're heat-treated. However, even with brands (I'm talking about Ryusen and Double Crane here) that heat treat their akadama at similar temperatures, like 300C, I still find differences in quality.

Over the last 4 years (I know, a short bonsai career) I've used 3 brands of akadama, all to varying success. I've used Ryusen, Soukaku, and Ibaraki. In my experience, Ryusen broke down the fastest, turning into mud within the first year or two. Ibaraki took a lot longer to break down, allowing me to use it longer. Soukaku is almost identical to Ibaraki. I don't really like Ryusen because it breaks down quickly so I've had a preference for Ibaraki. Even the Ryusen bags have more dust than Ibaraki. My mentor has the complete opposite opinion of me, stating the Ryusen is a much MUCH higher quality akadama than Ibaraki and he stands by that 100%. I think Ibaraki is much better to use, but because he has decades of experience on me, I want to believe he's right. I use 1:1:1 akadama, lava, and pumice with the particle size ranging from 6-8mm for trees (I'm mentioning this for context in case it may be helpful).

I want to know what brand akadama do you use and what's your experience with it. How long does it take to break down, how well your trees responded to it, etc etc
I have a bunch of Soukaku Double Crane, but havent use it yet.

Ibaraki and Double blend are the one that I have tried.
Its a hit and miss, sometimes it takes awhile to broke down. Some of them in 1 year its already clogging.
What is your take on Soukaku? its high fired, what do you notice about it (Im planning to use it next year repot season).

bdmatt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a bunch of Soukaku Double Crane, but havent use it yet.

Ibaraki and Double blend are the one that I have tried.
Its a hit and miss, sometimes it takes awhile to broke down. Some of them in 1 year its already clogging.
What is your take on Soukaku? its high fired, what do you notice about it (Im planning to use it next year repot season).
Interesting you say it's a hit or miss because I also experience the same thing with Ryusen as you do with Ibaraki.

Soukaku, I've used for 2 years now. I've used 8 bags worth so far and I have to say, I prefer it over the other brands. 8 bags are a small sample size to gauge overall quality of a brand, however I've had consistency in those 8 bags. In terms of performance, I'd say they function as you expect. My soukaku starts to break down after 2 years, which is expected of akadama. On the surface, there's slight decay, but it isn't mush and there isn't clogging. There's still very good drainage and at this rate, I can probably hold off repotting for another year or two. Overall, soukaku is a solid brand. There may be a better-quality bag of akadama, BUT I love that soukaku consistent. Then again, it's hard to gauge the relative quality of soukaku since I've only used two other brands.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ibaraki every time for me, had lots of hit or miss with double line. Ibaraki holds up better with less powder upon delivery.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting you say it's a hit or miss because I also experience the same thing with Ryusen as you do with Ibaraki.

Soukaku, I've used for 2 years now. I've used 8 bags worth so far and I have to say, I prefer it over the other brands. 8 bags are a small sample size to gauge overall quality of a brand, however I've had consistency in those 8 bags. In terms of performance, I'd say they function as you expect. My soukaku starts to break down after 2 years, which is expected of akadama. On the surface, there's slight decay, but it isn't mush and there isn't clogging. There's still very good drainage and at this rate, I can probably hold off repotting for another year or two. Overall, soukaku is a solid brand. There may be a better-quality bag of akadama, BUT I love that soukaku consistent. Then again, it's hard to gauge the relative quality of soukaku since I've only used two other brands.
Thats good to hear, I bought alot of soukaku and definitely going to use this spring season! thanks! (I thought Soukaku is a lower quality brand)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ibaraki every time for me, had lots of hit or miss with double line. Ibaraki holds up better with less powder upon delivery.

Do you mind if I ask where you purchase Ibaraki?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Whatever kind I can get at the time I’m trying to place the order. It’s often a challenge to find it in the particle size range I happen to want at that moment (Murphy’s Law), so what kind I end up getting is usually different from the last time.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I use whatever is the cheapest. But it's only used as a one particle thick top layer, because I needed something that cakes up. Looking for better moss growth to stop particles from jumping around, and hoping that the birds lose their appetite.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I use Sakadama. The only akadama I ever had was too soft and crumbly.
I am not preaching............many others feel differently.
How's your experience with Sakadama? And how long have you been using it?
Interested to find out as it's probably the more "affordable" option for me

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ibaraki and Double Red Line. I try to get it from Jonas when ever possible, he sells out rather quickly. Never had an issue with either one.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use whatever is the cheapest. But it's only used as a one particle thick top layer, because I needed something that cakes up. Looking for better moss growth to stop particles from jumping around, and hoping that the birds lose their appetite.
bought some just last week, it came in a rice bag 😂🤣

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@all

Anyone have experience on this Banzai Blend? I saw it on Jonas site. It looks interesting because at the bottom it says koyabashi.

Another question, i notice lots of people prefer Aoki blend? Why is that?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have started adding lava until it ...looks...unbreakdownable.
So far, so good.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@all

Anyone have experience on this Banzai Blend? I saw it on Jonas site. It looks interesting because at the bottom it says koyabashi.

Another question, i notice lots of people prefer Aoki blend? Why is that?
Aoki blend is similar to what Mach5 uses... except he doesn't add lava to it. As far as I know it should be great for deciduous trees, as the kyriu in it holds more water than normal pumice. I don't know why they call it pumice, as it is not a stone and it breaks down just like akadama. It is the soil used in Taisho-En, where the owner is Master Nobuichi Urushibata, father of Taiga Urushibata. I think Taiga is managing Taisho-En now.

The banzai blend is very similar to the common 2-1-1 recommended for deciduous by Bjorn.

Top Bottom