What can be done in the meantime if a fukien tea can't be transplanted into new soil?

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
In view of suggestions in my other thread that my fukien is probably in need of new soil, any suggestions being that there is no way I can get to do any thing with it for at least 3-4 weeks? It was mentioned that there is likely air getting to the roots, so I tamped the pot against a carpet - as one would do with most newly potted plants to settle the ground around the roots. Obviously, this action may have no positive effect whatsoever on the fukien, but thought it might not be a bad idea.

Have never repotted a bonsai before, so looking for helpful advice. The reason I started the other thread (about fertilizer balls) was due to the sudden yellowing of the leaves the past 2 weeks.

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 28

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You can repot it now or any time because it's tropical. You don't have to wait until spring. If you have to wait for other reasons then there's no need to worry, it will be fine in that soil until then. With that soil it can be easier to water by submerging the whole pot for 10 minutes to make sure the water gets where it needs to.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Peterbone....interesting comment about the submerging. Wonder if it's not getting enough water by my method, which has generally been to use a mister and spray just the top of the soil all around the pot until it looks pretty wet (have basically always done it this way). When I first got it, I would water every few days until some ran out the bottom (as I do all my other plants) but then it just seemed to do better with a more frequent, but much lighter, daily watering (spraying).

Perhaps until repotting, go back to a more deeper watering method. Watched a video of a guy repotting one of these. All he did was take the thing out, comb the old soil away from the roots, stick it back in the pot and add new soil. (Was actually surprised to see he didn't tamp it down at all). There are other, longer videos that I'll check out as well. Part of my problem is it's wired together below the pot. So I guess snip that and then....what...does it need rewiring again once repotted?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Just water from the top, like you did when you first got it, instead of the misting. They don't like to be too dry, nor soaking wet. Maybe get something else to take care of that's not so finicky. Just in case.........or to keep you from killing this one with kindness.

three4rd

Mame
Reaction score
Well, it was a gift, so I'd sort of hate to lose it. I have many plants, but never a bonsai before I got this. Hopefully it'll hang in there until I get a chance to repot.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please factor this in - Sub - Tropical.
Mainland China has no tropical zone.
The shrub will rest from Christmas until February.
Zone 9 in the ground.
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom