What can I do with this Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum Atropurpureum)

ahmedakram

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hey, so I'm new to Bonsai and I've been through quite the articles and videos and wanted to get some hands on experience. I'm a huge fan of maples and saw this one on an online site and was thinking of buying it since it's fairly cheap.

Some of my questions are:
- would this work as a bonsai? (I think the answer is "anything works for a beginner" right?)
- Can I repot it and wire it at this time of year? and if not both, is one of them acceptable?

I live in London, UK. and our weather currently is averaging around High: 23 Celsius, Low: 16 Celsius, however it's all over the place, last few weeks we were averaging 30s

I intend to keep in my balcony outside where I have both east and south exposures.

s-l500.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a decent enough plant.

Important factor would be whether it is grafted (So, is the plant used for the roots different from the foliage). This *can* create ugly transitions & differences in bark: Not something you would want for bonsai.

Repotting: no.
Trimming: Yes, but be carefull: We are over the peak of daylength and slowly plants are thinking about winter. I think you are still a good 3 months away from winter so you can consider the basic pruning.

I would however not do this alone. Find someone near you with experience so you can sit down and do this together.

All the videos make it look easy. But.. If you do not know what you are doing, it is easier to do the wrong things than the right things!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
No to repotting during the growing season for maple but I trim all year round.
Japanese maple is not quite as responsive as the trident maple but still used a lot for bonsai. Whether this one will make a good bonsai is entirely up to you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

The landscape looks wonderful.

Sorce

ahmedakram

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Looks like a decent enough plant.

Important factor would be whether it is grafted (So, is the plant used for the roots different from the foliage). This *can* create ugly transitions & differences in bark: Not something you would want for bonsai.

Repotting: no.
Trimming: Yes, but be carefull: We are over the peak of daylength and slowly plants are thinking about winter. I think you are still a good 3 months away from winter so you can consider the basic pruning.

I would however not do this alone. Find someone near you with experience so you can sit down and do this together.

All the videos make it look easy. But.. If you do not know what you are doing, it is easier to do the wrong things than the right things!

Thanks a lot for the reply :))

Unfortunately, being so new I don't know how or where to meet people with similar interest especially with the current quarantine situation. But I think I'll probably get some cheaper nursery stock and practice on it? also saw a Ryan Neil in the Mirai beginner series, showing someone how to practice wiring on a dead branch maybe that's a good way to start as well?

ahmedakram

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
No to repotting during the growing season for maple but I trim all year round.
Japanese maple is not quite as responsive as the trident maple but still used a lot for bonsai. Whether this one will make a good bonsai is entirely up to you.
Thanks for the advice Shibui!

what would you consider a good start, different varieties of Junipers are pretty accessible for me are these considered good starting material?

ahmedakram

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Welcome to Crazy!

The landscape looks wonderful.

Sorce
Hey Sorce, thanks for the welcome 😁

wish this was my landscape, this is the person selling the tree, but hey one day!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Every species provides challenges.
Much depens on your expectations and standards of bonsai. Your JM should make a good tree in a pot which you may find quite acceptable. Others may have higher standards and expect a lot more from the trunk, branches and overall appearance.
What you can achieve in a given time frame will depend on what you start with. Knowing and choosing well will yield a better bonsai quicker. Look for a relatively thick trunk, trunk with taper or ability to prune to side branches for taper. Good trunk shape or ability to prune to get good trunk shape. Plenty of branches or well placed branches. Small leaf varieties where possible.

Junipers can be good for a relatively instant start to bonsai if you can find a good trunk and suitable branches to work with.

JM can make good bonsai but not always easy to maintain as good bonsai because of their growth habits. JM grown for landscape often do not have suitable trunk or branches for bonsai so will take a number of years to develop a good shape and branches. Watch out for ugly grafts.
At most bonsai shows you will see far more trident maples because they are far more responsive and don't have a number of the drawbacks of JM. I would recommend trident over JM for any beginner.

Chinese elms are also fast growing, easy to grow and maintain and also a traditional favorite. Suitable for all sized bonsai.

Ficus are very hardy (except to cold) and can even be kept indoors. Many are really quick to grow and develop into bonsai.

Privet are tough, fast and responsive. Not a traditional bonsai species but very good.
Cotoneasters are also readily available, easy to keep and many have nice small leaves as well as autumn berries.
Azaleas can be great bonsai if you an rescue and older one from someone's garden. They transplant really easy. Smaller nursery stock is very slow to grow and can be frustrating for new growers but they do have lovely flowers from the start.

There are lots more suitable species. It depends what will grow and is available in your area.

Top Bottom