• 20190509_190906.jpg
    20190509_190906.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 53

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First, quit removing all the interior growth. “Opening it up” makes it look like a Bonsai at first, but you’re actually removing the growth you need in order to ultimately make the tree compact.

Second, are you going for a multiple-trunk style, or a single trunk?

Third, do you know what kind of tree you have? Spruce?

Fourth, where are you in this world, and are you keeping it outside?

Pangsai

Seedling
Reaction score
First, quit removing all the interior growth. “Opening it up” makes it look like a Bonsai at first, but you’re actually removing the growth you need in order to ultimately make the tree compact.

Second, are you going for a multiple-trunk style, or a single trunk?

Third, do you know what kind of tree you have? Spruce?

Fourth, where are you in this world, and are you keeping it outside?

1.Firstly thank you for guidance.
2. Make it multiple but I think majority branches are too young..
3. Mine i think is false Cypress.
4.im from Malaysia.. A freaking crazy hot country most of the time. I keep my plants at the balcony which able to get direct sunlight.

Pangsai

Seedling
Reaction score

Totally agree with you... Perhaps i should just let it be what it is first...

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can remove some foliage from the ends of the branches. You can start by clipping each branch back to a split. That way it doesn’t end up getting “leggy.”

I can’t tell from the pictures whether the tree looks healthy or not, but if not then you should probably wait to prune.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
“Opening it up” makes it look like a Bonsai at first,

Isn't it...

opening it up makes it look like a "bonsai" at first,

?

Looks like a blue Shore or whatever that one is.

Sorce

Pangsai

Seedling
Reaction score
You can remove some foliage from the ends of the branches. You can start by clipping each branch back to a split. That way it doesn’t end up getting “leggy.”

I can’t tell from the pictures whether the tree looks healthy or not, but if not then you should probably wait to prune.

It looks healthy and feel solid.. Im jz confuse which part should prune off and which part to keep or jz leave it to grow further

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Boulevard false cypress... http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?taxonid=244232. It can make decent bonsai material but doesn't bud back, so the goal is to preserve whatever growth you have low down on the trunks. If you're happy with the size of the trunks, you can cut back areas with lots of foliage to allow light into the canopy. If you're wanting a bigger tree with thicker trunks, you gotta let it grow.

Top Bottom