What can I expect from the vendors at Winter Silhouette?

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What can I expect from the vendors at Winter Silhouette this weekend? My shopping list includes Orange Dream and coarse akadama mix, maybe a cascade pot

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there a vendor listing on the marketing information. That might help target thoughts.

I usually go to any show with a simple need-it list on paper. I focus on my needs first...not my impulse “wants”. I try not to get to distracted by “everything” that’s offered. I try to curb impulse buying of tree material that I cannot really visualize in an end look. I’d never buy anything that would make me ask a group....what would you do? Because if I don’t have a good clue and I don’t know what I’d do....I don’t buy it.

I usually have some substrate on my list. Crushed Lava and pine bark chips were on my last list along with a specific aluminum wire I needed to secure roots into my grow boxes.

I won’t buy a pot with a crack in it just because it’s really cheap.

I ask lots of questions while there are vendor salespeople right there....maybe not for buying right now....but for knowledge of something that I could possible use in the future. I don’t buy a tool unless I actually need the tool....right now. Salespeople like to talk about their products. It’s a great learning time experience. I enjoy substrate use questions....I can always learn more. I really enjoy talking to a potter.

I spend more time studying individual trees displayed attempting to recreate the process of development that was followed. From that study time I may see a technique used that I can transfer to some trees I have....and determine if I have what’s needed to accomplish the objective. That might be an instance where I go back to a vendor with something specific in mind because I have a solid direction for a tree in development.

A silhouette show is a perfect time to explore tree structures and what was done over time. It’s nice to engage someone with experience at a show and ask questions about a specific tree....and how it grew to this stage.

That's how I approach a show....any time of the year.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
SM,

You will find Akadama and cascade pots. Orange Dream is doubtful unless you reach out to a vendor or 2 and see if one has one they can bring/acquire for you. I do not believe I have seen one at the Silhouette Show so far.

Regards,
Martin

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're up early? It's a cultivar of JM that has lime-yellow leaves.
More of a “can’t sleep”. Sometimes I wake up a three a.m., and can’t fall back asleep.

Hadn’t heard about that particular cultivar of Japanese Maple. I have no idea where to go to get one of those. There are nurseries that specialize in JM. Probably best to get one from them, and airlayer it.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
More of a “can’t sleep”. Sometimes I wake up a three a.m., and can’t fall back asleep.

Hadn’t heard about that particular cultivar of Japanese Maple. I have no idea where to go to get one of those. There are nurseries that specialize in JM. Probably best to get one from them, and airlayer it.

A lot of the bigger nurseries have them. Only issue is that they are all grafted which leads me to believe they are hard to root or don't root at all. When I was stationed in Italy I had one as a landscape tree and it grew up to 8ft. When I got orders to come back stateside back in 2016 I pulled it and potted it up and gave it to my sister-in-law. I had planted it over a large tile so removal was easy. They are a really pretty JM but burn very easily in full sun. I plan to get a couple more again next year. Hopefully I can try layering and cuttings if I can get one with enough growth.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
you're not going to find such a specialty maple for sale at a bonsai show, unless you get very very lucky. Specialty maples are best sourced from specialty maple vendors

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you're not going to find such a specialty maple for sale at a bonsai show, unless you get very very lucky. Specialty maples are best sourced from specialty maple vendors

And, really, the best maples for bonsai have always been just regular Japanese Maples, from seed. The Japanese call them “Green Mountain Maples”.

Not to say the cultivars don’t make good bonsai, too, but the “plain” JM are stronger, grow faster, their leaves reduce, grow multiple flushes, etc. The fancy varieties can often be less vigorous, only send out one flush of growth in spring, etc.

But, hey! Variety is the spice of life!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Fwiw, the vendors are top notch. Several different potters will be vending, along with others selling tools, stands, pre bonsai, finished bonsai, etc. I'm willing to bet you take home a few things that aren't currently on your list...;).

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fwiw, the vendors are top notch. Several different potters will be vending, along with others selling tools, stands, pre bonsai, finished bonsai, etc. I'm willing to bet you take home a few things that aren't currently on your list...;).
Dave, that post was TOTALLY on topic! What’s with that??? This is BonsaiNut! Don’t you know that’s not allowed here?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, that post was TOTALLY on topic! What’s with that??? This is BonsaiNut! Don’t you know that’s not allowed here?
Sorry, Adair... the excitement over attending the show next weekend has temporarily dulled my wit, sarcasm, and douchebaggery. I will hopefully be back to true form in a week or two... promise!

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In my experience, the Winter Silhouette Show will have all the substrate and wire and tools you need. Seedlings and rough stock are pretty plentiful although the exact species will vary. Pottery is hit or miss depending on who is vending, but sometimes some nice stuff will be there. Display items like stones and stands are pretty random. Intermediate or nicer trees are uncommon..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And, really, the best maples for bonsai have always been just regular Japanese Maples, from seed. The Japanese call them “Green Mountain Maples”.

Not to say the cultivars don’t make good bonsai, too, but the “plain” JM are stronger, grow faster, their leaves reduce, grow multiple flushes, etc. The fancy varieties can often be less vigorous, only send out one flush of growth in spring, etc.

I was going to say that, but I've found that the "plain is better" advice often is at odds with people who have fallen in love with particular varieties. Those love affairs are often short lived when the cultivar fails to live up to the relationship...;-)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was going to say that, but I've found that the "plain is better" advice often is at odds with people who have fallen in love with particular varieties. Those love affairs are often short lived when the cultivar fails to live up to the relationship...;-)
Interestingly enough, cultivars are better for Japanese White Pine. Go figure.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. My infatuation with the Orange Dream will probably die away after I get one, like all things in life when I want something and finally get it the anticipation of getting it is always better. But lets hope not. Orange Dream is a popular cultivar right now and next to impossible to get on the east coast right now. The things I like about them are that they are deer resistant, can handle more sun than most maples are more cold resistant than most maples and their spring colors are hard to beat with a vibrant orange. If you guys use Instagram there is a guy on there Buffalobonsai that has one, there are a few guys on bonsai nut that bonsai them in Europe with good results. I already have a mountain maple, an arakawa, 2 mikawas

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
We may still have an Orange Dream at work, 6’, grafted. Fall foliage was pretty striking. We definitely didn’t grow it but I’ll try to find out where we sourced it from.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. My infatuation with the Orange Dream will probably die away after I get one, like all things in life when I want something and finally get it the anticipation of getting it is always better. But lets hope not. Orange Dream is a popular cultivar right now and next to impossible to get on the east coast right now. The things I like about them are that they are deer resistant, can handle more sun than most maples are more cold resistant than most maples and their spring colors are hard to beat with a vibrant orange. If you guys use Instagram there is a guy on there Buffalobonsai that has one, there are a few guys on bonsai nut that bonsai them in Europe with good results. I already have a mountain maple, an arakawa, 2 mikawas

The Orange dream cultivar cannot handle summer sun or heat. If they don't receive afternoon shade their leaves will be scorched by the start of summer. I bought mine probably 10yrs ago as a 8" graft. Planted it out in the yard and let it grow natural for the most part about 8ft. The last 2yrs I had it, it was producing a good amount of small seeds. They also are not fast growers I would say between slow and moderate.

In general with JM the darker the leaf the more sun they can tolerate.

Top Bottom