What care is needed to keep it alive?

IrishCrow

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey everyone. I have this juniper that has great movement but I had to clear out a huge amount of branches and foliage to open it up. Now it's looking pretty weak. So far I've kept it from being watered down as much as I could. My area has been having a couple days of rain every week so I had to bring it inside every day it rained so it didn't get water logged. I've also kept it out if heavy sun. It gets some morning sun and indirect sun in the afternoon. But even with all that it's a little brown and weak. What could I do to bring it back? Like I said, it's a beautiful tree with great curves so ide hate to loose it. Here is a couple pics. Tell me what ya think. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_112850.jpg
    IMG_20170513_112850.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20170513_112902.jpg
    IMG_20170513_112902.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20170513_112908.jpg
    IMG_20170513_112908.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 58

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Trees' natural habitat is outside in the sunshine. Nobody brings in all the junipers from the wild when it rains a lot. They're equipped to handle it, far better than the hard pruning this one has endured.
Leave it alone outside and let it be until it shows signs of life(?) for a while. Might have spider mites too.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Im with brian only thing i could add is try to mist it allot that realy helps allot

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All of my 10 junipers are all outside from April-December, in the rain, wind, and sun. In the fall, I let them get a light frost and sometimes a light snow before I put them in the coldframe for the winter. They do not belong inside and will die if you keep them inside. Hate to say it but it might already be too late for this one but follow Brian's advice and see if it comes back.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Your pictures aren't clear enough to be sure but juniper foliage that's "brown and weak" usually means dead. Over pruning, crappy soil, keeping inside... can't be sure, but that tree is probably circling the drain. You'll know in the next month or so... in the meantime, put it in full sun and only water when the soil dry. As others have said, junipers need to be outside...

Top Bottom