What conifer best for this treatment?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Awhile back on a thread I posted this photo...and it keeps haunting me occassionally. It's quirky...not sure if it's considered an appropriate bonsai style...or what it's called. But none the less...it's cute. I like it's small stature the most.
image_zps509e8e56.jpg

That said...I was tempted to buy this...but, I "have" wire I bought. So why not make my own...I compared this one to the larger photo and I see it lacking. Maybe I just wished it mimicked the first trees movements... I am attaching via the site because photobucket is not working properly now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 47

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Definitely intersting. I would view the front from the other side so the first third of the trunk is visible. Just a preference of mine. Doesn't make it wrong or right.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely intersting. I would view the front from the other side so the first third of the trunk is visible. Just a preference of mine. Doesn't make it wrong or right.

It's for sale...here is the side you said you preferred. I felt it had less of a punch from that side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 49

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In answer to the original question as your header indiates; the best tree for this treatment would be one of the Junipers. The impact of the twisted trunk will become lost among the distraction of the overly long needles of the Pine when compared to the obviously small size of the tree. If the greatest dynamic in this tree is the twisted trunk you almost have to use a Juniper. The way this could be changed would be if the trunk were bigger so that the Pine needles become less a distraction due to the size disparity being smaller. JMHO

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In answer to the original question as your header indiates; the best tree for this treatment would be one of the Junipers. The impact of the twisted trunk will become lost among the distraction of the overly long needles of the Pine when compared to the obviously small size of the tree. If the greatest dynamic in this tree is the twisted trunk you almost have to use a Juniper. The way this could be changed would be if the trunk were bigger so that the Pine needles become less a distraction due to the size disparity being smaller. JMHO

Thanks Vance! I kept thinking something was just off. I bet it was my mind comparing the size needles as well.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's for sale...here is the side you said you preferred. I felt it had less of a punch from that side.

Darlene, this is a Pine in this picture. The one from your first post is a Juniper, you can see the pine is in a red pot while the Juniper is in a yeloow-ish pot.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, this is a Pine in this picture. The one from your first post is a Juniper, you can see the pine is in a red pot while the Juniper is in a yeloow-ish pot.

ed

Right, a Procumben juniper...(I have a box store cookie cutter one that is 6" long 4 1/2" tall) I was looking at trunk movement...and, not liking the pine in this similar style. Possibly the long needles looked off. Something was off...

Just wasn't sure if another variety other than a Procumben would look better.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right, a Procumben juniper...(I have a box store cookie cutter one that is 6" long 4 1/2" tall) I was looking at trunk movement...and, not liking the pine in this similar style. Possibly the long needles looked off. Something was off...

Just wasn't sure if another variety other than a Procumben would look better.

Ok, lol I see it now. I did not notice the small pine in your first post. Personally I like the Pro-Nanas they get a rugged looking bark quicker than most other Junipers. You have to bend them young as they are brittle and break easily when bent (procumbens nana) unless you wrap them with raffia first, which is a good practise anyway to minimalize scarring.

ed

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The second pic appears to be a Japanese Black Pine.

Poorly wired, I might add.

The needle length of JBP can be managed. I have a JBP with 1/2 inch needles. When I bought the tree, it had 3 inch needles.

It all depends on the timing of the decandling. Want longer needles? Decandle in the late spring/early summer. Want short needles? Decandle mid summer. Want really, really short needles? Decandle nearer the end of summer.

(Don't wait TOO late, the summer candles wont have time to harden off before winter.)

Shohin should be decandled late July. At least, where I live in NE Georgia.

(All this depends upon the length of your growing season.)

Top Bottom