What "debris flow" looks like in Southern California....

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should collect some of that nutrient rich water for your trees.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I saw something similar, but way more violent from the swiss alps this year. Nature is freaking scary!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Apparently when you have a lot of dirt and debris in a creekbed, the water backs up behind it, and then moves down a little, and then gets snagged on something else. Eventually the mass of water becomes irresistible, and the whole channel lets loose, and then the water starts tearing up rocks and boulders as it picks up speed.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It pushes 'flash floods' to a whole new level.
I haven't been following the news, but are those fires under control now @Bonsai Nut ?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It pushes 'flash floods' to a whole new level.
I haven't been following the news, but are those fires under control now @Bonsai Nut ?

I actually live in part of California that doesn't get fires - it is too developed. The fires start out in the forests / scrub. California has ZERO restrictions on development, so they let all kinds of people build housing out in high-risk burn areas, and when they inevitably burn, people are left wondering - why? And then they rebuild. And burn again. And rebuild...

In the case of the canyon in the video, it is located in Cleveland National Forest. Some idiot who lived in a cabin up that canyon allegedly got into an argument with his neighbors and lit a brush fire to teach them a lesson. 23,000 acres later, the guy is looking at life in prison if convicted.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I actually live in part of California that doesn't get fires - it is too developed. The fires start out in the forests / scrub. California has ZERO restrictions on development, so they let all kinds of people build housing out in high-risk burn areas, and when they inevitably burn, people are left wondering - why? And then they rebuild. And burn again. And rebuild...

In the case of the canyon in the video, it is located in Cleveland National Forest. Some idiot who lived in a cabin up that canyon allegedly got into an argument with his neighbors and lit a brush fire to teach them a lesson. 23,000 acres later, the guy is looking at life in prison if convicted.
I have heard about the insurance companies who are pulling out of California, I wonder what will happen if that comes to pass that there isn't coverage available.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have heard about the insurance companies who are pulling out of California, I wonder what will happen if that comes to pass that there isn't coverage available.

After the last big quake (in Northridge) the vacation homes up in the mountains and around Big Bear Lake plummeted in value - because insurers refused to write quake insurance policies for them (the Northridge fault being a previously unknown fault). Slowly over the last 25 years values have recovered... even though many people don't have insurance.

If you can believe it, the majority of homeowners in California do not have quake insurance. That's not a misquote. And in the higher risk areas like San Francisco that percentage is 90%+ that don't have insurance. Get ready East Coast if a big quake hits out here, because I'll guarantee you that California is going to expect the Feds (and your tax dollars) to come to the rescue - simply because homeowners here are irresponsible and expect someone else to bear the burden. It is truly a national catastrophe waiting to happen and will make the national flood insurance program look like a tiny blip compared to the expense. The median home value in this state is $550,000. In the four county area where I live (LA/Orange County/Riverside/San Bernadino) the housing value is $2.8 TRILLION - and then you have the San Diego metro area and the most expensive of all - San Francisco/San Jose metro area. It is unfathomable.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/2...ost-dont-have-earthquake-insurance-2014-10-17

Last edited:

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
I am in that business. There is always coverage, like cancer you just have to pay for it. Want to drink and drive? Even those guys get insurance......for a lot of money!!!

They don’t leave California because the claims are too many, they leave cause the expense to to business here is too expensive. Cost per foot of real estate is high, guys like Greg and his 550,000.00 dollar house want 150,000.00 a year salary. That’s the reason.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
guys like Greg and his 550,000.00 dollar house want 150,000.00 a year salary. That’s the reason.

The median price of a home in San Jose just passed $1 million this year(!) But it still pales in comparison to the median price of a home in San Francisco - which just passed $1.6 million... and 90%+ don't have quake insurance.

Makes us poor slobs living in Orange County feel like slum dogs :) Median price here is only $720,000.

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
The median price of a home in San Jose just passed $1 million this year(!) But it still pales in comparison to the median price of a home in San Francisco - which just passed $1.6 million... and 90%+ don't have quake insurance.

Makes us poor slobs living in Orange County feel like slum dogs :) Median price here is only $720,000.
That’s why I live in Fresno. Median here is $20,000.00 and two Modelo’s.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Similar situation for the Big Island Hawaii. The area known as the East Rift Zone is an area where no insurance will cover a home for damage caused by the volcano Kilauea. On the north and west sides of the big island, homes are similar in price to San Francisco. In the volcanic hazard zone along the east rift zone, you can get a property for less than $50,000. Kilauea was erupting May through August in the east rift zone, paved a few square miles with lava 24 feet deep or more. Check out the archives at these two sites for cool videos of houses being covered in lava.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/volcanoes/kilauea/multimedia_chronology.html

Bananaman

Chumono
Reaction score
Two Modelos. One for the buyer and...?
Well. I don’t like to brag about the people I hang out with but he weighs 267 has two teardrop tattoos by his eye and has “FRESNO” on his neck. When he shows up it has to be Modelo Negro.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The people who stand next to a mudslide always strike me as future Darwin award winners! When things start coming down the mountain the last thing to do is stand next to it, and expect it to be safe and predictable.

substratum

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The people who stand next to a mudslide always strike me as future Darwin award winners! When things start coming down the mountain the last thing to do is stand next to it, and expect it to be safe and predictable.
The Darwin Awards are typically for the young, because the criteria for winning one is, "Enriching the gene pool by dying without contributing to it... without progeny." Once someone has a biological child, they are disqualified for the award. Most of the knuckleheads in that footage look old enough to be parents.

People that like to watch the uncontrollable power of nature from the front row are crazy, or really naive.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Darwin Awards are typically for the young, because the criteria for winning one is, "Enriching the gene pool by dying without contributing to it... without progeny." Once someone has a biological child, they are disqualified for the award. Most of the knuckleheads in that footage look old enough to be parents.

People that like to watch the uncontrollable power of nature from the front row are crazy, or really naive.

Thanks for the clarification. I get bits and pieces of modern lingo from my kids or apprentices at work, neither are the best with details!?

Top Bottom