What did I find on trip in tenn

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lol. I would have thought being an Ohioan you would have been trained to recognize buckeye from birth. Sleeping in beds lined with buckeye leaves, eating buckeye salads, wearing buckeye underwear, reciting the characteristics of buckeye flowers in kindergarten and all that. Good news is that it might not be an Ohio buckeye. Perhaps it's a Red or Yellow buckeye and you have something exotic after all.
Ha the thing is I'm from Kentucky and tell everybody that ask that I ended up on the wrong side of the river. 40 years in Kentucky and I always said I wouldn't live in Ohio and here I am. Funny what a wife can talk you into. We just built a house by her family where she grew up so I guess I can blame her for not being able to tell what it was.

When this gets big enough to be able to tell what should I be looking for to see which one I have? And yes keeping my fingers crossed its something like a red or yellow and not an Ohio since I can get plenty of those right where I'm at.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Well, a quick glance at the range maps tells me that all three grow in Ohio too - you might be SOL if you're looking for a non-native buckeye that grows in Tennessee but not Ohio.

In terms of telling the difference, I think you'll have to wait until it flowers. Red buckeye is named after the beautiful red flowers. Ohio and Yellow have yellow flowers, but the Ohio buckeye makes those weird shiny nuts. I was a non native transplant into Ohio for a while. But in those days we had to learn the buckeye tree before we were allowed to cross the border. Sounds like they've gotten lax on their immigration policy. Probably Kasich did it.

Spdyracer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, a quick glance at the range maps tells me that all three grow in Ohio too - you might be SOL if you're looking for a non-native buckeye that grows in Tennessee but not Ohio.

In terms of telling the difference, I think you'll have to wait until it flowers. Red buckeye is named after the beautiful red flowers. Ohio and Yellow have yellow flowers, but the Ohio buckeye makes those weird shiny nuts. I was a non native transplant into Ohio for a while. But in those days we had to learn the buckeye tree before we were allowed to cross the border. Sounds like they've gotten lax on their immigration policy. Probably Kasich did it.
Thanks markyscott for the help much appreciated. Always good to know what you have. Guess I'll just have to give it time and see what kind of flowers come out one day.

Do you know if any variation is better than the other for bonsai like leaf size or node length? If not I can do some research on each type and and hope for the best.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks markyscott for the help much appreciated. Always good to know what you have. Guess I'll just have to give it time and see what kind of flowers come out one day.

Do you know if any variation is better than the other for bonsai like leaf size or node length? If not I can do some research on each type and and hope for the best.

Sorry spidy - I don't know. My guess is that they're all variations on not particularly good, but I've no experience with buckeye as bonsai. At the very least, you'll have a beautiful living souvenir to remember your Tennessee trip by. Might want to move it away from your house though. They get big.

Top Bottom