What did you do bonsai-wise this weekend?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sifted soil components, sifted more soil components, sifted.....
Mixed 3 1/2 buckets of soil
8 trees repotted Saturday
2 trees repotted Sunday
Selective pruning done on 5-6 trees.
All trees fed and watered

Whew...no wonder Im tired and tomorrow is Monday :cool::(

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found me a sick Buckthorn for next spring!

Linden flowers are beautiful.

I'm on a mission for Linden!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Put my small trees into a humidity tray, pruned some Lonicera, put a ficus retusa in the greenhouse (it's still 7c/45F during the day).

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been dark in the AM when I leave for work at 5am and dark when I get home at midnight... no bonsai love for me this weekend...or sleep...
DT all weekend though.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Read threads and look at pictures of my own trees. Would love to see and work on them but time is not permitting. :(

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Root pruned Hornbeam, Zelkova, and American Elms. Cleaned up the growing grounds....eliminated the on-the-ground leaves and weeds. And....walked around looking for buds on branches of the Celtis Sinensis Hackberry trees ground-growing.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nothing major...pruned back the Virginia Creeper. It was getting wild...watched my husband stain my 7' bench with that leaded window. Did more work in the landscape than anything. Oh...bought another tree... :cool: Sweet shohin Bald Cypress. I need to stop with the itch of buying trees. Or I will reach my mental limit no time fast. :rolleyes:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
watered everyone outside, moved a few from shade to sun,
Potted up a Sassafras stump I just collected this week.
Potted up a couple trunks of either hackberry or elm, too young to tell by the bark. Collected them with the sassafras.

Don't know if the sassafras will make it, past attempts always failed. This time I made a point of using an acidic soil blend, and will try to water only with rain water. Essentially treat it like a blueberry. Which are more fussy about acidic soil than an azalea would be. Time will tell. It was an easy dig, so if it don't work, I won't be out much in the way of time or effort.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Air layered a landscape j. Maple that I took a layer off of last year.

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
repotted a pine...noticed what looks like mealy bugs or some fuzzy white stuff on some of my pines! ewww...it's been years since I had any sort of bug problem! time for the 3-in-1 to kill the bugs

Watered trees and enjoyed them!

erb.75

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
that's what happens with new trees though...they usually come with bugs...but the bugs don't survive too long once I notice them :)

Dave E

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
mixed a batch of soil
made a nice size batch of fertilizer cakes
1 potting
some selective pruning on my rhode island red jm and planted the cuttings
started a handful of seedling cuttings from some jbp i started over the winter
did some watering using my new wand(i'll never go back to using a watering can)
fed my trees
and did some searching on the forum and the net,gathering some info

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Messed around with my extremely frustrating juniper nana... trying to propogate more for future frustration, and also trying to air layer a limb that may look good as a windswept on a rock I have.

Then I went prospecting, and decided I need to get a smaller classifier so I can classify out some future bonsai soil while looking for gold. Lol

Last edited:

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mourned over squirrel/chipmunk damage, one tree dead and alot of damaged bark..very pissed. Turning me into a savage, they won't like me when I'm angry. 2 trees I was about to show next weekend we're victims .

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Went collecting, found some young ficus to bind together and a couple to stick in colanders to see if they make it. I found a wierd bush that smells almost like good ganja (so Im told, lol) and has cool little leaves and grows fat trunks. But its quite brittle. Any idea wth it is? Do cuttings grow? If my cuttings strike roots I might torture them lest someone says no for a good reason... Anyway here is a leaf pic. Seems like the leaf shape and that it has a strong odor I think make it easy if anyone knows about them. I can post more if it helps.
Also trimmed up a tree or two, watered my inside trees, and tried air layering three f. ben. branches, for learning to do it and the branches have nice curves. Planted other cuttings too. Not a bad weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20160424_161659.jpg
    IMG_20160424_161659.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 20

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
IMG_0628.JPG IMG_0629.JPG file:///Users/David/Pictures/Photos%20Library.photoslibrary/Thumbnails/2016/04/24/20160424-234612/2Eu4GRJtQ6m4Q4Z7LRvErg/thumb_IMG_0628_1024.jpgIMG_0630.JPGIMG_0631.JPG

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected 6 more $80.00 Tamaracks.
Collected 4 more jack pines.
Broke a shovel trying to dig Hawthorns out of clay.
Repotted a bunch of American elm seedlings. Still have more to do.
Repotted Rupert's yatsabusa elm.
Tossed numerous tree carcasses onto the pile. It grows.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing too exciting:

A lot of watering!
Light weeding
Light pruning of my trident maple (the new leader is starting to grow, very stoked about that) and buttonwood
First wiring of a boxwood (not Kingsville, just the plain ole boxwood common in landscapes in Central FL) I collected that was originally a hedge (thread about this later)
More watering!

My new Acer saccharum var. floridanum (18" sapling) and Acer leucoderme (around 15") arrived. I potted each in roughly 3 gallon pots and I am debating on whether to try one or both as landscape trees, or grow them potted for 2-3 years and see if either develops into half way decent pre-bonsai stock. Also in the order was a native Wisteria (fructescens) that will be planted in the landscape. I considered grooming this as bonsai stock, but I generally don't prefer to train vines/lianas as bonsai (just personal preference).

Am still awaiting the arrival of a Pinus clausa sapling I ordered from eBay. I know that a long, tedious grow-out awaits this tree before I can even begin to consider training it as bonsai stock.

Top Bottom