What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
who’s got jwp on ebay?
I removed wire from a bunch of young trees today. One of my jwp was biting in already. These beech had scars from last spring, I got them in time this year. 🥰
Love that 1st one.
Yeh it's best to unspiral wire that deep where you can
Someone in Vermont imported the seedling and was the only one he had. No back history. I'm guessing 3 yrs old. Anyway sellers name is magnetbox58.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hard day. 9 hours at work and some time around 5 a strange woman, presumably homeless or mentally unwell, began rearranging our porch. My apartment neighbors assured me she was doing no damage to the plants, talked to her a bit, decided there wasn't much they could do. I managed to stay calm, finished my shift, got home, talked to the woman. She had taken almost all of my 30+ plants on the porch bench and moved them all around to her liking, as well as the furniture, and added some stuff from the dumpster in the alley.

I thanked her for being peaceful rather than destructive, told her that what she had done was disrespectful, and that she needs to leave, and went upstairs to drop off my things. When I came back down she was gone!

Obligatory pic from yesterday when I had all my tropicals specifically where I wanted them for hardening off 🤣IMG_20230519_220644_881.jpg

Edit: in better news I learned that an anniversary gift from my girlfriend, that has been delayed in shipping for a bit, is a pair of wazakura knob cutters!!! Not all bad things today!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice beneficial rain today so
I'm rebuilding my RO unit.
Sprung a small leak at the fitting
into the pressure chamber. When I tried to tighten it, the maybe 20 year old fitting twisted off at the threads...under pressure :eek:
So I had to replace the pressure chamber and all filters.
20230520_091641.jpg

20230520_132555.jpg

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice beneficial rain today so
I'm rebuilding my RO unit.
Sprung a small leak at the fitting
into the pressure chamber. When I tried to tighten it, the maybe 20 year old fitting twisted off at the threads...under pressure :eek:
So I had to replace the pressure chamber and all filters.
View attachment 489358

View attachment 489359
I need to do the same repair also! I’ve been putting it off since my reef tank crashed about a year and a half ago.

Attachments

• E6D668BD-7D59-4BCE-B499-E4FCEC639979.jpeg
    E6D668BD-7D59-4BCE-B499-E4FCEC639979.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 18

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Today I took a tour around the garden to see how the japanese maples - that are impossible to grow in Brazil - are doing.

An old leaf, it's Autumn here after all.
20230520_100114.jpg

A brand new leaf from a cutting, it's Autumn here after all.
20230520_100150.jpg

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Today I took a tour around the garden to see how the japanese maples - that are impossible to grow in Brazil - are doing.

An old leaf, it's Autumn here after all.
View attachment 489435

A brand new leaf from a cutting, it's Autumn here after all.
View attachment 489436
prove them wrong! looking super healthy!

PerryB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Did my first work on this yamadori Virginia pitch pine that I collected back in early April. It's got tons of new growth on it already. I cut off a few branches and started pulling one large branch away from another...I'm thinking the larger batch will be jinned because there's a big gap between branches on it. The long branch on the right will stay for a bit to thicken the trunk.

3 out of 5 of these pines have survived. This is the most promising. It's still in a near approximation of the forest soil where I found it. I hope to get it into a mostly pumice mix next week.

Attachments

• 20230520_122635.jpg
    20230520_122635.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 17

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
IMG_0807.JPG
Put a little twist in that secondary coming out of the first branch on the left. Goal is to get some back budding from the outer part of the bend and then turn that into the apex, making a triangle with the left all the way to the cascading portion. Just a little work in progress on playing with this small leaf tiger bark variety.
IMG_0808.JPG
Recycled wire so i did a jerry rig, got the job done though.
IMG_0812.JPG
On the old mother tree, chopped this crotch branch and turned it into a cutting.
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG
Got these rice buckets with pouring tips, 2 liters, on Temu, I'm gonna re sift some of this cocopeat/perlite mix but they work great. Less than $1 each, rice buckets 2L temu. I got 8 of these, gonna prepare some with premixed soil, and some with pure perlite, pumice, etc so I can repot on the fly, just pour into the pot and done!

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Nice buckets but...
2L of premixed soil will not take you long.
Come next Spring if you have more than 10 trees to repot, you will need a lot more soil.
yeah, i mix in a BIG aluminum saucer, then have sifters and colanders with two buckets that I can separate into, but if I have 10-15 2L buckets of pre mixed and sifted soil, it can be nice to have on hand for conveniece, like pouring soil for shohin, mame, small development trees, air layers.

the idea is to pre load these BEFORE potting season and have more than 10 of them on hand to pour some soil fast without preparation. These are handy for easy filling and pouring.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
yeah, i mix in a BIG aluminum saucer, then have sifters and colanders with two buckets that I can separate into, but if I have 10-15 2L buckets of pre mixed and sifted soil, it can be nice to have on hand for conveniece, like pouring soil for shohin, mame, small development trees, air layers.

the idea is to pre load these BEFORE potting season and have more than 10 of them on hand to pour some soil fast without preparation. These are handy for easy filling and pouring.
so my average training pot is 5.5 quarts, that is 3 2L buckets of pre prepped soil.

So I guess i want to have it as part of my routine to keep my pre sifted and mixed soil ready and loaded and i might get 20-30 of these lol. but they are easy to use for pouring and storing soil, I have them stacked in my shed

Top Bottom