What did you do today? Show us Pic Required

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey that's cool, I'm building a deck at my new place right now. Are you going to apply any waterproofing to this and if so, how are you planning on doing that?

PS: it's looking great!
The homeowners are going to give it a few weeks for the pressure treated to dry a little then stain and seal it.

One more day and she’s done. Just the step down left to go.
063EB73B-D672-410E-8AF5-52415E6C88C6.jpeg

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
View attachment 489951
Biggest bougie chunker yet, first sloppy growbox, glued it together and stapled mesh to the bottom, hopefully it's full of roots by october 🤢
Nice looking bougie cutting. I don't know if it'll be full of roots by October but you should have a good start. Florida is probably one of the best climates for them so you should be good! If possible, I'd recommend adding in some screws on all of the corners of the box. I think with the continual watering your glue will break down over time. It's a little bit of belt and suspenders but last thing you want is a side breaking off spilling all your soil.

Speaking of bougies, the one on the side of my house is getting out of control so I might have to take some cuttings of my own :)
IMG-5834.jpgIMG-5835.jpg

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
good pointers, I think i'll add some screws once it leaves the greenhouse in September-october and it has roots because I dont want to disturb it. So far my bougie cuttings have been rooting in less than 3 weeks and thriving in less than 6 so I'm optimistic right now.

i used some 2x2, stapled the mesh to the bottom, then placed the wider flooring boards (oak) on the inside and tapped it into place, so it's pretty mechanically snug+the glue, but last thing I want is to ruin a nice cutting.

IMO it's going to be my most interesting bougie piece so far because of the split trunk and exposed veins, I shoulda taken photos before I planted it.
I'm keeping it in the greenhouse shelf until at least September though and I'm gonna avoid tampering with it at all.

First timer stuff, that's why I post and ask! lol
Nice looking bougie cutting. I don't know if it'll be full of roots by October but you should have a good start. Florida is probably one of the best climates for them so you should be good! If possible, I'd recommend adding in some screws on all of the corners of the box. I think with the continual watering your glue will break down over time. It's a little bit of belt and suspenders but last thing you want is a side breaking off spilling all your soil.

Speaking of bougies, the one on the side of my house is getting out of control so I might have to take some cuttings of my own :)
View attachment 490042View attachment 490043
go to town on those bougie branches. Ive been getting great results from thick branch cuttings that are less than 5 inches long. You basically have a chunky bougie farm right there.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
3 new successfully rooted tiger barks, the little 3 in the front (i know, they are extremely easy to root) these were cut off mother tree less than 2 weeks ago.

Put them in these 6 inch training pots I got on amazon today, 20 pots for $18.99. ~80% perlite, 20% cocopeat. the 3 bigger bros in the back. I got 1 more in the greenhouse left to root then I'm doing more as I reduce the upper branches of my bigger tigerbark momma.

IMG_0908.JPG

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some of the historically interesting trees in this collection:

Ernie Kuo California juniper, on loan from the National Arboretum collection. Surprised to find inter collection loans, including from the Huntington

Ernie Kuo cal juniper.jpg

Harry Hirao San Jose juniper
Harry Hirao san jose juniper.jpg

Carving detail

carving detail.jpg

John Naka California juniper

john naka cal juniper.jpg

rapax24

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gave a spindle tree a haircut with some help from my assistant IMG20230527183349.jpg

and cleaned up a bit more muck from my rose's roots
IMG20230527191603.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230527175915.jpg
    IMG20230527175915.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom