What did you do today

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While walking in the field a week ago, I came across this elm that needed a home. Steve and I worked out the details and dug the tree out. It was a bush to say the least.

This is the tree in the field. It is full of branches and was pretty easy to dig out. It had a huge flat root pad that will be reduced very easily.

Attachments

• DSC_00070007.jpg
    DSC_00070007.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 163

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Went grocery shopping and had a good poop....

You guys are way too productive for my taste.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After leaving Steve's I had to make a side trip to my favorite Asian Market for a super big colander to plant this thing in. For most people this would require building a large box to grow it in since colanders like this are not easy to come by. I am very fortunate that I can just go pick one up like this at 26 inches across and 8 inches deep for $6.99. I wouldn't fire up my power saw for that price.

The tree is 25 inches tall with a six inch trunk at the soil line. The flare dives under the soil and will be exposed over time as roots grow to be about 12 to 13 inches across when exposed.

pruning back of the shoot entailed trying to keep a good assortment of branches growing in a more upright fashion. I will try like hell to get more of an upright branching tree with a more spreading oak style from the heavily tapered trunk. The good thing is that they build fat branches in no time. I have retained a few very large branches at the base to run for a couple years to help improves the base as it hints at some reverse taper due to a large knot of branches that grew one third up the trunk on the left side a few years ago.

The tree was planted from a pencil size cutting in 2007 and has grown to this monster in seven years.

Attachments

• DSC_00820082.jpg
    DSC_00820082.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_00840084.jpg
    DSC_00840084.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_00830083.jpg
    DSC_00830083.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

StarTurtle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I went out and collected this. An experiment to see what could be done with it.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Managed a car wash.Came home and had dinner.then practiced guitar.
I did manage to ponder about March and bonsai a bit.

Looks like a Jose Ramirez. Fine instrument.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thanks ,Vance.It is actually a Manuel Rodriguez, who actually used to build at some time in the Ramirez shop.It is built of all solid woods and sounds very good.

I own a Hernandis. Bought it in 1968 while the maker was still in Spain. I love the instrument but now they come out of Japan. It too is solid wood, no veneers. I assume you play classical?

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
3 gal - standard $10 plant

I actually did several on sunday but this one i liked the way it turned out - kinda different i thought. They took about 45 mins/1 hr or so each.

20141123_112010-1.jpg20150126_121400.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I own a Hernandis. Bought it in 1968 while the maker was still in Spain. I love the instrument but now they come out of Japan. It too is solid wood, no veneers. I assume you play classical?

Yep,I am back to classical studies.I did it from 2007-2012,learned the instrument through about 40 study songs.Then had a varied learning for the past three years without a definite direction,on and off.Even bought an electric guitar.
I have found the classical guitar to be where my heart is though and I am back at it now for about an hour or two a day to further my classical learning and technique.It is right up there with my trees.
I read you studied lute?

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What DID I do?

This is Tomorrow now, not the Today that started the thread, but Tonight I'm hunkered down waiting for the "killer" nor'easter Tomorrow.

Saturday, (two Yesterdays ago) as is my habit, I stopped at one of our local cemeteries. A gray wintery day with snow on the ground, this cemetery had a huge pile of discarded Christmas decorations. Mostly wreaths or sprays, but I did find a perfectly healthy potted tree. (Alberta Spruce to my eye, but I haven't matched it yet)

It is sad that all this lovingly placed holiday greenery is just tossed away after a set time, and I like to save what I can. I figure the families won't mind.

So yesterday (Today, in the "What did you do today" posting) I brought it inside and cut out what "didn't look like a bonsai." Fairly decent taper, but the whorled branching really pokes a finger in my eye.

Its not a bad tree, I think. I see taking the top 1/3 off and creating a dead leader. Then wiring the branches in place. Figured I did enough for one day though, and took the poor thing to my garage to weather the storm.

CW

Attachments

• saved.jpg
    saved.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 63
  • saved2.jpg
    saved2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 78

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yep,I am back to classical studies.I did it from 2007-2012,learned the instrument through about 40 study songs.Then had a varied learning for the past three years without a definite direction,on and off.Even bought an electric guitar.
I have found the classical guitar to be where my heart is though and I am back at it now for about an hour or two a day to further my classical learning and technique.It is right up there with my trees.
I read you studied lute?

That is correct though I cannot now play it much because I cannot feel my hands well enough. But maybe I will take it up again it has only been a couple of years since I put it down.

I used to make them also.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I can't unsee Vance in a diaper and cupid wings playing his lute.....

You know something, the Lute community on the INTERNET is almost as volitile as the Bonsai sites. People don't change.

Here, I get funny illusions too me wearing a diaper and playing the Lute, on the Lute site there was one individual that took exception to the fact that I grew bonsai. He would bring it up from time to time as an insult when he was sober enough to think of it.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You know something, the Lute community on the INTERNET is almost as volitile as the Bonsai sites. People don't change.

I belong to an ancient coin page, an arrowhead page, a vaseline glass page, an antique bottle page or two, and a saltwater reef page. I also used to belong to "Argue with everyone" till it went down due to hacking. It was a political page....need I say more.

They argue on all of them. They are all hobbies so I find them entertaining.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I belong to an ancient coin page, an arrowhead page, a vaseline glass page, an antique bottle page or two, and a saltwater reef page. I also used to belong to "Argue with everyone" till it went down due to hacking. It was a political page....need I say more.

They argue on all of them. They are all hobbies so I find them entertaining.

Al, the greatest of them all is the "Napoleon syndrome" forum. :D

sam

Chumono
Reaction score
what did I do today?

sat outside and put wire on this root over rock procumbens nana. three views. out in the yard. in the garage, no light. in the garage, uplight.

best wishes, sam

DSC01182.jpgDSC01194.jpgDSC01199.jpg

Top Bottom