What did you plant in the ground this season…?

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Curious to know what you stuck in the dirt? I have a trident, pine, elm, and some maple seedlings I stuck in the wife’s flowerbed :) - just bought the elm on a whim and put in in today…a wee bit late for my area (socal) but I think it will be fine. 5FC09D3B-AFEC-48EF-BC68-12BED605775A.jpeg7AAE946F-A9EF-47A0-8755-C4E9F40DE1DA.jpeg660C413B-514B-4EEF-840A-0AB66BF9DC89.jpeg894DD621-E8F8-40C8-9C1A-FFC43B0C9479.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Curious to know what you stuck in the dirt? I have a trident, pine, elm, and some maple seedlings I stuck in the wife’s flowerbed :) - just bought the elm on a whim and put in in today…a wee bit late for my area (socal) but I think it will be fine. View attachment 428354View attachment 428355View attachment 428356View attachment 428357
Looking good!

Dynamite flannel bottoms, as well... spiffy pattern.

Seeing all the cages makes me angry.... angry about the REASONS they are there... and similar heartache suffered.

I don't have room in my beds for anything but annuals and veggies..

But that's cause I live here...0D9871E2-A597-4F43-82D4-8F1BDFA44677.png
And my plants are here... (Yellow)

They have recently demolished dilapidated building (marked in blue) next to my "area".3382B4F1-9700-4E69-8E13-51685982BA4A.jpeg

I'm hoping to ground grow some tropicals on my parental unit's Florida property.. but am wary of asking.

🤓

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
Looking good!

Dynamite flannel bottoms, as well... spiffy pattern.

Seeing all the cages makes me angry.... angry about the REASONS they are there... and similar heartache suffered.

I don't have room in my beds for anything but annuals and veggies..

But that's cause I live here...View attachment 428358
And my plants are here... (Yellow)

They have recently demolished dilapidated building (marked in blue) next to my "area".View attachment 428359

I'm hoping to ground grow some tropicals on my parental unit's Florida property.. but am wary of asking.

🤓
Yeah the cages kinda suck but I’m used to them now. Keeps cats from the neighbors yard from thinking it’s a litterbox :). I’m pretty happy with my setup, the bed is facing east and gets morning and midday sun. I planted the maples close to the wall so they get mid day shade.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
This year planted in the bonsai grow area: several hundred trident maples, around 50 Japanese maples, 15 new black pines + 20 older black pines, 2 white pines, 15 new shimpaku junipers + around 20 older shimpaku. 40 various plums, another 10 Buxus harlandii join the previous 5' another 5 chojubai along with 3 that have been in for a few years now, another 5 ginkgos, another 10 Chinese elms with the 10 or so from previous years. Probably a few more I've forgotten about as my planting season was 8 months ago. Starting to look forward to digging in July and Sept.

Hmm.. I've been offered a parcel in the community garden, though.
Check their winter policy before planting long term crops. We visited a community garden near Denver and the gardeners told me the council bulldozes the entire site at the end of each season to keep it fresh and tidy!!!!! Everyone starts from scratch in spring. Definitely not what you want when growing trees for bonsai.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This year planted in the bonsai grow area: several hundred trident maples, around 50 Japanese maples, 15 new black pines + 20 older black pines, 2 white pines, 15 new shimpaku junipers + around 20 older shimpaku. 40 various plums, another 10 Buxus harlandii join the previous 5' another 5 chojubai along with 3 that have been in for a few years now, another 5 ginkgos, another 10 Chinese elms with the 10 or so from previous years. Probably a few more I've forgotten about as my planting season was 8 months ago. Starting to look forward to digging in July and Sept.

Check their winter policy before planting long term crops. We visited a community garden near Denver and the gardeners told me the council bulldozes the entire site at the end of each season to keep it fresh and tidy!!!!! Everyone starts from scratch in spring. Definitely not what you want when growing trees for bonsai.
I hadn't even considered this, THANK you!!!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I hadn't even considered this, THANK you!!!
Not sure if that's a wide spread practice or peculiar to that city area. Down here we have 12 month growing so my local community gardeners are busy planting winter crops now which will grow slowly and provide fresh pick through winter and into early spring.
The Denver gardeners I talked to were not happy with the policy because all the effort to improve soil in their plots ended up in a pile at the bottom of the slope every year and they all started from scratch again in spring.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Siberian elm from seed
20220405-142722-HDR.jpg

Ficus tiger bark, a cutting from my first bonsai
20220405-142704-HDR.jpg

Malus cutting and Prunus cerasifera
20220405-142923-HDR.jpg

Cherry
20220405-142814-HDR.jpg

Cupressus sempervirens "horizontalis" the wild Italian cypress not the "pencil form" thats planted
20220405-142650-HDR.jpg

Morus nigra whip
20220405-142713-HDR.jpg

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Siberian elm from seed
20220405-142722-HDR.jpg

Ficus tiger bark, a cutting from my first bonsai
View attachment 428665

Malus cutting and Prunus cerasifera
View attachment 428667

Cherry
20220405-142814-HDR.jpg

Cupressus sempervirens "horizontalis" the wild Italian cypress not the "pencil form" thats planted
View attachment 428666

Morus nigra whip
20220405-142713-HDR.jpg
HAHAHA!!! Siberian Elm AND ficus!!!.. IN THE GROUND!?!?

...that's just crazy!

I've gotta get to the Canary Islands. sounds like you have an AWESOME climate.. I'm 14 percent "Spanish".. so it's (Spain/Portugal) one of my "Blood Home"s.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you think your "colder" Malus and Prunus grow slower?.. I'm honestly just fascinated by your climate's parameters.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
HAHAHA!!! Siberian Elm AND ficus!!!.. IN THE GROUND!?!?

...that's just crazy!

I've gotta get to the Canary Islands. sounds like you have an AWESOME climate.. I'm 14 percent "Spanish".. so it's (Spain/Portugal) one of my "Blood Home"s.
Yes our climate is pretty wild, you can go to see the snow in the Teide in the morning and then go for a swim in the beach in Las Americas in the afternoon haha, a lot of microclimates depending on the height or orientation, I live in the north of the island 1476 ft above the sea so mild winters but some cold, Here you can grow almost any tropical or temperate climate species.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes our climate is pretty wild, you can go to see the snow in the Teide in the morning and then go for a swim in the beach in Las Americas in the afternoon haha, a lot of microclimates depending on the height or orientation, I live in the north of the island 1476 ft above the sea so mild winters but some cold, Here you can grow almost any tropical or temperate climate species.
That sounds.... beautiful.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Goldspire ginkgo
A columnar tree reaching about 15 feet tall.
Mugo elf, several scots pines.
I have trees coming that I don’t remember what they are- the city gives them away. I got 5 of them. Lol
A web image here of what I hope mine will look like one day. I’m sure that I will try to get and air layer off it.

29B6F148-6CA3-4149-AD2B-ABEC0F41B613.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Goldspire ginkgo
A columnar tree reaching about 15 feet tall.
Mugo elf, several scots pines.
I have trees coming that I don’t remember what they are- the city gives them away. I got 5 of them. Lol
A web image here of what I hope mine will look like one day. I’m sure that I will try to get and air layer off it.

View attachment 428719
That is VERY vibrant!

Seems like the camera almost broke trying to capture all that yellow!

🤓

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That is VERY vibrant!

Seems like the camera almost broke trying to capture all that yellow!

🤓
Of course it’s green during spring and summer months but I have dreamed of planting this tree ever since I bought my home.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Still waiting. Cant get my spade far enough into the earth yet. ground is just starting to thaw. 🤣

I look forward to planting an Austrian black pine, Mugo pine, and a viburnum.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In addition to the full raised bed behind it (I planted 2 new Chinese Elm in that, and have moved some Zelkova around) I dug out this furrow/trench and built up a mound that I planted all of this in: a mix of mostly Chinese Elms, Zelkova, Tridents, JM.

1649197638353.png

Top Bottom