What do I have?

Udycoi

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to Bonsai and this site so if this isn't the right place to post this I apologise.
I found a little Bonsai in my Grandmas house after she died and I was wondering if anyone can help me out so I can care for this little guy. Any info will be helpful and tips and tricks to make it big and beautiful. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180901_111802.jpg
    20180901_111802.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 67

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I want to be the first to say "Welcome!". Appears to be a juniper and I would assume that it needs to be outside. That's the limit of my knowledge on this but I am sure others will chime in. Again, welcome!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Almost definitely juniperus chinensis something or other .. maybe parsonii

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice!

Grandma's Rule!

Welcome to Crazy!

S

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Almost definitely juniperus chinensis something or other .. maybe parsonii

I agree. Make sure that you keep it outdoors where it can get plenty of sun. This juniper will eventually die if you keep it indoors due to lack of light. A quick google search on "juniperus chinensis bonsai care" will give you lots more info. If you still have more questions after that, people here will be happy to help.

Udycoi

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and tips. From what I looked up it looks like it may be in distress or something because of the sharper foliage. What can I do to help it? It was sitting inside on a window sill for about a week and I watered it once, I hope this didn't stress it out.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you everyone for the welcomes and tips. From what I looked up it looks like it may be in distress or something because of the sharper foliage. What can I do to help it? It was sitting inside on a window sill for about a week and I watered it once, I hope this didn't stress it out.

To help the juniper, move it outdoors.
The glass of a windowsill cuts out 40% to 60% of the light striking the pane. If it is a gas filled double or triple pane sealed window it may actually cut out 80% of the light. This does not leave enough light to keep a juniper happy, even though to our eyes it looks bright.

Do you have a back yard? Or a balcony? a place where the juniper could be placed with no glass between it and the sky? That would be where the juniper would like to be.

Tell us what general location you like in, that would help in offering advice. Whether you are in Athens, Greece, or London, or Miami, or NYC will make a difference on how you treat this juniper.

Top Bottom