What do I need to add soft wheels to hydrolic

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey All

I’d like to buy this hydraulic cart and pay someone to weld softer rubber wheels onto it. I’m curious if anyone recommends any wheels/tires in particular that you can buy online? And what else will I need to supply a welder with in order to have a functional cart?
C8CCFD12-2C68-448B-8937-2F42C807C9F6.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not just unscrew the wheels and screw new ones on there? Or am I missing something crucial here that requires welding stuff?

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if it would be easier to buy a scissor lift that wasn't on a cart and just mount it to a heavy duty garden wagon or something.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Much depends on surface where needed to roll🤨? May need high pressure pneumatic tires much bigger diameter if off hard surface. If very handy could likely do oneself😉.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The wheels right now aren't welded on, they seem bolted. What you'd need is tools to unbolt them, and you'd need some rubber wheels to bolt on.
Welds are only as strong as the quality of the welder and the material; the types of metal need to be the same and the base plate for the wheels has to be thick enough to withstand the force of movement. This makes it difficult to advise you from far away - and I'm no metal alchemist so I really can't tell from looking at it.
With bolts, they're easier to replace if something breaks. You don't want to haul this thing on three or two wheels to your car, to get it to the welder, have him grind the old ones off, to install new wheels. Those bolts would work just fine.

To do a proper weld, paint has to be removed entirely, and you'll have to repaint it yourself (or have it done) as well. Something to consider, because these things are usually magnetically painted (or whatever it's called) with heavy duty paint. To keep the quality, you'll have to think about a 300 USD paint job on top of the welding process.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
these things are usually magnetically painted (or whatever it's called) with heavy duty paint
I think you might be talking about powder coating(?) though that is typically a dry powder applied electrostatically and then baked.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
A vender had a kit to convert a scissor lift to a bigger tire.
Not sure who it was

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Superbly bonsai makes the kit I was thinking of

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Harbor Freight has pneumatic tires mounted on fixed & swivel casters that would do the trick, bolted in place. Bolting is moveable, welding is forever. The biggest draw-back is the increased height needs to be compensated for by mounting with a wider wheelbase, outboard of the frame, and to angle plates welded to the outside of the frame. The increase in width would restrict your ability to get close in some cases. These kinds of wheels go over rough surfaces and grass easily.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here you go these are quite pricey but may give you ideas.
B724978E-CEB9-4667-A9A1-D6F90457652E.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would verify which style of fixed rear wheel position you will receive, as they show 2 different for the same unit.

This picture shows a flat section which would be easy to weld or even just bolt to.
Capture+_2021-10-23-08-04-21.png

The other would require cutting them off, or fabricating a larger bracket.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Actually, you can probably drill out the fixed axle holes to accept a larger full through axle and run your wheelbase outside the cart.

Sorce

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would verify which style of fixed rear wheel position you will receive, as they show 2 different for the same unit.

This picture shows a flat section which would be easy to weld or even just bolt to.
View attachment 404263

The other would require cutting them off, or fabricating a larger bracket.

Sorce
Bolts go through the wheel, and the wheels can be changed so it seems.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Capture+_2021-10-23-09-59-57.png

Starting to think the fixed side is going to be easier than the swivel side.

I don't think you'll find a directly boltable swivel wheel large enough to level with the rear and have clearance to swivel.

You almost might consider paving a smooth path over fixing the wheels.

Sorce

Top Bottom