What do you get when you mix a tree, a cool rock, and some twine...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I like it!
Trident???

I think it will be very cool in time.

ROR is one thing I want to try soon.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Would it look better sitting in the saddle pocket, lower on the left?
I though about setting the trunk there, but decided that this tall, funky stone should have roots crawling along most of it... so the tree sits higher up.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd use the saddle pocket for moss growth....running underneath the rock bridges that make the pocket holes.

My first inclination was to use the rock flat out like shown in the first photo. Roots would hang down similar to the rock connectors. I visualized it as a rock where time, rain, wind...elements of nature...wore the ground away creating that hollow area below the roots. In the process the roots became exposed....and moss like growth would invade the cavity area below making the roots stand out nicely.

Attachments

• 2AB1EB56-D6C2-46B0-86BA-DF71EB5B0036.jpeg
    2AB1EB56-D6C2-46B0-86BA-DF71EB5B0036.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd use the saddle pocket for moss growth....running underneath the rock bridges that make the pocket holes.

My first inclination was to use the rock flat out like shown in the first photo. Roots would hang down similar to the rock connectors. I visualized it as a rock where time, rain, wind...elements of nature...wore the ground away creating that hollow area below the roots. In the process the roots became exposed....and moss like growth would invade the cavity area below making the roots stand out nicely.
I actually started a trident on this stone 4 years ago with the stone laying flat.... killed the trident last spring hard pruning the trunk and rethought the stone's position. The pictures really don't do it justice as it's so 3 dimensional and laying it flat makes it less so. Any way, it's staying upright for now... or at least until I kill the tree:oops:.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I actually started a trident on this stone 4 years ago with the stone laying flat.... killed the trident last spring hard pruning the trunk and rethought the stone's position. The pictures really don't do it justice as it's so 3 dimensional and laying it flat makes it less so. Any way, it's staying upright for now... or at least until I kill the tree:oops:.
The tree...and you....will do just fine. The upright is much more majestic. I think my flat version sort of, maybe, just sits there like cooled lava lost in a field with a tree stuck to it. Not to exciting.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They said it would be 56 F with some mist and light rain today... Hah!... 43 F and steady, cold, hard rain at 3 pm. I can't move my fingers but I'm done for the day. I chopped it a few weeks ago, and worked the roots today... LOTS of roots. This one clearly grew well... unfortunately, it thickened so much at the root base that the little rock ledge that I sat the trunk on has already been swallowed up by the roots. I probably should have anticipated this... but I didn't... oh, well. The roots are clasping the rock nicely in places, and with a little help from me, more of the roots will be doing the same shortly. I removed some of the extra roots, but deliberately left more then the final tree will need... they will be removed over the next few re-pots. Once re-potted, I used small stones and chop sticks to push certain roots into crevices or to hold larger roots in places. Looking forward to some buds popping to work on the next trunk section.
IMG_2014.jpgIMG_2015.jpgIMG_2016.jpgIMG_2017.jpgIMG_2018.jpgIMG_2019.jpgIMG_2020.jpgIMG_2021.jpgIMG_2022.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, over the weekend, I rednecked the heck out of this one! My two approach graphs have taken and have started to push new growth. I cleaned up the top and performed another approach graft, which will hopefully become the new apex. More twine, brick, wood and stone are being used to wedge Everything in the pot and keep the roots pushed up against the stone for another few months.
3C7751BC-EC88-4F74-9BFC-62E08974FE62.jpegEF07A0C4-2504-42DE-B632-DE1B5CC22EF4.jpeg2FB54C69-9960-4D78-BBCB-F96D0E21FE2F.jpegB4238A92-F54D-48B5-A366-42E93D7C424E.jpeg78278210-5F29-4947-876D-9AFCB9BA84B8.jpeg6673144B-4D88-4F99-A4CB-847D357CD5E0.jpeg197D7BE9-8143-4C5D-A436-2FF701A343B0.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, over the weekend, I rednecked the heck out of this one! My two approach graphs have taken and have started to push new growth. I cleaned up the top and performed another approach graft, which will hopefully become the new apex. More twine, brick, wood and stone are being used to wedge Everything in the pot and keep the roots pushed up against the stone for another few months.
View attachment 284175View attachment 284176View attachment 284177View attachment 284178View attachment 284179View attachment 284180View attachment 284181
Dave, this is looking great!

but, I gotta warn ya, when you start doing “real bonsai” here, the haters will come after ya!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dave, this is looking great!

but, I gotta warn ya, when you start doing “real bonsai” here, the haters will come after ya!
You and me have nothing to hide here at the nuthouse, buddy! The haters are gonna hate, and I say let them… If they stick around long enough, they might actually learn something :).

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Dav4 I used friction tape and I'd recommend it for binding the roots if you want to try next time. The tape was easy for me to remove. Much of it actually broke down. I like that it leaves no scarring.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 I used friction tape and I'd recommend it for binding the roots if you want to try next time. The tape was easy for me to remove. Much of it actually broke down. I like that it leaves no scarring.
Thanks for the tip, and I may try it in the future. With this one, I have embraced the scarring that is apparent from previous years work. I suspect the scars will disappear in time, but I also think they add a little bit of character to the gnarly appearance of the tree.
88F76710-E405-4694-8A94-7409C6A4882A.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done. I see the scars as a natural component of the tree's struggle in the weather against the rock and other elements. And in awhile the scars will melt together in tree history. The tree looks very clingy....nice rock hugging work.

Top Bottom