What do you guys have in the 'pipeline' for propagation or collection right now (air layers, cuttings, yamadori?)

ralfish

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a good collection of flail mowed d. firs, and P.contorta collected over the last few years. I think they could be brought into a mame or small shohin sized tree relatively quickly. I have a flat of small Japanese maple seedlings. Also a flat of various rooted conifer cuttings along with about 6 quince cuttings now rooted and first structural wiring done. Theres a bunch of other random stuff too (like cotoneaster transplants etc)

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
keep in mind junipers can take a long time (Think, several months rather than several weeks) to start rooting. So do not give up too soon on these.
I gave up on a bunch of cuttings last year and tossed them out because I didnt know this 🤣 , and the one that I forgot about in a shady corner of my yard survived. It took from May to October to start pushing some juvenile growth (parsoni)

I have a few cuttings that I started in october and now have some new spikes showing. I heard from a few sources that juniper cuttings do better in tropical climate if planted in Autumn because the summer is too brutal on the foliage here, even in the shade. We have no winter anyway. But too much misting and the soil moisture will rot the cutting.

One alternative I'm going to try is planting the cutting in plastic wrapped soil so I can mist it on a timer and not be concerned about rot. Someone suggested this for my hard to root bucida spinosas (typically propagated via LONG TERM air layers, sometimes years, or by seed....) I hated wasting the branches that I pruned off this year.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
 ACTIVE:
Gooseberry cuttings
Zelkova cuttings
Chinese rain tree seeds (dont know if they are viable still)
Ficus cuttings
Cherry seedlings
Beautyberry cuttings which were given to me last year - want to separate them into their own pots.

PLANNED:
Shinpaku cuttings
Chinese elm cuttings
Get grow beds set up for some shore pine seedlings and pitch pine seedlings and other cuttings which root this year.
Would like to dig some more stuff from my house in PA in the fall if I can get up there with the kids and such.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took a root cutting from my seiju room, couple cuttings from my brother's ito, tiger ficus cutting in the background.... I had almost given up on the seiju, slow starter. Lots of roots on the junipers, moved into these pots a couple weeks back.

B

Attachments

• IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3234.jpeg
    IMG_3234.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 18

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
IMG_0911.JPG
nice roots on both barbados cherry air layers from 2 and 1/2 weeks ago only. Gonna be doing more as I bring this tree's canopy down to a more bonsai-able size
IMG_0910.JPG

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pruned my Linden and decided to try em as cuttings:

You can see my current zelkova cuttings the cutting pot. As well as the gooseberries (which have already rooted with pretty much 100% success) uncovered which underwent the same treatment.

Basically. I plant the cuttings in 100% compost in a deep nursery pot and cover with an opaque container to hold in moisture. I water now and then. They are in. Shadier spot on the bench.

20230527_135911.jpg 20230527_140018.jpg
20230527_140034.jpg

Esolin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've forbidden myself from buying any new trees until after I move (wherever/whenever that will be), so of course I planted a bunch of seeds and started some airlayers. 😩

Ten Coast Live Oak seedlings
Two Cork Oak seedlings.
Five pomegranate seedlings
Fifteen Chihuahua Yellow Pine seedlings.
One Chinese Elm air layer
Two Nana juniper air layers (which don't look healthy...)
One 'Mystery Elm' air layer

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The air layers on my nursery Arakawa Japanese maple started rooting. They will be separated in the next month and be ready to ship in the fall. PM me if interested, and I will save your info.

All of the layers will have 1.5 inch trunks, or smaller this season. Next season, I will be layering the thicker trunk sections.

20230530_114557.jpgScreenshot_20230530_153318_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230530_153325_Gallery.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Repotted and trimmed my itoigawa last weekend. Figured I'd take advantage of the trimming and do some cuttings.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Except for collecting Robin to be with Batman, I have nothing in plan as far as collection goes.
Propagation for bonsai I have none. I do have a few hundred BC seedlings to be potted and get ready for transplant back into the "wild" next year.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had to repot an Elsie Lee azalea because my husband didn't want it planted in the landscaping, so I struck a few cuttings.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The air layers on my nursery Arakawa Japanese maple started rooting. They will be separated in the next month and be ready to ship in the fall. PM me if interested, and I will save your info.

All of the layers will have 1.5 inch trunks, or smaller this season. Next season, I will be layering the thicker trunk sections.

View attachment 491334View attachment 491335View attachment 491336

I had an unexpected demand for these layers, so I am not taking any more pre-orders. Thank you so much for all the interest!!!

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Except for collecting Robin to be with Batman, I have nothing in plan as far as collection goes.
Propagation for bonsai I have none. I do have a few hundred BC seedlings to be potted and get ready for transplant back into the "wild" next year.
Bahahaha....
My non-bonsai friend who owns the land with the "Robin" BC goes all in with the Batman bald cypress line. He asked me: "You say you will stop after collecting Robin. What about Batgirl? Aren't you going to collect her? What if you find a crazy Joker?"

Top Bottom