What do you guys think of this Deshojo? Directions for a newbie

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hello guys..!

I`m considering buying this Deshojo Maple and wanted to know if its a good deal and if the tree has any future on being a nice tree..

I like the slenderness of the trunk and the slight curve it has.. I was thinking in an elegant tree but it has no taper.. Could I build taper letting the lowest branch on the right grow unhindered for a while?

Is the tree worth the asking price? Most of the material we can get here in Brazil is light years behing what you guys can get in the US, EU, Japan.. And they`re usually overpriced. The current price on this tree is about 100 USD

https://www.niponbonsai.com.br/bonsai/Pre-Bonsai-Acer-Deshojo-33cm-15-anos

Here`s the link to the ad..

Thanks in advance

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it.

I would look for local material to use. I'm sure you have plenty of options. You can also buy 2-4 different trees instead of just the one.

Look at some local nurseries and always look at the trunk first, thickness and movement.

I think you will be more satisfied hunting for material, I know I do. I buy online too but I enjoy "hunting" for them more.

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
I was reading about the Deshojo cultivar and read that it has a short life span..? About 25 years and most of them die? Well I think I want a more lasting tree...

But I also want the characteristic acer color show.. I have a Kotohime project but that cultivar doesnt have a good consistent autumn color.. what is the best cultivar for what I want? (Long lived/enduring + good/consistent colors)

Here's a list of the cultivars I could find in Brazil:
- kotohime a. palmatum
- seigen a. palmatum
- deshojo a. palmatum
- regular a. palmatum
- dissectum a. palmatum
- atropurpureum a. palmatum
- regular trident maple
- miyasama trident maple

Please help! Hahaha
I can't stand looking at MACH5' maples and not have one or two :)

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
@makarovnik
Wht is the reason for you not buying it? The issue is that I already have scoured through the local nurseries.. lol.. and the vast majority of them are green straight sticks in a pot. Some are taller, some.are shorter.. but 99% of them are taperless and straight as a pole

@sorce
Thanks for the input! I believe all the cultivars I listed above are not grafted. The ones i've seen in person at least.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was reading about the Deshojo cultivar and read that it has a short life span..? About 25 years and most of them die? Well I think I want a more lasting tree...

But I also want the characteristic acer color show.. I have a Kotohime project but that cultivar doesnt have a good consistent autumn color.. what is the best cultivar for what I want? (Long lived/enduring + good/consistent colors)

Here's a list of the cultivars I could find in Brazil:
- kotohime a. palmatum
- seigen a. palmatum
- deshojo a. palmatum
- regular a. palmatum
- dissectum a. palmatum
- atropurpureum a. palmatum
- regular trident maple
- miyasama trident maple

Please help! Hahaha
I can't stand looking at MACH5' maples and not have one or two :)

Shun, you are lucky most of what you can find there we cannot find here in the US. At least not with ease. Out of those that you can find, these would be my choices.

Kotohime: Excellent with super small leaves and very vigorous!! Autumn color not reliable.

Seigen: Rare in the US. Spectacular spring color. Autumn color not reliable.

Deshojo: Very good and very close in brilliance to seigen regarding spring color. Looses the gem-like spring color to a somewhat unattractive red/green coloration in summer. Be mindful that red varieties such as this one are not as vigorous.

Trident: Tried and true. Very hardy and very vigorous and stands up well to heat and direct sun. Good autumn color. I recommend this maple specially to beginners.

Regular palmatum: The best palmatum for bonsai due to their vigor. Good to spectacular autumn colors. Highly recommended to beginners.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
@makarovnik
Wht is the reason for you not buying it? The issue is that I already have scoured through the local nurseries.. lol.. and the vast majority of them are green straight sticks in a pot. Some are taller, some.are shorter.. but 99% of them are taperless and straight as a pole

Taper can always be made easily. And you can also create movement by wiring.

The tree is nice, I like it. I was saying don't buy and look locally first. If that is the specific type tree you were looking for then buy it.

I say %80 of the time I go to a nursery I don't go home with anything.

DavidBrasil

Sapling
Reaction score
[QUOTE = "sorce, post: 463120, member: 12599"] Não parece enxertado.

Eu acho que [USER = 16837] @barrosinc [/ USER] tem dificuldade em encontrar ervas no Chile.

Talvez pergunte [USER = 18913] @DavidBrasil [/ USER] s opinião também.

Eu gosto disso.

Sorce [/ QUOTE]

Hey every one!

I have no expirience at all with acer, because here in my region, Is to hot, and dont let the plant get to the red color we expect. South Brazil is much better for that, and there is were this shop stays.
This online store is very trustworthy. But I dont know how about sending it to US.
I am here, if I can help with something, I can make the contact or something else, let me know!
Peace!

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just a quick update.. i went to the nursery and didnt buy an acer.. the owner told me to wait a couple of weeks to go back again and he will have a new stock of maples! I'm getting to know him and he told me that since im looking for a more mature stock i should wait for this new stock and he will send me whatsapp pictures of them to me !!! :)

But I came home with a Sakura cherry blossom nevertheless hahahaha I will post pictures ASAP

Top Bottom