What do you guys use to clean your copper watering cans?

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have acquired an old copper watering can that is in need of cleaning. It has a design similar to Haws, but it doesn't bare the Haws seal. I mean obviously I could go out, and purchase some Tarn-X, or some other commercial cleaner. I was however hoping to stay away from harsh chemicals, and not leave harmful residues in the can.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't have one. But, why does it need cleaning ? I mean if the rosette isn't clogged up, and it waters well, if the can is tarnished, what does it matter?

Reaction score
I don't have one either, but would be careful with what you
Choose to use chemical wise as not to have an adverse effect
On your plants.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Intreegued, anything you use, either commercial or homebrew has the potential to be "harmful." No matter which you use if rinsed well is completely safe.

Reaction score
So my gf family is chilean and copper is chile's thing. Ketchup. It sounds crazy but it's what my gf's mom uses to clean all of their copper things. I know toothpaste also works quite well.

I was going to suggest baking soda, for I have heard it works, but never
Tried it myself, and always reluctant to tell somebody to use something
I haven't tried.

If it was me, I would try the ketchup as you suggested, sounds fun.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have one. But, why does it need cleaning ? I mean if the rosette isn't clogged up, and it waters well, if the can is tarnished, what does it matter?

Yeah the rosette is clogged a little. But that's like saying to someone, "why wash your car? If it still runs, and gets you where you need to go then why bother?"

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second ketchup. Try it on an old dull penny. Submerge it in ketchup for 20 min. Nice and shiny again.

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vinegar and Salt - which is basically ketchup without the tomato and spices. Salt crystals will give some scrubbing action.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Soak the rosette in pure vinegar and it will dissolve the water deposits.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
LoL...I have one, and have never thought of cleaning it. Patina just gives the implement a sense of age to go along with the trees.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah the rosette is clogged a little. But that's like saying to someone, "why wash your car? If it still runs, and gets you where you need to go then why bother?"

I have a 1999 Ford Pickup, under 16,000 original miles, NEVER been washed, ran a vacuum cleaner inside maybe 3 times. Of all places the only rust is above one fog lamp mounted in the bumper. It actually still looks good :eek:

Grimmy

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK Grimmy...I wanna see pics of the truck.

Brian

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK Grimmy...I wanna see pics of the truck.

Brian

Front and side... The front plate is the original dealer plate, the inspection sticker(red) says exempt meaning I don't need Emission testing at inspection because of low use I took the pics today and the odometer is at 15994. Never been washed, never been covered, never been in a garage or stored. There is actually moss growing on some of the rubber components :p

Grimmy

Attachments

• 1999 159994 Front.jpg
    1999 159994 Front.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 1999 159994 Side.jpg
    1999 159994 Side.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 29

Paulkellum

Mame
Reaction score
Best way to clean any copper is cut a lemon in half dip cut side in sale and use as a scrub brush it will clean off anything and won't hurt copper. All my pans in kitchen are copper so have to it every now and then.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Almost the same color as my 1999 Tacoma 4X4 I just bought.....I got an unwashed copper watering can I'll trade you for the truck.

Brian

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice truck, Grim. But seeing as you live in PA, where you actually get rain, you can get away with not washing your truck. Here in dry 'n dusty southern CA, that's a whole different story. Btw I used salt and vinegar, and it works like a charm. :D

GrimLore

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Almost the same color as my 1999 Tacoma 4X4 I just bought.....I got an unwashed copper watering can I'll trade you for the truck.

Brian

Ha! Actually I just spent a little over a thousand on the truck. Upper and lower ball joints, Vacuum hoses for the 4WD(the boots for the joints and the hoses rotted) and brakes and rotors up front.

Nice truck, Grim. But seeing as you live in PA, where you actually get rain, you can get away with not washing your truck. Here in dry 'n dusty southern CA, that's a whole different story. Btw I used salt and vinegar, and it works like a charm. :D

I agree with you - this one was purchased originally to be a little runabout on the farm by Grandfather. He passed away and Grandmother told me to take it so it at least gets started. The rain does good enough and after all it is just a truck.

Grimmy

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
being 15 years old even with the extreme low mileage I would have your timing belt looked at. At this point your fighting age vs miles and rubber isnt know for aging well, and if that thing snaps, you have an interference engine and it would cause catastophic engine failure. Just worth having it checked. Tech tip of the week. . .

Top Bottom