What do you think of this pine

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No idea of its value ,but guessing $100-$300?
If you buy it, that thick horizontal branch on the left might need to go.
Other than that, its an interesting tree but it is too bush-like right now. Prune it into a bonsai.
CW

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Other than that, its an interesting tree but it is too bush-like right now. Prune it into a bonsai.
CW
Yikes... may have to add a zero to those estimates. I think I've seen this tree before and it's at least 24-30" tall...descent graft, descent branching, healthy... at least a grand.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
CW
The tree is 1k.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice looking tree! The bark on the white pine will take longer to develop mature bark. Let us know if you pull the trigger on it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What are the problems?
The main one is the first branch is too heavy. It can be shortened. The other problem is lack of taper from the first branch upwards. There's little you can do about that. However, when the JWP bark becomes flakey, the lack of taper becomes less apparent.

Based upon what I've seen other JWP go for, the price is good.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The main one is the first branch is too heavy. It can be shortened. The other problem is lack of taper from the first branch upwards. There's little you can do about that. However, when the JWP bark becomes flakey, the lack of taper becomes less apparent.

Based upon what I've seen other JWP go for, the price is good.
Ahh I thought he meant problems as in health and stuff not structural problems. Sure it has many problems but many trees have "problems" that's what makes them unique. If I wanted a perfect tree I would be looking at 30k white pines. Which I wouldn't ever spend. (Not like I could anyway) Lol. I have some smaller trees in the making but I'm looking to have a decent specimen pine in my collection right now. I thought the price was right and was looking to pick it up.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ahh I thought he meant problems as in health and stuff not structural problems. Sure it has many problems but many trees have "problems" that's what makes them unique. If I wanted a perfect tree I would be looking at 30k white pines. Which I wouldn't ever spend. (Not like I could anyway) Lol. I have some smaller trees in the making but I'm looking to have a decent specimen pine in my collection right now. I thought the price was right and was looking to pick it up.
No, the health looks good. I would change the pot to something bigger and not round.

Wire it out properly, to get sun into the inner structure. It's gotten leggy. Probably needs cutting back.

The time to wire is early fall. September for JWP. Repot next March.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
No, the health looks good. I would change the pot to something bigger and not round.

Wire it out properly, to get sun into the inner structure. It's gotten leggy. Probably needs cutting back.

The time to wire is early fall. September for JWP. Repot next March.
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about pines. What is a good soil mix for them? I have lava, akadama, and pumice 1/3 each mix. What's good for pines? What fertilizer?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the info. I don't know much about pines. What is a good soil mix for them? I have lava, akadama, and pumice 1/3 each mix. What's good for pines? What fertilizer?
Particle sizes all exactly 1/8 th inch - I joke, but toward 1/8th inch (seriously). Maples and most angiosperms do best in media with particle size about 2mm. I have no trouble using this for conifers pine, spruce, tsuga, pseudotsuga, cedars, etc., but many aficionados prefer keeping pines in media with particle sizes up to about 5mm. Referring to the BNut soil physics resource, I think you'll see that particle size is possibly more important than the exact ilk of the inorganic materials.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Particle sizes all exactly 1/8 th inch - I joke, but toward 1/8th inch (seriously). Maples and most angiosperms do best in media with particle size about 2mm. I have no trouble using this for conifers pine, spruce, tsuga, pseudotsuga, cedars, etc., but many aficionados prefer keeping pines in media with particle sizes up to about 5mm. Referring to the BNut soil physics resource, I think you'll see that particle size is possibly more important than the exact ilk of the inorganic materials.
What about fertilizer? And how often?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Oso, 1/8 inch is too small for a big pine. More like 1/4 inch.

Pumice, lava, and akadama is perfect. Equal parts.

Begin fertilizing after the needles harden off. I use organic cakes and fish emulsion once a week.

Eddy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oso, 1/8 inch is too small for a big pine. More like 1/4 inch.

Pumice, lava, and akadama is perfect. Equal parts.

Begin fertilizing after the needles harden off. I use organic cakes and fish emulsion once a week.
How exactly do I tell when jwp needles are hardening off. Also how often does it need to be fertalized?

Edit: I missed the part where you said once a week. When should it be stopped?

Top Bottom