what do you think will happen to your trees after you die?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
just a thought I had...

I would these to pass on to my children, my daughter is 2 years old... and I have no idea if she will even like it.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a downer Max! A realistic answer to this would involve recounting experiences where people I know took on trees form individuals... In declining health and.. Well... It just doesn't end in a happy story. Best left untold.. What happens to your trees will be one of the lest of your worries if you have lived a happy, full life I am sure.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
that really wasn't the intention.
Just that I was reading about japanese trees pot grown for generations... and thought I would really like family in the future to keep some of them at least.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In areas with bonsai clubs don't they take on one anothers trees when that happens? In some cases here at least they have been donated to our botanical garden and the club maintains them.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I know my kids won't have my trees as they're completely uninterested in them. I suspect the best will be sold to someone capable of continuing their care, hopefully a long time before I pass (most of my best trees are BIG trees), and the rest will be given away....or sold on Ebay!!!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I tend not to think of that eventual outcome cuz it's not something you can control. My 2 year old is showing interest in bonsai but she may shun them later in life. I'd image I'd donate or sell them as I get incapable of caring for them.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Luckily, I have a younger friend and neighbor who does bonsai. He'll get the books, trees and pots (and already has a few of each as I pare down what I can care for these days. Son (55) and daughter (51) say they may take one or two -- but I doubt it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My buddy and I have a pact; get there within 24 hours to help the widow. Family gets first pick, we get seconds, and help value the remaining trees for sale or donation.
I have a good record of history, value. And most especially, ID, photos, and what I paid for pots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cant do it.
This is a thread or question that my unique talent of thread crapping would really shine through. Could really tear it up.
But this is no joking matter.
Jim, you're a better man than I.:(

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I sold 23 of my trees when my wife died in 2007 due to my not being able to devote enough care as a single guy along with the extra work that I had to do by myself suddenly.

I kept 3 that were not "care intense" and had some either sentimental or special startout.

3 is manageable by almost anyone.

In 2012, I met a lady who was married same year was, lost her husband same year I lost my wife, was in ALMOST the same business, and we have been together since.

She accompanies me to bonsai shows and enjoys watching (and learning) as I care for my (now 7 tree forest) of bonsai.

She expressed interest in having them if I kick the bucket (or pot) prior to her.

I have left her written instruction and addendum to my trust that SHE is to get them if she wants at that time.

She is more important than my trees but I also care for the trees.

She WILL keep them. She KNOWS when and how to do what with them for the most part. None require a LOT of maintenance.

I've been extremely fortunate to have had two superb women in my life and also to have experienced the wonder of making itty bitty trees conform to life in containers.

Damn lucky here, boss.

:)

Timbers jpg.jpg

Mudroot

Shohin
Reaction score
I also JUST MET a young guy at a store I frequent and he says he has 100 trees.
I intend to explore this further.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I wonder how many clubs have formal/informal written agreements with their members. Would be interesting to see a few.

Top Bottom