What does your backyard look like?

SteveT

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello BonsaiNut community.

Does anyone want to post pictures of their backyard/Bonsai garden?

Here's some of mine to start things. These were taken in January this year (before all the grass turned brown from lack of water).

Attachments

• P1010007_35.JPG
    P1010007_35.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 503
  • P1010008_35.JPG
    P1010008_35.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 423
  • P1010020_35.JPG
    P1010020_35.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 364
  • P1010021_35.JPG
    P1010021_35.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 390

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Mines still a construction zone and the bonsai are on the patio , out of the photos. Hopefully this will someday be a Japanese style garden.

Attachments

• IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0649.JPG
    IMG_0649.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 220

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hi Steve,

That is a pretty nice set up you have there..... looks good!

I will post mine later, right now it is going through a major transformation and looks like a construction zone....... it will all be worth it in the end though.

It is always cool to see what your online friends yards look like.

See Ya,

Jason

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Must be flavour of the month, I've been doing a garden make over for the past few months, seems to be taking for ever.

Attachments

• Courtyard 001.jpg
    Courtyard 001.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 357
  • Courtyard 002.jpg
    Courtyard 002.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 285
  • Courtyard 003.jpg
    Courtyard 003.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 275

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
And some more

Attachments

• Courtyard 005.jpg
    Courtyard 005.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Courtyard 006.jpg
    Courtyard 006.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Courtyard 007.jpg
    Courtyard 007.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 126

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
getting there

Attachments

• Courtyard 008.jpg
    Courtyard 008.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Courtyard 009.jpg
    Courtyard 009.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Courtyard 012.jpg
    Courtyard 012.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 126

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Last ones hope you enjoy

Attachments

• Courtyard 023.jpg
    Courtyard 023.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 221
  • Courtyard 011.jpg
    Courtyard 011.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 147

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Very nice Jon. Mine was started in June 2004 and I didn't have any bonsai then. Now I've got to find a space for them close to the lower pond. Hope to be done by the end of Aug

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice project you have there Jon! I can relate to your statement "It seems to be taking forever"!

I am 90% done with my bonsai area, just finished a patio and now am working on some berms for very large trees and then tackle the koi pond. All of this has to be done by the 3rd week of June, no exceptions! Fun stuff!

Dwight, your yard is very cool..... do you have a little boat that you paddle the wife through the channels like in Venice? :)

SteveT

Seedling
Reaction score
More please!!!

Dwight and Jon. I'm really impressed with both gardens. Thanks for sharing them.

Does anyone else want to share some photos?

jfecme

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, but it will be the weekend before I can.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sad to say I haven't touched the new back yard, just have these makeshift benches. However, I rented a DSLR for my photos for the KoB contest, and wow! what a difference a good camera makes! It's an Olympus E500, and I plan on taking lots of photos this weekend.

Attachments

• bench2comp.jpg
    bench2comp.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 274
  • benchcomp.jpg
    benchcomp.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 265
  • neagaricomp.jpg
    neagaricomp.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 245

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Well I guess with trees like that you can be excused. Just don't let it happen again. Never heard of renting a camera.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, the problem is, I didn't know much about the whole digital photography thing. So I googled Camera rental Kansas and boom! The lady was very nice and helpful, so I have been taking photos of my work on the Colorado blue spruce. Today I moved a very heavy, half-jin back branch and am detailing a foliage pad for it. Future work is almost all moving and wiring branches. I hope to finish the tree without moving any live branches. It's the second tall tree from the left on the back "bench."

I actually posted this in hopes that we would see others' back yards that are not as opulent (and labor intensive) as the two beautiful gardens we have seen as yet. I know we have seen Ashbarns' growing areas. How about, in order of post numbers, bonsainut, Will Heath, Tachigi, and Graydon? Surely you can't be any more embarrassed about your back yards than I am about mine! And following down the list, Vance Wood, bonsai Barry, John Hill, JasonG, and Zelk! That would show the top ten posters' back yards.

How about it guys? I showed you mine, as lowly as it is. Show us yours.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How about, in order of post numbers, bonsainut, Will Heath, Tachigi, and Graydon? Surely you can't be any more embarrassed about your back yards than I am about mine! And following down the list, Vance Wood, bonsai Barry, John Hill, JasonG, and Zelk! That would show the top ten posters' back yards.

How about it guys? I showed you mine, as lowly as it is. Show us yours.

How do I always get called into these things? ;)

I actually have what most would call two back yards, one is up north at my cabin where I have the good fortune to own a few acres. Over the last few years I have been transplanting and planting stock in the ground on a small section that once was cleared and tilled. There I am growing Jack Pines, Scots Pines, Larches, Hemlocks and a few deciduous species including Pin and Shrub Oaks, although the deer killed off my apple idea rather quickly. I still have more room than I know what to do with and plan on adding some Black Pines and Elms. These have all been cut back once and root pruned once. They are due again this year for a cut back, maybe in another five years I'll start lifting them. I have shown these pics before, but since the request was made....

Later I'll post some pics of my back yard where my bonsai are as well as a few growing areas. I have also found a cheap (often free) bench system that is portable, stackable, and doesn't look too bad that I will share at that time.

Until then,

Will

Attachments

• field 001.JPG
    field 001.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 232
  • field 002.JPG
    field 002.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do I always get called into these things? ;)
Will

Don't go getting paranoid, I called out the top ten posters in order. If we are going to monopolize things, we should probably give folks some perspective. And I have always been an open book.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't go getting paranoid, I called out the top ten posters in order. If we are going to monopolize things, we should probably give folks some perspective. And I have always been an open book.

I would hardly call being active on a forum monopolizing it, but I understand your point.

Will

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
I agree Chris, it would be good to see some of the regular posters bonsai displays. I think it helps us understand a little about the person.

John Hill has a very nice display that you can see here www.bonsaibeginnings.org It shows the degree of passion that John has for the art.

Dwight, I would love to see yours when it is completed and you can move your trees into it. How do you intend to display them?

Jon

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I agree Chris, it would be good to see some of the regular posters bonsai displays. I think it helps us understand a little about the person.

John Hill has a very nice display that you can see here www.bonsaibeginnings.org It shows the degree of passion that John has for the art.

Dwight, I would love to see yours when it is completed and you can move your trees into it. How do you intend to display them?

Jon

See here is the problem. John you said that you would like to see bonsai displays. I don't display my bonsai in the same sense most would understand this element. I have growing shelves in different locations where I put my trees. My set up is far from what one could call a display. I have trees here, there, and every where. I do not have the luxury of a large piece of property making the application of Monkey poles and the like a practical element with the number of trees I have. So if you want to see my dogs toilet and a lot of trees OK.

Top Bottom