What does your backyard look like?

Jon Chown

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey Vance, I can appreciate that you may well have trees all over the placeand in various stages of progress, untill recently, so did I. However even then I had my favourite trees in a special display area for my appreciation. Do you not have any trees that fit that description? As to size of property, I have to be satisfied with 24 perches or 600meters squared. Of that my display area is limited to 10 meters by 9 meters.

Suffice to say, I look forward to seeing your dogs toilet and what you can show.

Jon

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I actually posted this in hopes that we would see others' back yards that are not as opulent (and labor intensive) as the two beautiful gardens we have seen as yet. I know we have seen Ashbarns' growing areas. How about, in order of post numbers, bonsainut, Will Heath, Tachigi, and Graydon? Surely you can't be any more embarrassed about your back yards than I am about mine! And following down the list, Vance Wood, bonsai Barry, John Hill, JasonG, and Zelk! That would show the top ten posters' back yards.

How about it guys? I showed you mine, as lowly as it is. Show us yours.

Fine. Challenge accepted. I will take some shots tomorrow while the sun is out and post them. It's a good thing this thread is called "what does you back yard look like" and not "show us your Japanese gardens and bonsai displays" as I'm with Vance. I have no displays per say. I do have a pile of junk, last year's Christmas tree and an almost completed purple martin house to show off. Oh - and a few benches with some trees. For the record I'm not embarrassed about it, I love it just like it is.

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Dwight, I would love to see yours when it is completed and you can move your trees into it. How do you intend to display them?
Jon

Don't know yet , maybe a version of " monkey polls " close to the pond

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Well, the problem is, I didn't know much about the whole digital photography thing. So I googled Camera rental Kansas and boom! The lady was very nice and helpful, so I have been taking photos of my work on the Colorado blue spruce. Today I moved a very heavy, half-jin back branch and am detailing a foliage pad for it. Future work is almost all moving and wiring branches. I hope to finish the tree without moving any live branches. It's the second tall tree from the left on the back "bench."

I actually posted this in hopes that we would see others' back yards that are not as opulent (and labor intensive) as the two beautiful gardens we have seen as yet. I know we have seen Ashbarns' growing areas. How about, in order of post numbers, bonsainut, Will Heath, Tachigi, and Graydon? Surely you can't be any more embarrassed about your back yards than I am about mine! And following down the list, Vance Wood, bonsai Barry, John Hill, JasonG, and Zelk! That would show the top ten posters' back yards.

How about it guys? I showed you mine, as lowly as it is. Show us yours.

here goes....

yeah, i know its a mess....

and...
i own a crazy pit bull that will rip your face off....so don't get any funny ideas either ;)

Attachments

• yard.JPG
    yard.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 268

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been working in the backyard. I have trees all over the place. Should be nearly done tommorrow. I will post pics of the completion.

Cheers, al

Attachments

• DSC_00161.JPG
    DSC_00161.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC_00171.JPG
    DSC_00171.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_00241.JPG
    DSC_00241.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 216

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al...you're backyard looks like mine.Except,your is mowed.Stuff all over the place.Drives the wife and daughter crazy.

I used to have a very neat and tidy yard and display area.Recently,I've just plain run out of room and time.

The first pic is before...somewhere around 3 years ago.The second is this spring.

andy

Attachments

• 1627dscn4433.jpg
    1627dscn4433.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 286
  • DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    DSC_0004 copy.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 256
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al...you're backyard looks like mine.Except,your is mowed.Stuff all over the place.Drives the wife and daughter crazy.

I used to have a very neat and tidy yard and display area.Recently,I've just plain run out of room and time.

The first pic is before...somewhere around 3 years ago.The second is this spring.

andy

Tell you what. I will bring my pickup down and help you cart away a whole bunch of that junk...er, stuff.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
My Backyard is a Jungle!
But I am game!!!!!
Irene

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
And more of the Jungle

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
and just a few more along with Baby one of the yard beasts.
Please note the loving eyes.

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
As promised here's the photos. Not much to see. I live in the historic area downtown so we have a long and skinny lot. Most of the backyard is parking for my truck as the front drive is small and will barely hold the wife's car so I am happily banished to the alley.

I seriously need some more benches as I have way too many trees on the ground and the benches are packed with no space. Perhaps a summer project for me. Although it will have to wait until I tame the bamboo, trim the hedges and haul off the debris and build 2 windows for the workshop (see plywood covering in the photos) as per my better half.

Attachments

• IMG_2248.jpg
    IMG_2248.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2249.jpg
    IMG_2249.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_2250.jpg
    IMG_2250.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 230

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too Dwight....me too~LOL~.......plus....I don't think you have anything to feel bad about...your on the way to having an incredible set up.

It's amazing what this dang habit does to our time management.My excuse is that I recently brought home all the bonsai stock from a landscape nursery.And most of my trees are larger material.I carry them as far as I can and then set them down...that usually ends up being where they stay.

Chris...you're welcome anytime.That last picture doesn't show the half of it...you should see my side yards.

Irene,.....how in the world do you....er,I mean Terry takes care of all those trees?Watering system?..I hope...it's been a life saver for me.

andy

Last edited:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
QUOTE=agraham;4189]Me too Dwight....me too~LOL~.......plus....I don't think you have anything to feel bad about...your on the way to having an incredible set up.

It's amazing what this dang habit does to our time management.My excuse is that I recently brought home all the bonsai stock from a landscape nursery.And most of my trees are larger material.I carry them as far as I can and then set them down...that usually ends up being where they stay.

Chris...you're welcome anytime.That last picture doesn't show the half of it...you should see my side yards.

Irene,.....how in the world do you....er,I mean Terry takes care of all those trees?Watering system?..I hope...it's been a life saver for me.

andy[/QUOTE]

Dang!!! Thats what needs to be brought out of the shed....The Misting System!!!!
And this is the Mama that does the watering....Stuff still in the Nursery cans get watered when they need it...Bonsai and pre get daily or when they need it....Gives me plenty to do every day with my trees (and Terry's trees). Just need to find time for the other stuff! like sleep, mow jungle, go to stores, cook,clean, etc......:(

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is my back yard. I do not prominently display my trees so as not to attract attention to them, I reall couldn't if I wanted to because of the small room to item ratio. Nothing fancy but you get what you ask for.

Attachments

• DSC_0026.jpg550.jpg
    DSC_0026.jpg550.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_0030.jpg480.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg480.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC_0031.jpg475.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg475.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC_0036.jpg450.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg450.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC_0038.jpg400.jpg
    DSC_0038.jpg400.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 259

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some views of the business end of my yard after I cleaned up my mess from adding a shelf to the shohin area and adding a couple tables to hold a couple junipers.(more on those later)

Some close ups on the shohin. I have two tree Wizards protecting my shohin.

Attachments

• sm13.JPG
    sm13.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 202
  • sm12.JPG
    sm12.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 197
  • sm1.JPG
    sm1.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 209
  • sm19.JPG
    sm19.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 187

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the close ups on the three views of the shohin area.

The larger tree areas.

Attachments

• sm2.JPG
    sm2.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 172
  • sm3.JPG
    sm3.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 167
  • sm4.JPG
    sm4.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 142
  • sm6.JPG
    sm6.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 164
  • sm7.JPG
    sm7.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 162

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last area on the right used to house my elm forest. With that donated I decided to use it as a place to showcase a couple tree as a Tokonoma.

This area I worked on this weekend. I made a table for my Foemina forest and a cascade table for my California juniper semi cascade. Landscaped it, and I hope you all notice the sweet coral bark maple planted next to the cascade. My wife wanted that tree and she made me plant the bunjin juniper way in the back behind it. She says it looks like a scarecrow.

The last photo shows the far east end of my yard and a table I built a few months back for this huge myrtle.

I hope you enjoyed the photo's of my backyard, Cheers, Al

Attachments

• sm8.JPG
    sm8.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 190
  • sm9.JPG
    sm9.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 168
  • sm11.JPG
    sm11.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 189
  • sm10.JPG
    sm10.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 164
  • DSC_001811.JPG
    DSC_001811.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 174

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK....I'm starting to feel bad again...thanks alot Al.:eek: ....and Vance.

andy

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy, there are some incredable trees in those photo's. I would love to have any one of them.

Vance, you made your backyard out to be a mess. I was very amazed at the way you have your trees. Reminds me of the way Mas Imazumi's backyard used to look.

Awesome pics everyone!

Top Bottom