What... Go Home ???

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I like your video. A suggestion - you might want to consider an external mike. The audio has a little bit of echo, and you sound like you are presenting to a large audience and are speaking really loudly. The lighting is good and the video quality is good.

Reaction score
I like your video. A suggestion - you might want to consider an external mike. The audio has a little bit of echo, and you sound like you are presenting to a large audience and are speaking really loudly. The lighting is good and the video quality is good.
It is funny you mention this...

I actually do have an external mic that sits on top of the camera... that plugs into the side of the camera, which I realized had come out of where it plugs into just enough, that it wasn't pulling audio through it, about halfway through me filming all of this video...

Which left me in a bit of a pickle...

Plug it in... and have a quite noticeable quality of change in sound about half way through the video.

Re-shoot all of what I had already done, and somehow try to put back the tree to it's original state before beginning work... so, I could do it all over again...

Or, when in Rome... do what the Romans do, and just roll with it!

I decided that the third choice was best!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just want to say keep up the good work !
Tonight ill go and watch all your video's with a beer and tree in front of me !

Reaction score
Almost 200 views in half a day is pretty awesome! With every video I do... it just keeps getting better. Have to say though, that this tree really did turn out sweet! One of my favorites so far!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've not watched it. Just popped in for the commentary that is being said. As with what Greg said. From a past video the sound quality was poor. So I just came to read when I do pop on. Maybe knowing you corrected the audio...I may listen again. Maybe a note audio corrected might be handy.

Reaction score
I've not watched it. Just popped in for the commentary that is being said. As with what Greg said. From a past video the sound quality was poor. So I just came to read when I do pop on. Maybe knowing you corrected the audio...I may listen again. Maybe a note audio corrected might be handy.
Besides the mic actually being plugged in...
I will look at the audio settings within the camera. Some of this more than likely has has to do with the compression, and the default settings so that the sound is not clipping. If the levels are high... they will contribute to often a muddy sound without any of the lows or highs in level... giving the feeling of being in a cave.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another great design lesson. The audio is good enough not to disturb me. Thanks for contributions to small bonsai world like this.
PS: Can you see what's on my shelves? No, no need to split trunks but to place two equally thick branches (semi-trunks?) of my blaauw...

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I can see what is on your Shelves!

And I could of swore I heard one of tree's saying " It's not important if I am good material or not... What is important, is that you don't stay home!"

That you come to play!
All the great material in the world is not going to make you Great at doing Bonsai...
Anymore than me buying all of the Renaissance paintings in existence, is going to make me a good painter.

The sky is the limit... it will be up to you to decide if you want to become good. And how many hours you want to put in to achieve this...

I cannot tell you how to do this... but what I can tell you is that, it makes no sense dwelling on what you don't have... you will have to find a way with what you do have, to make something good!

A good Artist should be able to make something good out of what ever is put before them. Not pass...and say I would like some better material.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Just checked your Youtube channel, good stuff, my favourite is probly one branch juniper feat. Jane's Addiction.:) ...so you're saying something like : Free your minds.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Besides the mic actually being plugged in...
I will look at the audio settings within the camera.

I know almost nothing about audio settings or hardware, however when I mentioned an external mike, I was thinking more along the lines of something like this.

Clip it on your shirt collar, and it will pick up your voice clearly without picking up the acoustics in the room.

Reaction score
I know almost nothing about audio settings or hardware, however when I mentioned an external mike, I was thinking more along the lines of something like this.

Clip it on your shirt collar, and it will pick up your voice clearly without picking up the acoustics in the room.
I got you!
Yes... obviously a clip on mic would greatly improve the quality, I am sure...

Although... it might also turn off viewers as well... seeing they would then better hear my terrible voice! Lol!

I will definitely check into it... might have to wait till Santa comes around again? Seeing he helped me out last time with the Camera. problem too is that I would more than likely have to see about getting one without cords, seeing, I can already imagine the pain in the butt part of trying not to get all wrapped up in it!

Side note... I spoke to Bjorn earlier today. In the past he gave me some advice as far as improving my videos... so, I sent him a link to this one... and he said he I did a "Great Job!" with it. So, that's pretty cool!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perhaps give yourself a chance of cutting in to clips, every 5-10 mins.. by walking off camera or something.. something where you'd be able to split the clip and it not have a big affect on the video.

Like if you are standing on the right of the tree thencut to another clip and you starting on the left, that'd be rather extreme lol. I dunno... hopefully you get what I mean. Just little tricks for being able to segment clips together with a smoother transition.
I say this only based on people's comments, I don't say it as a complaint about the video at all, or something you've done wrong.

Reaction score
Almost 500 views in one day!
Thanks everyone!

When I first started doing these... it was mainly for myself, as a means to document what I was doing, so I would have a record of it.

But, through everyone's intrest in them and all of the wonderful comments and suggestions I have received... It has become apparent that there is much more at play here, than just me doing documentation.

So, I will keep pumping them out, thanks again!

Ginseng Ficus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'm glad I found your video. YouTube you say link to your videos?
I hope you don't mind me asking you if you have Ataxia , I have Ataxia and you talk just like other Ataxians. Ataxia.org
I do this as a hobby to keep me from getting bored from my disability.
Thanks for your video and channel please!
Jerry

Reaction score
I'm glad I found your video. YouTube you say link to your videos?
I hope you don't mind me asking you if you have Ataxia , I have Ataxia and you talk just like other Ataxians. Ataxia.org
I do this as a hobby to keep me from getting bored from my disability.
Thanks for your video and channel please!
Jerry
My YouTube Channel is just my name
Stacy Allen Muse

I also have a couple of Chinese Brush Painting videos on there as well, where I paint using traditional Chinese brushes, sumie - ink and watercolor... that you might find interesting, and perhaps fun to learn how to do... to kill the boredom.

Thanks for the reply!
As far as having Ataxia... No, I don't have it. In fact, I didn't actually know what it was... so, I had to look it up. Sorry, to hear that you have it, but glad to hear you are still able to do Bonsai. Keep at it and hopefully some of the videos I have done will help to inspire you to want to do more! Thanks again for the post... would love to see some of your trees!

Last edited:
Top Bottom