What Good Is A Red Pot?

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased this pot (seller's photos below) and have no clue what would be appropriate to put in it. It's small with a diameter of a little of 3", so it'll be reserved for the smallest of shohin or maybe an accent. But because of its color I'm not even sure it would be appropriate for an accent. What would be appropriate to put in such a pot. Would a red flowering azalea, or a trident that has bright red new growth be appropriate or would that be to matchy, matchy? Or should I use something that contrasts with the color of the pot?

Serious pot selection is something I'm just starting to explore so I'm looking forward to a good discussion! :D

Ryan

Attachments

• Juetsu Red Pot 1.JPG
    Juetsu Red Pot 1.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 76
  • Juetsu Red Pot 2.JPG
    Juetsu Red Pot 2.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 119

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Flowering plants. The color accents the flowers.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Flowering plants. The color accents the flowers.

:confused: ...err....Thanks for taking the time to reply.....but I think you missed the question. Any thoughts on what color of flowers? Would a feminine maple work as well?

I'm also hoping some one can post some examples. I've searched all over the internet trying to find examples of well used red pots but can't seem to find any.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering how to use a pot is extremely subjective. Trying to "match" a colored pot with a similarly colored plant is difficult and can result in a boring composition.

Generally, you can choose a flowering plant that constrasts with the pot color--blue would be the contrasting color for red. So a blue flowering accent plant might look pretty good with this.

Alternatively, you might also use a red flowering plant that has a more intense red than the pot.

A maple would be OK with it, too, but might not offer much contrast in the fall.

It's really up to you to find something you consider to be attractive. It all boils down to individual taste, really.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not something I would do...but there ya go.

Attachments

• DSC_00570057.JPG
    DSC_00570057.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 212

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Al has a good suggestion: a flowering accent plant.

Your objective is to choose something that the pot's color won't overpower -- and that red is pretty exuberant -- and with which it will harmonize. Maybe something like a pomegranate in flower; the blossom color wouldn't duplicate the pot's, but would harmonize with it, I would think.

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying to "match" a colored pot with a similarly colored plant is difficult and can result in a boring composition.

Great thoughtful response. Thank you! This is what I'm afraid of...boring.

How about this though...I have a Katsura maple (like the one below) that might work to show off its new growth. My reasoning? Well here in zone 9 FL we are lucky to get good fall color and it's never consistent. So I really like to show off the new growth on maples. I have a trident that has deep deep blood red new growth as well. So I'm think with this pot one or the other it might be a good match. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Katsura.jpg
    Katsura.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 56

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not something I would do...but there ya go.

Hi Al,

I know you have extensive experience with pots and display so I'm interested (if you don't mind) hearing your reasoning for why you wouldn't use the pot in your photo?

To me it seems to add a nice visual with the otherwise subdued colors in the display.

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al has a good suggestion: a flowering accent plant.

Your objective is to choose something that the pot's color won't overpower -- and that red is pretty exuberant -- and with which it will harmonize. Maybe something like a pomegranate in flower; the blossom color wouldn't duplicate the pot's, but would harmonize with it, I would think.

Thanks treebeard, I hadn't thought of a pomegranate. That would be very nice with this pot.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't use this pot with a tree...

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't bother with reds so much but instead a complement color of red....a lime green accent or if that contrast "buzzes" too much perhaps something with small white flowers.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I wouldn't use this pot with a tree...

I would.

I have a very similar size pot (a bit bigger - 6 inches). The red is a bit less "electric," closer to "fire engine red". I have a white flowering quince planted in it. Darg green, glossy leaves, and white flowers. Should look great!

Attachments

• red 1.jpg
    red 1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 32

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless the guy has a jewel of a mame, a three inch pot is tall order to fill for a tree.

Sure white flowers of any sort would look good in it. Dwarf hosta, dwarf iris, bluets, would look equally as good.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently purchased this pot (seller's photos below) and have no clue what would be appropriate to put in it. It's small with a diameter of a little of 3", so it'll be reserved for the smallest of shohin or maybe an accent. But because of its color I'm not even sure it would be appropriate for an accent. What would be appropriate to put in such a pot. Would a red flowering azalea, or a trident that has bright red new growth be appropriate or would that be to matchy, matchy? Or should I use something that contrasts with the color of the pot?

Serious pot selection is something I'm just starting to explore so I'm looking forward to a good discussion! :D

Ryan

:confused: Then why did you buy it?

Reaction score
if you put a pine in it, it would be very christmas like??? I would happen to agree that your choices are going to be kinda limited with only a three inch pot, I would either go with an accent plant to your bonsai... colors white(as mentioned), yellow, orange. Or something with either fruit as mentioned, like the pomegranete, barbados cherry, Pyracantha, etc.
usually one finds a pot for a plant, not a plant for a pot... unless it is to go of a deal to pass up.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Looks like a good place to store the keys or the mobile.

Many of my pots are waiting on the shelves with things in them,sunglases,lens duster,putative gizzard stone.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I find a really nice pot, have the funds to buy it, I won't wait for a tree. A good pot will not die (unless you smash it), is reuseable and can sometimes increase in value with no effort on my part. A good pot, even if you don't have a tree is mostly a sound investment.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
usually one finds a pot for a plant, not a plant for a pot... unless it is to go of a deal to pass up.

...or it's just a nice, well made pot, perhaps by a potter whose work you admire. Many of the pots I own were purchased purely for the beauty and workmanship of the pot. Though, I admit, a fair number of them were purchased because they were made well and priced right:D.

rock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
japanese blood grass

What would be appropriate to put in such a pot.
how bout this, a good spring show accent

Attachments

• japanese_blood_grass.jpg
    japanese_blood_grass.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 37
Top Bottom