What happens if one wires the branch in a way that all leaves are upside down?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Title says it all.
When a tree is not a conifer, will the leaves eventually turn their top side up to reach for the light by themselves?
I am trying NOT to twist the wire alongside the lenght of those branches.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The leave might succumb.

For many species, the bottom of the leave is spotted with stomata for breathing. Putting that in sun will let them dry out. Also, the cells are better protected with a waxy coat.

So.. worst case.. They dry out, fall off and the tree needs to re-sprout.

Species-dependent they might flip around.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do it all the time, and have not really watched to determine if indeed they turn, but I've not seen upside down leaves on the branches that I've done this to for very long. So my guess would be that they will turn up to the light.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Putting that in sun will let them dry out.

Species-dependent they might flip around.

Interesting.
I wonder if I leave the tree in the shade for a couple of days and check if they flipped over? Might be safer I guess.
🤔

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
So my guess would be that they will turn up to the light.
Thanks Judy, I guess it means in your species the leaves didn't dry out and die, am I right?
Well, if a long shoot of a bougie, for instance, grows towards the opposite side of the design, if turned to the desired side it can end up being upside down. If I twist the wire, like I would do on a juniper, the shoot breaks. So upside down it is set .

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've seen leaves attempt to re-orient themselves to the position of the sun when branches have been repositioned during the growing season, though I can't say I've ever seen what happens if the branch has been twisted 180 degrees/ upside down... honestly, I'd suspect I would hear a decidedly loud "snap!" before ever getting the branch into that position, and the future of the leaves becomes a moot point :p .

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
180 degrees/ upside down... honestly, I'd suspect I would hear a decidedly loud "snap!"

Well, bougainvilleas surely might be the exception as it is easy to do it with young long shoots. I am not arguing the matter at all, but I have just done that and they didn't snap. 😳

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Well, bougainvilleas surely might be the exception as it is easy to do it with young long shoots. I am not arguing the matter at all, but I have just done that and they didn't snap. 😳
That makes sense, as vines are less woody then, say, a maple, and are more likely to survive aggressive twisting. Good luck with it!.

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I airlayered a prunus branch growing downwards, so all the leaves were upside down. After separation it dropped most of the leaves, but in the spring it grew normally. I am sure that happened because of the separation

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Judy, I guess it means in your species the leaves didn't dry out and die, am I right?
Well, if a long shoot of a bougie, for instance, grows towards the opposite side of the design, if turned to the desired side it can end up being upside down. If I twist the wire, like I would do on a juniper, the shoot breaks. So upside down it is set .
No they didn't dry out or die, so they must have reoriented. I know I've manipulated maples and hornbeams in this manner.

@Dav4 , the bend wasn't all in the same spot, half a turn in one spot then half a turn a few inches away... so can be done safely. I use these types of bends to get tons of interesting movement in early development.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Could it be a difference between evergreens and deciduous? Or fast and slow species?
I’d guess it’s a species to species difference. I’ve flipped foliage on multiple different junipers without any issue.

Top Bottom