What has attacked my Kiyohime!!??

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got this tree in April or May, when it was fully in leaf, so I didn't want to repot it then. We've had a wet summer so far, but I've been careful to avoid over-watering. I think.
Within the last ten days, leaves have started turning real sick looking overnight. Seriously! I thought it must be a fungus of some sort, so I mixed up some fertilizer-lome triple action spray. It's supposed to be an insecticide-fungicide-miticide, and I've used it before successfully.
I was still seeing an occasional mis-colored leaf, which I removed and destroyed. This morning, I saw this! A quarter of my remaining leaves were sick. This can't go on!
What does it look like? How can I save my tree!?
Kiyohime.2017August03.jpg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These maybe?
Japanese beetle?image.jpeg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like sun damage actually.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've heard that the beetle catchers only draw more in....makes sense.....could backfire I suppose.

I mean, that's a lot of beetles you have there....but it's a tiny fraction of all of them.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've heard that the beetle catchers only draw more in....makes sense.....could backfire I suppose.

I mean, that's a lot of beetles you have there....but it's a tiny fraction of all of them.
This is true. I put my traps on the edges of my property far from my house.

CamdenJim

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Thanks @osoyoung and @rockm.

I'm more concerned about too much water than too little. But -- I hadn't thought about the roots getting too hot. I'll move it to another spot, with only dappled sun and see how things go.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Compare your leaves to those , especially post 3 of this article. Please do what it says and fix this thing. I am really tired of seeing crappy leaves on maples cause people won't spray for fungus. And please don't use "all in ones" for treating bonsai. Use the appropriate cure for what ails the tree. Spraying all that other crap is just a waste of money.

Put your maple in the right spot, hydrate correctly and as often as needed, fertilize regularly and keep the tree healthy and fungus won't be an issue. Fungus is an opportunistic attacker and is looking for the weak stuff.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Compare your leaves to those , especially post 3 of this article. Please do what it says and fix this thing. I am really tired of seeing crappy leaves on maples cause people won't spray for fungus. And please don't use "all in ones" for treating bonsai. Use the appropriate cure for what ails the tree. Spraying all that other crap is just a waste of money.

Put your maple in the right spot, hydrate correctly and as often as needed, fertilize regularly and keep the tree healthy and fungus won't be an issue. Fungus is an opportunistic attacker and is looking for the weak stuff.

There you have it!

Sucks lately!

Everywhere it seems!

Sorce

Top Bottom