What have done for the bonsai community this week?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
What have you done for the bonsai community this week?

There has been a lot of discussion recently about the bonsai community as a whole, the publications we read, and what we would like to see happening in the bonsai world or changed for that matter.

This got me thinking about just who is actively attempting to add to the community, to advance it in anyway, shape or form. It would be interesting I think to see what is being done and how and by who, if it is locally, on a forum, in publications, statewide, nationwide, or even worldwide. Beyond growing, styling, or showing your own trees, that is.

So, what have you done for the bonsai community this week?

Will Heath

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I wrote an article that was published at AoB that is getting some of the biggest names in bonsai together talking about putting together a National Show along the lines of the big shows in Japan and Europe.

I got my teeth kicked in for defending the right of older growers of bonsai to exist and post an opinion without being called frail, stupid, out of touch and generally useless. I dismantled a gallery.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I spent a lot of money to keep vendors happy :)

I guess in a small way, I spoke with a nursery up in Minnesota about bonsai. About the kinds of stock we would be most interested in, and about the kind of rootage we are looking for. I told them I would write a review on the site, and I did :) Hopefully people will see it, and send a little business their way. Sometimes it is small things like this that raise the general awareness of bonsai.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On New Year's Eve I met someone online from my hometown that was interested in bonsai. I was able to provide information to him regarding the local bonsai club and a local nursery. This week we discussed getting together to do some air layering. Of course, I benefit as much as he does from this exchange.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just this week Will :) , Since time is a blur this time of year, and doesn't come into focus till the growing season starts. It could of been this week and last. I have written an article for a regional publication. Did a workshop with a 6th grade class at a local school, as I am a huge proponent of kids getting involved with bonsai. Donated some shimpaku to a local club and hosted a wiring contest and put up one of the pots on my web site as a prize. Finally, I actually worked through my writers block and finished a chapter in my book. Wow, looking back on it, last week(s) was pretty productive.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
The week in bonsai huh? For bonsai and not for ourselves? Will - this could be one of the best questions relating to the community of bonsai I have seen on a forum.

I've been given the task to book speakers and demos for our local club and apparently I'm off to a late start. I have attempted to track down people and make calls and write emails to see availability of a dozen people for the coming year and make it all work on a schedule without having back to back ficas demos. Some local (Florida) and some National. Our club may be getting shafted by our State organization - no opportunity to get touring Masters this year. Not sure why, I suppose I should have stepped up to do this last year.

I'm currently on my way to our monthly club workshop out at a local nursery. We'll spend the better part of the day working with "newbies" and whatever material they bring. Sometimes it's like russian roulette but it's needed. Trying to find new ways to say pot it up and let it grow for 5 - 10 years, not having too much luck.

I don't know if this qualifies but trying to make some sense out of some discussions on other forums, mainly bonsaiTalk. Sometimes I am confused as to the motives and the focus of some posters there, I enjoy the discussion and debate but cringe when people like Vance get insulted. I would give up there but I keep going back, I enjoy trying to answer the newbie questions I can even though the response sometimes sparks a debate.

I corresponded several times with a gentleman in South America, can't remember what country. He's having issues getting JBP seeds to grow and I decided to do more than post replies on a board. We email frequently. They finally came up and now he is going to start 300 more.

In between my "real job" hours I try to work on my bonsai products - I have designed several turntables and a wire caddy, some have been produced and some are just passing the prototype phase. I need to put more effort in to them as I have more sold than I have in stock but the real world calls at 60 - 80 hours a week. Still have a neglected web site that needs updating.

That's about it. Enough to make me neglect my own trees.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have designed several turntables and a wire caddy, some have been produced and some are just passing the prototype phase. I need to put more effort in to them as I have more sold than I have in stock but the real world calls at 60 - 80 hours a week.

Heh-hemmm, I'm still waiting patiently to get a gander ;)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The week in bonsai huh? For bonsai and not for ourselves? Will - this could be one of the best questions relating to the community of bonsai I have seen on a forum.

I've been given the task to book speakers and demos for our local club and apparently I'm off to a late start. I have attempted to track down people and make calls and write emails to see availability of a dozen people for the coming year and make it all work on a schedule without having back to back ficas demos. Some local (Florida) and some National. Our club may be getting shafted by our State organization - no opportunity to get touring Masters this year. Not sure why, I suppose I should have stepped up to do this last year.

I'm currently on my way to our monthly club workshop out at a local nursery. We'll spend the better part of the day working with "newbies" and whatever material they bring. Sometimes it's like russian roulette but it's needed. Trying to find new ways to say pot it up and let it grow for 5 - 10 years, not having too much luck.

I don't know if this qualifies but trying to make some sense out of some discussions on other forums, mainly bonsaiTalk. Sometimes I am confused as to the motives and the focus of some posters there, I enjoy the discussion and debate but cringe when people like Vance get insulted. I would give up there but I keep going back, I enjoy trying to answer the newbie questions I can even though the response sometimes sparks a debate.

I corresponded several times with a gentleman in South America, can't remember what country. He's having issues getting JBP seeds to grow and I decided to do more than post replies on a board. We email frequently. They finally came up and now he is going to start 300 more.

In between my "real job" hours I try to work on my bonsai products - I have designed several turntables and a wire caddy, some have been produced and some are just passing the prototype phase. I need to put more effort in to them as I have more sold than I have in stock but the real world calls at 60 - 80 hours a week. Still have a neglected web site that needs updating.

That's about it. Enough to make me neglect my own trees.

Graydon: Please, I was not insulted so much as displeased at being treated as a second class citizen in the bonsai community, and that so far only one has recognized that trend over there.

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Being an old geezer myself,I tried to explain to someone that disagreement is not direspect.I could have added that taking down a gallery of trees that represent good work and that are enjoyed by some is not a particularly mature response...as a matter of fact is it is ....well......geezerish.

andy

andy

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Show

I wrote an article that was published at AoB that is getting some of the biggest names in bonsai together talking about putting together a National Show along the lines of the big shows in Japan and Europe.

Vance, no disrespect intended. This show has been in the planning/conceptual stage for well over a year. As was posted on AoB the show will probably never be as big as Japan and Europe because of the geographic logistical problems that US presents. However it would be nice to bring together the collective US bonsai family under one roof.

I read your article and it was very thought provoking. I was impressed with the overall response to it.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have been working on cropping and resizing photos of the premiere bonsai show in the country, preparing for a lavish educational and community-building article which I will post on my website and perhaps bonsaiTALK.

That and building friendship ties, offering help locally, etc.

I await your effort. Are they by American artists?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And how, exactly, does dismantling a gallery help the bonsai community?

It is going to be moved and updated to a more friendly environment.

Why have you not posted a personal gallery other than the two pictures of the same tree Chris? When was the last time I asked you about that issue?

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Graydon: Please, I was not insulted so much as displeased at being treated as a second class citizen in the bonsai community, and that so far only one has recognized that trend over there.

Perhaps I haphazardly posted that remark this morning Vance. I meant that I was insulted that you were offended. Err... I was offended that you were perturbed, no no no I mean I was perturbed that you were miffed.

Vance - I am on your side. I hope a remark I made there or here did not offend you or other members.

Anyhow I regret posting this morning. I won't go back and delete my post - but after a day reflecting I have now come to believe it does really not matter. We do what we do and any form of accounting for our actions is silly and useless.

It's like telling everyone I know that I donate to the United Way - so what. It does no good to tell someone that I do so - it's the act of doing so that counts. That and the product of my donation and all the wonderful things that happen because of it.

So in conclusion - I hurt my arm patting myself on the back today. I hope you all fared better than I with the self gratification listing of accomplishments for the bonsai community.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's wonderful. I very much hope for the success in your endeavour.

As to my gallery I have become more and more aware that my contributions at BT are not needed or appreciated for the most part so I decided I would move them elsewhere, they are after all my pictures. As far as a contribution to the bonsai community; according to what I have been hearing I don't think my gallery is going to be missed much any way. There are an abundance of masters over there that don't believe I know what I am doing and though they will not come out and directly say so they are definitely quick with the double-entendre little accusatory jibes. I don't need a house to fall on me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Excellent article I might add, it addressed a topic that has been "suggested" before but never really put to the test. Other than the discussion on the national show, it brought together some respected artists. who knows what else may come of it? ;)

I guess in a small way, I spoke with a nursery up in Minnesota about bonsai. About the kinds of stock we would be most interested in, and about the kind of rootage we are looking for. I told them I would write a review on the site, and I did :) Hopefully people will see it, and send a little business their way. Sometimes it is small things like this that raise the general awareness of bonsai.
Promoting nurseries that cater to bonsai as well as informing fellow bonsaists of the nursery instead of keeping it to yourself indeed helps the community.

On New Year's Eve I met someone online from my hometown that was interested in bonsai. I was able to provide information to him regarding the local bonsai club and a local nursery. This week we discussed getting together to do some air layering. Of course, I benefit as much as he does from this exchange.
Introducing new members to a club as well as stroking their interest in the art is a excellent way to promote bonsai!

I have written an article for a regional publication. Did a workshop with a 6th grade class at a local school, as I am a huge proponent of kids getting involved with bonsai. Donated some shimpaku to a local club and hosted a wiring contest and put up one of the pots on my web site as a prize. Finally, I actually worked through my writers block and finished a chapter in my book. Wow, looking back on it, last week(s) was pretty productive.
Now that is keeping busy! Way to help out the community as well as the future artists!

Wow, that's a lot of community building, great work!

I have been working on cropping and resizing photos of the premiere bonsai show in the country, preparing for a lavish educational and community-building article which I will post on my website and perhaps bonsaiTALK.
This sounds exciting!

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Perhaps I haphazardly posted that remark this morning Vance. I meant that I was insulted that you were offended. Err... I was offended that you were perturbed, no no no I mean I was perturbed that you were miffed.

Vance - I am on your side. I hope a remark I made there or here did not offend you or other members.

Anyhow I regret posting this morning. I won't go back and delete my post - but after a day reflecting I have now come to believe it does really not matter. We do what we do and any form of accounting for our actions is silly and useless.

It's like telling everyone I know that I donate to the United Way - so what. It does no good to tell someone that I do so - it's the act of doing so that counts. That and the product of my donation and all the wonderful things that happen because of it.

So in conclusion - I hurt my arm patting myself on the back today. I hope you all fared better than I with the self gratification listing of accomplishments for the bonsai community.

I don't particularly hold anything against anyone, least of all you. I am more or less making a protest against those people that for one reason or another think it is OK to do what they do and are allowed to get away with it. Then, when someone, in this case me, protests this behavior they, in this case me, become the bad guy and en cour the wrath of others of like mind set and lack of class. I don't expect anything from anyone except a degree of civility and maybe, just maybe, a small sampling of respect nothing less than I have offered everyone I have talked to, even those who find it compelling to make innuendos about my age or years in bonsai as being stupid, meaningless and of no value what so ever. Of course those were not the words used but the intent was there. I find it difficult to sit back and eat a excrement sandwich without the bread which is what is expected of me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance, no disrespect intended. This show has been in the planning/conceptual stage for well over a year. As was posted on AoB the show will probably never be as big as Japan and Europe because of the geographic logistical problems that US presents. However it would be nice to bring together the collective US bonsai family under one roof.

I read your article and it was very thought provoking. I was impressed with the overall response to it.

Which show?

I know of two different national shows in the planning stages, looks like one has stalled but is being revamped as we speak and I seriously hope to see the two groups merge, only time will tell. I think the show could be just as big as the European shows or the Japan shows as the geographic problems can be easily overcome by simply rotating locations every year, it would be a three year cycle, one year West Coast, one year East Coast, and one year Mid- America. A country this size needs to be divided up and this plan would put three years inbetween a regions show, not too long at all for a national show.

What Vance's article did do was get people, some of the right people, talking about a American Show, who knows, like Japan, we just may have more than one quality show. America certainly is big enough to handle it.

Just my thoughts,

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
And how, exactly, does dismantling a gallery help the bonsai community?

I don't believe Vance mentioned in this thread that it did.

My thoughts are that a person is free to do with their own photos what they see fit.

Just my thoughts,

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We do what we do and any form of accounting for our actions is silly and useless.

Respectfully, I started this thread to show people that bonsaists from all over are actively contributing to and building the community. From teaching a child how to make a bonsai to writing articles for national magazines, each and every good action helps bonsai to become better.

Accomplishments? Not really, actions such as those listed above by all these good people are usually thankless and often quickly forgotten, many even get criticized for doing such things. What is nice is that the time spent by these people doing these things is time they spend away from their own collection, they make a sacrifice to help the community, they deserved to be thanked and respected. Self gratification? You bet, sometimes it's the only gratification one gets.

It seems everyone talks about the community but few people put into it, like any community, people should give also and not just take. This goes for forums, clubs, national levels and world-wide as well. Way too many people worry about finding fault with so-and-so or complaining about this or that, but few are actively participating in building the community, helping it, or fixing what they believe to be flawed.

I personally applaud those here who spoke up and told us what they have done, congratulations, you deserve it. Thanks for what you are doing, keep up the good work, and hopefully your stories will inspire others to do the same.

Now, what have others done lately?

Will

Last edited:
Top Bottom