What have you bought in a moment of weakness, that you didn't need?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This may be a hair brained idea, but I was in Walmart (yuck) today, which is a rare event in and of itself, and I was tempted by this azalea combo planted. There are four small azaleas here of different cultivars. After bloom I will split them up and grow them on. I am certain they will require extra winter protection in my coldframe.
Didn't need it but I was intrigued. It was only $10.
IMG_6333.JPGIMG_6336.JPGIMG_6337.JPGIMG_6338.JPGIMG_6339.JPG I am a sucker for soft pink and variegation so I couldn't pass on it.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The title of this thread is a rabbit hole, I have a lot of moments of weakness. Not even kidding I bought the exact same pink and white azalea at Wal-mart yesterday, while killing time during my husbands surgery. I considered it an early Valentines gift to myself.:p. I bought the one with the most unopened blooms so I could get more bang for the buck. Pictures coming soon on the Flowers 2022 thread. (but they look just like yours :)).

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The spotted one intrigued me the most as well.

What I actually want this year is to find a Belgian indica of the Hortinno lime series:

There are actually no pictures of a full flower of these online anywhere, except for some Russian site.
The yellowish green is kinda interesting and odd.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

What I actually want this year is to find a Belgian indica of the Hortinno lime series:

There are actually no pictures of a full flower of these online anywhere, except for some Russian site.
The yellowish green is kinda interesting and odd.
Yep that top one is it. I assume a Florist azalea forced to bloom early?

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m doing fairly good at the moment and managed to dodge a myriad of random plants. However on my hunt for “a” Bougie I did manage to end up with 12 cuttings and a small plant which on repot turned out to be two so if I do get some rooting success on the cuttings then there is gonna be some donating going on further down the road.

I am trying very very hard at the moment not to purchase an Acer Shirasawanum, I know they are no good for bonsai but I was thinking of just enjoying one as an ornamental tree. Love their leaves but thankfully the prices for moderate sized nursery stock are enough to keep me at bay. Also the indecisiveness over which one but probably an Aureum.

@penumbra , pretty sure I would not have been able to pass up that Azalea bargain either!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agreed!.

That place "hums" with Morbid Tones.

But REALLY pretty flowers, though!

🤓
But the “People of Walmart” YouTube videos are a great alternative when a zoo is closed due to the pandemic!

Request to a co-worker during a work trip to South Dakota some years ago “can you take me to a Walmart really late at night? I wanna see the weirdos!”

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I can't even go to the nursery for it invokes the darkness within me. 85% chance I come home with something that I don't need/don't have room for. I was looking at azaleas at home depot last weekend though and I some how managed to escape without one.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just pulled the trigger on this 2 gal Toyo Nishiki Quince before reading this thread!

873D447D-FA80-4ECD-9A42-51CC016DF100.png

So far I’ve resisted any Azaleas! Incredible, I know. Yet when I get the urge I’ve been going out to the back yard and looking at all the young azaleas I need to work on in a couple weeks! That usually puts me out of the mood.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom