What have you done in the past week

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I for one am looking forward to seeing some of those trees!
Did you bring the jack pines home with you?
How about a close up of the small needles on them?
And hey I enjoy someone else taking pics as much as me taking them :D
Mom

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
I think he needs to post the recipe for the wine if it works that good !

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I for one am looking forward to seeing some of those trees!
Did you bring the jack pines home with you?

Yes, I brought all of them I dug up home, no one at the cabin to water them. That's the worst part of collecting, once home, you have to pot them all. I'll get a close up or two of the needles.

As for the wine reciepe....don't watch an old Italian make it, don't inspect the equipment, just fill the flask, toss it in the backpack and forget it until needed. If you know too much then it loses its flavor, the mind can play with you like that. ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I brought all of them I dug up home, no one at the cabin to water them. That's the worst part of collecting, once home, you have to pot them all. I'll get a close up or two of the needles.

As for the wine reciepe....don't watch an old Italian make it, don't inspect the equipment, just fill the flask, toss it in the backpack and forget it until needed. If you know too much then it loses its flavor, the mind can play with you like that. ;)

Will

Reminds me of the old saw about how laws and sausage are made!

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Here ya go, my daughter took charge of the penny for size comparison, after all it was her penny. The needles are shown uncleaned up and without any reduction to date as they were just collected. This size is typical of Jack Pines in the wild and is what makes them good candidates for Shohin. The first pic is of one of the split and swollen trunks, broken and healed a few times after being ran over, the picture is meant to show the back-budding that has occurred at almost ground level.

Will

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Cool. Now I need to scout the areas near Ocala for ATV paths and trampled sand pines. Thanks for the idea!

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Great find Will, look forward to see what these will become.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool. Now I need to scout the areas near Ocala for ATV paths and trampled sand pines. Thanks for the idea!

Yes, the ATV trails also occassionally get hit by "GROOMERS" a machine that cuts on both sides to keep the trails clear for snowmobilers and ATV'ers....sometime the same trees get "groomed" many times leaving snunted and battered trunks. I have a few of these marked in the GPS for future collection.

Will

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Great pics of her hand! Nice to have help with the little things! Tell her Thank You for me!
Those are some small needles. Is that typical on all of them?
Mom
Irene

candyjshirey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Will -

Since you are sharing your new jack pines, I thought that I would chime in with my new jack pine (also collected). For scale, the growing box is 40 inches long.

20070701-IMG_4475.jpg

20070701-IMG_4476.jpg

-Candy

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When was it collected? Wonderful material I can't wait to see what you do with it.

candyjshirey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Vance -

Collected in the spring by a friend. New addition to my bench last week.

Once it is healthy, tree and me will share some good times. I antiicipate a good share of carving and deadwood on this one.

-Candy

candyjshirey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Last weeks project: Crab apple air layer separation. Stock from Oregon Bonsai (Thanks Rich and Jason!)

I choose an air layer as a viable option because of the long straight trunk bottom did not harmonize with the top of the tree.

1. Stock as advertised
2. Airlayer started in late April. This is the tree in early July.
3. Close-up of airlayer
4. After separation
5. After separation - Wide shot

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Candy, good to see you here. Wonderful Jack, is this from the Ranger? I really would like to take that trip with you someday. I know of three people working with Jacks right now, amazing trees and I think we will see more of them in the future. How are the others doing for you that you showed me before?

Oh, I haven't shared my Jacks yet, just the foliage, lol. ;)

Will

candyjshirey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Candy, good to see you here.

Quite a comfortable place to be! -Many "old" friends and familiar faces.

Wonderful Jack, is this from the Ranger?

Yes.

How are the others doing for you that you showed me before?

They are teaching me. They are sensitive to branch bending, especially young branches. (Cambium layer easily seperates.) I do not yet know the prime time to disturb roots but I have learned to be careful and do partial soil changes over time. They don't like wet feet... etc

What have the Jacks taught you?

-Candy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are teaching me. They are sensitive to branch bending, especially young branches. (Cambium layer easily seperates.) I do not yet know the prime time to disturb roots but I have learned to be careful and do partial soil changes over time. They don't like wet feet... etc

What have the Jacks taught you?

There are indeed some old friends here and some new ones too!

The Jacks have taught me a greater understanding of patience.

You are correct, the are very sensitive to branch bending, which is surprising considering what they go through in the wild. The Jack shown below, collected for Literati was healthy and responding well until I wired it and took the bending a little too far.

I have had the best luck collecting in July, I first tried this a couple years ago based on availability and on the success on other pines using Vance Wood's timing for Mugos and Scots.

Here in Michigan where I collect, the Jacks grow in pure sand with very few exceptions and there is usually no other option for these than to bare root. Every attempt to retain the soil mass is futile as the sand just runs right off of the roots. The second picture below shows the one I lost being collected and behind it is a perfect example of the sandy soil.

One nice thing about Jacks is the bark, even on younger trees the bark is roughly amazing.

Check you email Candy. ;)

Will

Top Bottom