Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a better photo...

4d18_3.JPG

He has another as well. Of course, listing a tree for $1K is different than selling it for that price. I was impressed that the last tree actually sold for that price...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen some spectacular white pines selling at the GSBF Anaheim convention for twice of the price of this one. And this looks like a seedling, compared to the ones at the convention.

$995 is an amazing price for such an imature stock. If it sells, I can't help but congratulate to the seller for making a killing with a stick in the pot - I don't care how rare the variety is, it is still (a rather elegant) a stick in the pot, with some attractive branch placement.

Last edited:

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Attila,

Sorry my friend but I feel like picking on someone today. Stick in a pot, not stick in the pot. Repeat 3 times:)

I don't even know why folks surf evil bay, but I guess it is because it is a booming business or else these charlatants would soon be out of business or else come into line. Without support from the consumers, these folks would soon line themselves up. Allas the world is full of unsuspecting idiots who fall victim to these other idiots that have nothing better to do than take advantage of them.

Last edited:

golf72

Seedling
Reaction score
Couldn't agree with more on your assesment. Plus to Bonsai Nut's point of this just being the listing price and not the sale price needs some consideration. Be interested to see if this sells for that price or above. Kotobuki's maybe rare, but I know Brent has some PreBonsai at Evergreen and I have seen some Pre Bonsai listed on E-Bay for 100.00 to 150.00 from another seller that wouldn't take to long to get to the stage of this one. Chalk it up to the seller with some good marketing skills and some key phrases. On E-Bay anything is possible.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
I don't believe this P. thunbergii 'kotobuki' is listed for than amount because it is rare, I think it is because it's old. Do any of you have a kotobuki? Have you watched one s-l-o-w-l-y grow? I don't believe they trunk up like a typical JBP either. They certainly grow slower.

I paid $20 - $25 for the little grafted one I have a few years ago just to see how they grow. I believe if I could find a larger and more advanced one I would purchase it because I will be dead before mine reaches this size.

When I was in California I saw a great example of a kotobuki at Chikugo-en Bonsai. It was right as you walk thru the gate off the street on the right. Massive and old but rather skinny. It was not a bonsai, it was more like a garden tree. Great tree for sure.

Attila - this is a black pine. It does appear to be a white pine at first glance.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing that bothers me about this tree is that the top branches appear much older and stouter than the lower ones making one wonder if they are grafted or what?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't believe this P. thunbergii 'kotobuki' is listed for than amount because it is rare, I think it is because it's old.

This tree may indeed have a few good years under its belt. If it was designed as a literati, that would be a different story, since a thin truk wouldn't be a problem.

But since is is an informal upright, with a thin trunk and branches, it looks imature in spite the fact that it may actually be an older tree. So the trunk needs to at least double in diameter before it will start looking decent. How long will that take in a bonsai pot?

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a beginner or blind or something but I like the look of this tree....maybe $300 worth though. I never have liked trees that look like fat cartoons. This little tree looks like a real; pine to me. It is way overpriced though. That much even I can figure out.

Top Bottom