What I did while on hiatus

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Back in July while I was passing a total of 7 kidney stones, I subsequently told my wife I no longer wished to be married to her. I went through a sort of mid life crisis and thought that making a fresh start would be better.

Long story short...I was wrong. I can admit that now and we are now on the dateing circuit and plan on going to Hawaii in August to get remarried. (We never divorced so this is merely a reason to go to Hawaii...but I digress.)

While away from the boards, I had some time to reflect on bonsai and what it means to me. It also means alot as far as a marriage goes and it needs to be mutual if at all possible. Bonsai will consume every waking moment of your life if you let it so I have decided that the best course of action was to get organized. At least thats what I told my old, seperated, new wife.

This is what I did to get organized.

I placed all my shohin pots that were what I considered collectable in the old NASCAR glass case. Thias is the one that had all the old Jeff Gordon crap in it. I kept this one and my wife has hers at her apartment still full of Jeff Gordon crap. I did add to the collection in her abscence so here is the collection. Lots of signature pots, lots of Sara Raynor pots, Lots of Dick Ryerson pots. I have this many again outside with trees in them. 54 pots in the case.

Attachments

• DSC_00010001.JPG
    DSC_00010001.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_00120006.JPG
    DSC_00120006.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_00080002.JPG
    DSC_00080002.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_00090003.JPG
    DSC_00090003.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_00100004.JPG
    DSC_00100004.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last pot photo contains lots of Sara pots as well as some collectble Purple sand pots from Yixing.

I bought this scroll on Ebay for the Kazari next year. This will be part of my display. I also bought a stone which will be displayed later since it needs some cleaning up. It is a water pool stone, hence the grass and insect on the scroll.

Attachments

• DSC_00110005.JPG
    DSC_00110005.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_00130007.JPG
    DSC_00130007.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_00160008.JPG
    DSC_00160008.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 55

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also bought a new bag to get organized. This one is from Home Depot around 70.00. One side holds the tools. The other side holds alot of wire, I think I have about 10 rolls in there most of them 2 kilo size. There are lots of zippered pockets and a small plastic divided box will keep die grinder bits handy as well as a place for a bottle of booze or water.

Attachments

• DSC_00170009.jpg
    DSC_00170009.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC_00180010.JPG
    DSC_00180010.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC_00190011.JPG
    DSC_00190011.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_00200012.JPG
    DSC_00200012.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_00210013.JPG
    DSC_00210013.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 62

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last thing I bought was a new wood eater. I finally bought an arbortech after about 5 years of looking at them and figureing I didn't need it. I feel I need it because I think I will be better organized.

thats my story any way, and I'm sticking to it.

later, al

Attachments

• DSC_00230014.jpg
    DSC_00230014.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 93

bonsaimeister

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Al,

Thanks for sharing. Really neat stuff. Keep up the great work and it's great to have you back!

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Smoke, It sounds like you have been through a lot over the summer. Hope it all works out for both of you.

Sincerely.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, Al
Welcome to the club. I got an Arbortech, and I love it. There is on thing though, that bothers me about it: the groove that you can cut with it is not that deep. So I can't cut off a thick branch. I wish that the disk was a little larger. Other than that, it's a great tool.

I love that tool bag of yours, I need to check it out at Home Depot. I always had a problem with organizing my tool in an easily accessible manner.

You are right about the bonsai taking over one's life. I managed to take it down a notch a few years ago, and it worked out great.

Last edited:

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Always good to have you back, Al. Your insight is always thoughtful. But if you choose to spend time with your flesh and blood wife rather than your online bonsai associates, that is perfectly understandable... and desirable.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Al,
In classic car restoration, your wife is what they call an NOS, New Old Stock.
In medicine, if you live long enough, she will be brand new again, when Alzheimers sets in.

Nice pot collection!
Welcome back!

M.B.

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great to have you back Al. Missed ya alot, especially your sense of humor.
Hey with all the tools and wire in that bag, how heavy is it? The words "hernia maker" springs to mind lol, but then I'm a wussy girl with a patched up wrist.
Mary B.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found one of the hardest things about Bonsai is the balancing act that occurs with the time following my "hobby" and time with my family.
But I need them both in my life so I do the best I can

I like your bag. I bought a NANTUCKET BAGG for my tools and wire and I like it a lot, but I wouldn't mind being able to zip it closed

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al, great to have you back. Hope life has settled down for you.

I like your bag - mine is similar, but I like all your interior pockets (mine mostly has pockets on the outside). Nice score on the Arbortech - that's next on my list. :D

Steve DaSilva

Seedling
Reaction score
Al welcome back missed you at the Ted Matson workshop. Hope to see you soon .

grizzlywon

Shohin
Reaction score
Fresno, CA. Were all the food comes from if we ha
USDA Zone
9A
Glad to see you back on the site and at the clubs. I've been looking for an excuse to go to Hawaii for the first time. Let me know if you need an officiant. LOL.

When I was at the Bonsai show, one of the guys I met told me that he had sold off all of his trees. I asked him why and he said, "I wanted my life back." By the way, he said he didn't get all the money he had put in out either. For those of us that think that this is an investment.

You guys didn't warn me that this isn't just a hobby, its an obsession! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm glad you kept your bride... I wasn't able to make the same choice with my 1st husband... you've never seen anyone more threatened by little trees than my ex. Decided to call it off before we woke up and wondered why we had wasted our lives... then I got smart and found a wonderful man who loved what I loved... my collection has soared as a result. lol

Missed you... I'll be seeing you in a few weeks I hope... Eric is coming also of course... we couldn't miss out on "Chainsaw Masacre Part Deux".

Can't wait to give a hug to long time and much loved friend.

Victrinia

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm glad you kept your bride... I wasn't able to make the same choice with my 1st husband... you've never seen anyone more threatened by little trees than my ex. Decided to call it off before we woke up and wondered why we had wasted our lives... then I got smart and found a wonderful man who loved what I loved... my collection has soared as a result. lol

Missed you... I'll be seeing you in a few weeks I hope... Eric is coming also of course... we couldn't miss out on "Chainsaw Masacre Part Deux".

Can't wait to give a hug to long time and much loved friend.

Victrinia

I'll be there with "arms wide open" Eric just gets a hand shake.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Reaffirmation of Love and commitment...Nice to see you back but dammed happy to hear that you did not go thru a Divorce...They are very hard for everyone.
Irene

Top Bottom