What I Have Learned From Pitch Pine So Far

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Depends on the state and what their regulations are

Here in NY there is no collection allowed on state lands. Actually prohibited in the regulations. I've never looked into county lands but I suspect it's the same.

I think Shogun nailed the reasons. Highly populated area, relatively less open space compared to out west most of which is designated parks and natural areas
Yes there are a few parks out West, but the "natural areas" you mention are controlled by the BLM and US Forest Service for the most part. I feel very fortunate to live here even though I disagree somewhat with the way these lands are managed. If I did not have somewhere to roam, well I'd move somewhere else.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes there are a few parks out West, but the "natural areas" you mention are controlled by the BLM and US Forest Service for the most part. I feel very fortunate to live here even though I disagree somewhat with the way these lands are managed. If I did not have somewhere to roam, well I'd move somewhere else.
I meant most of the open space here is parks and natural areas which are much smaller than those found out west.

I typed that while I was still half asleep this morning so being fully coherent was a challenge 🙄

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few pitch pines that I collected in 2013 as little seedlings.
I dont have an updated picture to show. I really need to get to updating them.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Update .. one more tree to go in this clump.. the front I think is the other side .. or an he this the angle I’m taking picture is blocking the trunk.. I gotta get a formal photo if this when I’m done later next week with it. It’s a very tall group
207C8C0D-21F2-4D0D-B187-45C59BD70B3E.jpeg
3EE90A07-143F-4F4F-AFBA-9099A8CCBE03.png

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since my medium size pitch pine was growing strongly this season, I cut back, styled, wired, and decandled this tree early.
444474-e895dc29715cd92d400e0d2c4d39ec40.jpg444475-8c6aced87847cfb07c333ddacd79060e.jpg444476-9e66f31f9e0bb7a175c499a9f789f986.jpg

September 11th the tree was opened up to light, and repositioned on the bench at roughly its new angle. Yesterday (a month later), I noticed backbuds all over the previously shaded areas! It could have been caused by the strong growth this season, but I have a feeling part of this backbudding was caused by me opening it up to light a few weeks before fall.
20221011_181833.jpg20221011_181821.jpg20221011_181751.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only because until we work on it .. and I take this puppy home i wanna book mark another great example of this species for those to see who also have been struck by the Pitch Pine bug View attachment 465203
Thank you for reminding me, I also added another fine specimen to my collection. Collected root over rock pitch pine from PA. It's getting a good pot first in the spring, then it will be styled this time next year if it recovers well.

Attachments

• 20221126_114140.jpg
    20221126_114140.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 72

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thank you for reminding me, I also added another fine specimen to my collection. Collected root over rock pitch pine from PA. It's getting a good pot first in the spring, then it will be styled this time next year if it recovers well.

Very nice, Sal. I feel this tree has a lot of potential 10 or so years down the road, needs cut backs and wiring to bring close to the trunk and give overall center of mass and heft.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice, Sal. I feel this tree has a lot of potential 10 or so years down the road, needs cut backs and wiring to bring close to the trunk and give overall center of mass and heft.
I think so too! You know me... I already made some small moves... 🤣

It's getting a good repot in a few months and a full styling in the fall of 2023. It will be a few years before the raffia/heavy wire will be removed, so fall of 2025 the earliest it will start to look like a bonsai.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For the records: I repotted 4 pitch pines this fall, around late september or so and one of them popped its bud open. Not a complete flush but they don't seem to like late repots, as this looks like a stress response.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For the records: I repotted 4 pitch pines this fall, around late september or so and one of them popped its bud open. Not a complete flush but they don't seem to like late repots, as this looks like a stress response.
I have always repotted mine in late winter, and kept them above freezing before spring.

Top Bottom