What is eating my plants?!

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good evening everyone!

Can anyone give me an idea of what's eating my trees? These are young dwarf jade plants. The jade that is completely chewed off was the first to go. I figured it was (maybe) a grasshopper so I sprayed all of my trees with an insecticidal soap. Then, about a week later another jade got attacked. It looks like the bark is shredded. The pictures might not do it any justice but this is happening overnight, in one night. I have no idea! So does anyone have an idea of what it is and how to deal with it? I am about to bring in all of my indoor trees but I'm worried about my outdoor trees as well. Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• 20190818_173425.jpg
    20190818_173425.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20190818_173418.jpg
    20190818_173418.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20190818_173440.jpg
    20190818_173440.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 66

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I was thinking squirrels too just because of how gnarly it is but I didn't think they ate plants. Jeez. What about my other trees? I have an old schefflera, key lime, cork bark maples, stewertia, BC, seagrape, etc. Do you think they are safe or will squirrels eat any tree?

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cats will taste test from time to time. Are you in an urban, suburban or rural location? Is the area fenced?

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cats will taste test from time to time. Are you in an urban, suburban or rural location? Is the area fenced?
So I live in a suburb of Atlanta. My yard is fenced with a privacy fence. I do see an occasional squirrel but never really paid attention to them. I rarely see rabbits. I do however have a couple cats that hang around my general area but I've never seen them in my backyard.

Although I hate that the jades were attacked, I'm much more worried about my other trees.

Sansui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You could try draping bird netting over them in lieu of fence containment. Good luck!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd bet squirrels
Same here.
Unfortunately I'm an expert in identifying the various V.C.bite marks.
Rabbits bite the ends off clean. Like a pair of concave cutters almost.
Voles start at the buds and work their way down the trunk. Eating all living tissue as they go.
Squirrels gnaw on them sucking the juice from the limb.
Deer grab hold and just eat,like a wood chipper.

Palmer67

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Good evening everyone!

Can anyone give me an idea of what's eating my trees? These are young dwarf jade plants. The jade that is completely chewed off was the first to go. I figured it was (maybe) a grasshopper so I sprayed all of my trees with an insecticidal soap. Then, about a week later another jade got attacked. It looks like the bark is shredded. The pictures might not do it any justice but this is happening overnight, in one night. I have no idea! So does anyone have an idea of what it is and how to deal with it? I am about to bring in all of my indoor trees but I'm worried about my outdoor trees as well. Thanks for any insight!
I have cats and have to keep them away from the trees. I learned the hard way. Last year my 22 pound cat Bart ate all the leaves off a Brazilian rain tree. Also, Jade leaves can be toxic to cats and dogs. Be careful.

DK!

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ughh, well thanks for the input everyone. I guess I'll bring my indoor trees in now and start building some sort of screened containment for next year. Again the young jade was the least of my concern... I just dont want my other trees to get attacked next! Cheers!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Also, Jade leaves can be toxic to cats and dogs. Be careful.
Hmmm, I leaned something new. Indeed, I found several sources supporting the toxicity of Crassula jade to cats and dog.

But the dwarf jade is Portulacaria and I doubt it has any toxicity (considering humans and elephants eat it in its natural habitat).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aye Cat or Coon.

The puncture wound rules out rodents.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have record numbers in Massachusetts, but not in my yard. The last one I saw in my yard looked prepared, but he got a glare of my scope and ran away. I was able to take a photo though.

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 51993070007__672E58E4-E6B1-4BCE-B8D9-2878077CC01F.JPG
    51993070007__672E58E4-E6B1-4BCE-B8D9-2878077CC01F.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 27

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I have cats and have to keep them away from the trees. I learned the hard way. Last year my 22 pound cat Bart ate all the leaves off a Brazilian rain tree. Also, Jade leaves can be toxic to cats and dogs. Be careful.
Did you cat live ? i just got a rain tree and i have a dog and a cat. i cant find anything online that says if they are toxic, when i type in brazilian rain tree it brings up francisian rain tree not Pithecellobium tortum
i want to know if Pithecellobium tortum is toxic

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...an-rain-tree&usg=AOvVaw1EoqeLgKsTLP_I66n3KmWi

Top Bottom