What is going on in this pic?

Ali Bubba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Can anyone tell me what this situation is? I took the screenshot with the original French caption translated from an account I follow on Instagram. He has a wonderful nursery and this is something I've never seen before.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230310_232057_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230310_232057_Instagram.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 103

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
My guess is this is using capillary watering system in a greenhouse. Water and nutrients flow through the trays to maintain growth with little soil. Looks like it is almost hydroponics.
No mention if these have grown like that for the entire 40 years or just recently transplanted to these tables? Possibly for a final few years of refinement for both branches and roots.
I'd say this system would give great ramification to the roots - almost ultimate air pruning so should result in masses of feeder roots in the pockets of soil.

The trees look great but 40 years seems a long time to develop JM trunks and branching?

Ali Bubba

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My guess is this is using capillary watering system in a greenhouse. Water and nutrients flow through the trays to maintain growth with little soil. Looks like it is almost hydroponics.
No mention if these have grown like that for the entire 40 years or just recently transplanted to these tables? Possibly for a final few years of refinement for both branches and roots.
I'd say this system would give great ramification to the roots - almost ultimate air pruning so should result in masses of feeder roots in the pockets of soil.

The trees look great but 40 years seems a long time to develop JM trunks and branching?
I couldn't tell you. I don't do maples because of my location, but these trees look pretty amazing to me.

Top Bottom