What is happening to my Japanese white pine?

CaptainFuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all. I purchased this white pine about two months ago. I am in the Chicago area and this tree has been a bit finicky. The needles are slowly browning, the candles look rusty orange, and I’m noticing the main trunk of the tree has a yellow tone to it. I sprayed a copper fungicide on it last week. It’s been watered about twice a week. This is my first JWP.

I’d love some feedback to try and nurse this one back to health. :)

Attachments

• B398E155-244C-4767-8AD6-2CDE2E243920.png
    B398E155-244C-4767-8AD6-2CDE2E243920.png
    491.7 KB · Views: 114

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It doesn’t look too bad from the one photo, maybe a bit dry, but are the candles starting to elongate yet? They should be.
It should be outside, in full sun, and maybe watered more frequently, based on what I can see of the soil.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks okay to me. If you look closely you can see the new candles. CaptainFuzzy I live just south of you. Don't overwater Japanese White Pines. They hate wet feet. I've been watering mine every other day this week, with it being in the 70's, and less often when it was cooler last week.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Did you buy the tree locally? Might be a bit of climate shock. It does look a little dry to me too.

CaptainFuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
It doesn’t look too bad from the one photo, maybe a bit dry, but are the candles starting to elongate yet? They should be.
It should be outside, in full sun, and maybe watered more frequently, based on what I can see of the soil.
Candles are not elongating yet at least I’d have to take a much closer look. I’ll water a bit more I’ve been letting the soil dry out a bit but that might be the wrong idea. My biggest concern is the yellow color on the bark.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The yellow color is likely just the green of the cambium showing through the thin bark.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As for watering, it's not how often so much.
That changes day to day based on the weather and the growth of the tree as a whole.

Water when the top 1" of soil has dried, but there is still some moisture seen below that.
This also varies with the composition of the soil. So water when it is time to water, before it is too dry.
It is advisable to not fertilise till the needles have hardened off, which is near Fall when the sheaths drop.
A little fish emulsion or preferably seaweed extract is ok once in a while, but keep the nitrogen very limited
till Fall.

Could you please update your profile to include your general location.
It is possible in Zone 4-5 to not have candle extension yet, but I think
they should be moving some already.

Top Bottom