What is happening with my Bald Cypress Leaves?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The tree is growing well, has been ever since I got it... I'm not sure what to make of this....
I see BC trees around the area, in the ground, that look just like this, so it wasn't worrying me... but I figured I'd ask, since my research as not turned up much...
The reddish / brownish....really like an annealed copper colored spots are only on the interior leaves... every branch is still growing strong.

The research I did lead me to believe it's from getting too dry...which would have happened before I got it, when it was being neglected in the corner at Walmart....
What do you think?IMAG3583.jpg IMAG3580.jpg

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
BC foliage tends to get "tired" this time of year, even some specimens in the ground. Unless you see an obvious insect agent, it's pretty much to be expected. This is one reason, by the way, that we defoliate established specimens in July. That provides a round of fresh growth going into fall.

Zach

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The tree is growing well, has been ever since I got it... I'm not sure what to make of this....
I see BC trees around the area, in the ground, that look just like this, so it wasn't worrying me... but I figured I'd ask, since my research as not turned up much...
The reddish / brownish....really like an annealed copper colored spots are only on the interior leaves... every branch is still growing strong.

The research I did lead me to believe it's from getting too dry...which would have happened before I got it, when it was being neglected in the corner at Walmart....
What do you think?

You mentioned in the ground BC looking the same in your area. They are far more drought tolerant then most think...
So if they yellow a bit before the rust coloration I would treat for rust mites. Not difficult at all using an insecticide containing carbaryl. A simple inexpensive one is liquid Sevin.

Grimmy

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
BC foliage tends to get "tired" this time of year, even some specimens in the ground. Unless you see an obvious insect agent, it's pretty much to be expected. This is one reason, by the way, that we defoliate established specimens in July. That provides a round of fresh growth going into fall.

Zach
Hmm, that's interesting, I haven't heard of that with BCs, defoliation I mean, good to know.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You mentioned in the ground BC looking the same in your area. They are far more drought tolerant then most think...
So if they yellow a bit before the rust coloration I would treat for rust mites. Not difficult at all using an insecticide containing carbaryl. A simple inexpensive one is liquid Sevin.

Grimmy
I'll take a closer look, thanks G!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I don't advocate full defoliation, even though BC can take it. I find that partial defoliation works way better. I used to see the same thing with some of the foliage. Now I'll partially defoliage( outer canopy), including removing any tired foliage, and wire at the same time. Then dewire before it bites in. Instead of 2-3 cut backs a year I can do 4-5 or more, and get much faster ramification. I feel this keeps the foliage lush and green and it already has a base of leaves to keep the food production going as opposed to useing reserves to build a whole new set.

This is granted the tree is healthy, know what the tree is saying and can handle. Plus you have a regular fungus/pest routine and fetalization.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I don't advocate full defoliation, even though BC can take it. I find that partial defoliation works way better. I used to see the same thing with some of the foliage. Now I'll partially defoliage( outer canopy), including removing any tired foliage, and wire at the same time. Then dewire before it bites in. Instead of 2-3 cut backs a year I can do 4-5 or more, and get much faster ramification. I feel this keeps the foliage lush and green and it already has a base of leaves to keep the food production going as opposed to useing reserves to build a whole new set.

This is granted the tree is healthy, know what the tree is saying and can handle. Plus you have a regular fungus/pest routine and fetalization.
OK, yeah....good info, thanks!
I am still growing out a trunk on this one, so no cutting yet.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing to be really worried about, I think. As Zach said, BC leaves (and other species as well) tend to look a little worn and "tired" come summer's end. I've seen this with BC over the years here. One of the reasons I stopped submerging them was I noticed they tended to go a bit off -color at summer's end. That also might be a bit of sunburn...what kind of sun exposure does the tree get?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nothing to be really worried about, I think. As Zach said, BC leaves (and other species as well) tend to look a little worn and "tired" come summer's end. I've seen this with BC over the years here. One of the reasons I stopped submerging them was I noticed they tended to go a bit off -color at summer's end. That also might be a bit of sunburn...what kind of sun exposure does the tree get?
Full sun, in a tub of water.....
Thanks buddy!

Top Bottom