What is Heavy Feeding?

Reaction score
Hello Newbie to the site. I have noticed folks using “heavy feeding” when talking about fertilizing pre bonsai and growing big trunks. Can some one explain how often you fertilize and what you use. I live in San Diego so I have a long growing season. I am growing juniper of all kinds Shimpaku, Kishu, Itoigawa, Procumbens, and San Jose I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always use a weekly dose of fertilizer at 50% recommended strength for plants that need to grow.

I don't buy the "chemicals are bad" story. A tree doesn't care where the N, P, K etc come from.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I fertilize weekly with Jack's 20-20-20 and it also has Mg, B, Cu, Fe, Mn, Mo, Zn, etc so I really like it in general. Not sure what studies show that organic/biogold etc is better but this is easier for me. Maybe @leatherback can share some of the research. I'd be very interested because I'm always looking for ways to improve what I do....

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always use a weekly dose of fertilizer at 50% recommended strength for plants that need to grow.

Then your trees in development will grow half as strong/fast as they should. Trees in development don’t need to be slowed down, they need to be sped up. An excerpt from Valavanis’ book on Japanese Maples.

I understand that he is growing conifers, but the same rules still apply.

Attachments

• 8934AF40-AADF-448C-A108-8557FF8C0BE0.jpeg
    8934AF40-AADF-448C-A108-8557FF8C0BE0.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Newbie to the site. I have noticed folks using “heavy feeding” when talking about fertilizing pre bonsai and growing big trunks. Can some one explain how often you fertilize and what you use. I live in San Diego so I have a long growing season. I am growing juniper of all kinds Shimpaku, Kishu, Itoigawa, Procumbens, and San Jose I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
If you have a garden, putting them in the ground would far surpass heavy feeding for thickening, if you are looking at the medium to long term (3 seasons or more).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nope. Do not do research on fertilizer. I use what I can get my hands on. I have commercial "chemical" fertilizer, Saidun Ultra, chicken pellets, fish emulsion, veggie fertilizer pellets, Iron, ... And I mix it up.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I apply new 'animal waste product' pellets every 3-6 weeks from the end of winter through fall. Then let the caked up stuff dry a little, remove it and start over.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
From which animals?
I think it's a blend, there are feathers in there but also a load of cow and possibly horse dung. So probably both farm waste as well as meat processing waste like bone and feather meal.
It doesn't smell like pig manure, so I'm guessing that it being left out.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then your trees in development will grow half as strong/fast as they should. Trees in development don’t need to be slowed down, they need to be sped up. An excerpt from Valavanis’ book on Japanese Maples.

I understand that he is growing conifers, but the same rules still apply.
No it's not, as the trees need a certain amount of nutrients not a concentration. Bonsai typically receive a lot more of the solution than normal house/pot plants and do so every week.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is not the conclusion of scientific research, but your personal opinion
Nitrate from a factory or nitrate from bacteria/ chicken shit/ cold pressed seaweed is exactly the same. That's not an opinion, that's chemistry.

The plants don't care about the story on the label. I'm not saying all fertilisers are the same, but the nutrients are.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ground Growing for trunk size - fertilize as instructions say
Refinement for branchlets - 6 to 8 N, 1-2 P, 2K every week when actively growing
Good Day
Anthony

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
From which animals?
From Bullls;---has to be bulls. BS has a special quality in that it not only fertilizes your trees but fertilizes you brain, allowing you to contemplate and imagine almost anything that runs through it regardless of truth, honesty or politics.

Top Bottom