What is it?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of bougainvillea is it? I got this one from my friend in 12/2008 as a bare root. Now it's already bracting. I like its color: white-lotus pink. Thanks.

Today, I found its leaves drooping. What do you think of? How do you approach to this problem?

P/S: you'd better to answer my first question before I present the answer of the 2nd question to you :)
Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_1439.jpg
    DSC_1439.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_1437.jpg
    DSC_1437.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_1438.jpg
    DSC_1438.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_1434.jpg
    DSC_1434.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not bougie expert but this looks a lot like a Pink Pearl Bougainvillea that has been indoors for a long time. (but since you live in CA that would seem weird) The reason I say that is because it looks a lot like mine (Boug Galabra) does when I can finally put it out after spending all winter and part of spring in the house. The leaves dry up and burn off and are soon replaced with new foliage.

However i get the feeling that none of that actually applies in this case. (not sure why i just do)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not bougie expert but this looks a lot like a Pink Pearl Bougainvillea that has been indoors for a long time. (but since you live in CA that would seem weird) The reason I say that is because it looks a lot like mine (Boug Galabra) does when I can finally put it out after spending all winter and part of spring in the house. The leaves dry up and burn off and are soon replaced with new foliage.

However i get the feeling that none of that actually applies in this case. (not sure why i just do)
Thanks a lot Ang3fir3 for your information. However, it has never been indoor. My friend dug this tree (its base is 5" diameter) in 12/08 and gave it to me that time. I barerooted it and put it in pure turface. I also made 3 cutting from its branches, so far 2 alive. I let it stay in full sun since 3/09. It started bracting 2 weeks ago. In recent 5 days, temp. in my area went up in the range 105 -110 F, so, that's why its leaves is drooping (sign of dehydration) even though I watered it twice a day. Probably turface didn't keep water enough for bougie in hot summer. However, if you want to have your bougainvillea produce more bracts, besides sunlight, high iron food and rootbound, it needs dehydration some time (you may already know that the stress on bougie makes it form bracting). I also have 2 other types of bougie( I don't know their name, so I will ask you later :)) which I also place them in pure turface, and they have been producing lot of bracts.

For this tree, I may add pine bark to soil content in the next transplant to reduce water bill :) , espcially CA need water at this time. Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Bonhe, nice little bougie! I like the color of this flower. I have to go find me one of these. 100% turface is bad for these now. It's ok when first bare-rooted, but it needs more organic soil to prosper now, for water retention too . I had one in pure turface for some times too. It was very slow until I added some cactus mix to it. I finds that cactus mix (the organic brands with no sewage sludge in it) is the best bonsai potting mix one can buy from a store. I used to dread potting my bonsais until I discover one can use the cactus mix right out of the bag for most cases. It's cheap too!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Bonhe, nice little bougie! I like the color of this flower. I have to go find me one of these. 100% turface is bad for these now. It's ok when first bare-rooted, but it needs more organic soil to prosper now, for water retention too . I had one in pure turface for some times too. It was very slow until I added some cactus mix to it. I finds that cactus mix (the organic brands with no sewage sludge in it) is the best bonsai potting mix one can buy from a store. I used to dread potting my bonsais until I discover one can use the cactus mix right out of the bag for most cases. It's cheap too!
Thanks Si. I will repot it soon. Bonhe

Top Bottom