What is my/the expectation of the tree?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some very thoughtful and introspective replies......I like to get a glimpse of a person's "inner-self"........

Personally, sticks in a pot make great accents for my beer can pictures!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
I'm thinking I'm old, just not an old fart.....:rolleyes:

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I'm only 20 so among the youngest bnutters here. I'm pursuing a degree at UCR with a full course-load as well as research in a lab. I have this window in college right now where I live on my own, but I still have some support from my parents and can go back home whenever I want. Because my "routine" is fairly stable I have been able to keep many trees. Bonsai has changed me for the better, and its something that value and appreciate greatly in my life. However I will be graduating in a year or so. By then I will likely move and go wherever I find work. I hope my future career path allows me to keep bonsai but it is very realistic that I may have to give it up for a number of years.

Many of my trees are long term projects requiring 5, 10, 15 or more years to really get into shape. In the worst scenario I will never see any of my trees to fruition. Because of this when I first started bonsai I wanted "instant trees." Stuff that would look good with minimal effort and time invested. My criteria in buying material was that it would only need 3 years to be completed. After practicing bonsai for a bit I quickly realized two things: 1) Mature material is something I cannot afford 2) It takes far more than 3 years to develop and refine material.

By this point I accepted that bonsai was a long term investment, but even then I found myself enjoying the hobby more and more. Its not so much as having a nice looking tree that makes bonsai enjoyable but developing the trees themselves. If I have the time and resources I will do bonsai whenever I can. I think my parents like bonsai too but they're at a stressful stage in their life--work is busy and they'll have to figure out how to retire as well as care for their aging parents. If I end up moving far from Southern California I cannot reasonably expect them to care for the trees for me. I can't foresee the future and its pointless to needlessly stress over it. As long as its possible I will develop and continue to work on my trees, but if not I'll have to accept that.

Best case scenario is that somehow my future career ends up being bonsai! :D:D:D:D

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I try not to get too caught up in pondering about the future....though it's tough not too.
I just turned 30 last weekend, I don't expect to stop doing bonsai, ever.
My hope is that my daughter will appreciate it one day and have a real desire to learn about bonsai, and she can take my trees to 100 year mark!
But I agree with Vance, age is not everything. The way I see it, the only thing you can count on age for is maturity of your bark, and trunk thickness, because even in a small pot, they do put on a new layer each year.
For the short term, I expect my trees to bring me peace. Working on trees, whether it's wiring and styling, repotting, or just watering, is just about the most peaceful thing ever for me.
Peace.

Top Bottom