What is on my Japanese Quince?

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
This tree has been hit by aphids hard this year. I have been hitting it with insectide spray and neem oil and I think that I finally got rid of them. I was looking at it today and saw these white powdery spots! Any ID on this. This tree is killing me right now. Also, if you happen to see a bonsai in there somewhere, let me know, I still havent found it yet.20220531_122451.jpg20220531_122413.jpg20220531_122301.jpg20220517_140708.jpg20220517_140716.jpg

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Ok problems. The fuzzy white stuff could be white fly or wooly aphids. Those are pests obviously. Neem and soapy water works. If there aren’t a lot rub them off with your fingers or cutip and alchol.

However, the good thing, really good thing, is that the eggs on a string should be lacewings which are voracious predators that eat every pest in the garden. You want those.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome. I guess I will try not to disturb those as I get rid of the deodorant build up in the arm pits of the tree.

Between you getting what you can, and your little army, you should be fine.

Found my first lacewing egg of the year today, I'm kinda excited! It has entered the protection program!

Sorce

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Between you getting what you can, and your little army, you should be fine.

Found my first lacewing egg of the year today, I'm kinda excited! It has entered the protection program!

Sorce
I will make it real nice for them, they will never want to leave. Trying to make my own lacewing unsullied army.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Lacewings have a distinctive smell. .......................... er...............someone TOLD me that. :rolleyes:

But it's true. 🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Number two. Kinda late cuz the aphids are already gone off this buckthorn.

20220602_052021.jpg

Sorce

Top Bottom