What is spring looking like in your neck of the woods?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's trying, but it's been really cold so far this spring; frosts into late March. Rainy and barely 50 today...but redbuds , cherries, and forsythias are blooming everywhere. Azaleas and dogwoods are next. Most of the pine pollen has been mercifully knocked down with the last few days of rain. Here's a quick view around the back yard...who's next?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 152

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
37 F was the high today and solid, steady rain!

I think we had spring last week. Summer probably starts next week.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mostly lows of 50's now but a few 48's like tomorrow are still pushing through. :D

It rained for a few hours the past 2 days also. :cool:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're hitting the 70's today and tomorrow! :cool: Nights are still cold, but I'm out tomorrow to check the lower elevation collecting spots to see what's moving. I'll post pictures if I find anything interesting.

Are those flowers on your hawthorn or is that just my imagination?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone else find it funny that Wyoming is in the 70's while Texas, Alabama and North Carolina are all 37-50!?!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone else find it funny that Wyoming is in the 70's while Texas, Alabama and North Carolina are all 37-50!?!

I woke up to 42F and Raining...by lunch it was 39F with drizzle:). Rumor has it we'll see 70's this weekend (highest temps this year, so far:eek:) and maybe 80F by next week. Tomato planting weather is right around the corner:cool:.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has been mostly cool, though today, it's about 65. Tonight, it will drop down to 32, so most of the trees come into the garage. Then, back up to the high 60s. The month-long forecast is pretty good.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was 22 F this am. Coldest April morning since 2000 or so.

I've only repotted two trees so far, but this weekend is supposed to close in on 65 and 70 by Monday, so I will probably have to all the repotting in a couple of days (or hours, depending on that 70 mark)

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4 C now, snowed last night. Hit 19 C the other day and then -6 C that night....
My trees are still in storage, getting watered more regularly and hopefully coming out this weekend maybe.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's trying, but it's been really cold so far this spring; frosts into late March. Rainy and barely 50 today...but redbuds , cherries, and forsythias are blooming everywhere. Azaleas and dogwoods are next. Most of the pine pollen has been mercifully knocked down with the last few days of rain. Here's a quick view around the back yard...who's next?

Amazing looking trees and set up!!! Thanks for showing us wanna be bonsai guys.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very cold in the UK - still getting frost :(. Usually the maples have popped buds and are growing away like Larry by now...

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
39 for a high, 22 for a low. I still have 8-10 inches of snow in my back yard and even more on my trees on the north side of my house. Spending my time breaking up pine bark, buying pots and wiring plastic mesh in my pots. I have 20-25 trees to repot this spring. Still a month away. Lake Superior keeps a powerful cold locked in place.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
low 20's at night, but getting up to 55 today for a high. Things are going to start to move quick now. Just glad that the warmup that we had too early last year didn't occur this year.
Orchardists are all happy here.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful trees Brian. Love the colors on that maple, wow!

We keep dipping to the freezing mark in the overnight lows, so I've been trying to maintain my deciduous and recently repotted conifers in the garage. Looks like Saturday we'll be in the clear and I'll be able to take my trees out for the year. Maples are starting to unfurl, but lots of stuff is still pushing buds on my end.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm right there with Rockm. Below freezing this morning, cold and windy during the day but supposedly up in the 60s F this weekend. I only have 2 trees out of winter keeping that I repotted. I moved them into the garage last night. I am totally tired of cold weather by now. I have Roy Nagatoshi scheduled on the 25th to do show-prep critiques for the PBA show in early May. At this rate no one will have anything to show. I only have one tree in leaf, and that is one that I repotted that I kept inside for a week so the roots wouldnt freeze. Sheesh!:rolleyes:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
My trees will be moved out saturday. Moved them out for 2 days last weekend then they were calling for freezes again so they went back into the cold house. Hopefully when i move them out this time they can stay out...

AboveBeyond

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The fourth pic is beautiful, I love the trampoline!! Oh yeah, your trees are nice too. ;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Careful or it might follow me out that way next month...:p

Top Bottom