What is the best fish emulsion out there?

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Had good luck using fish emulsion this year. I have used Alaskan, Fertilome and Dramm. Can't say I notice much of a difference. Is there any defining characteristics of certain brands?

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many far better organic fertilizers you could use besides smelly pest attracting Fish emulsion. Truth be told though, all emulsions stink and attract pests, ants, flies gnats as well as rats feast on this stuff and quite often the tree its being used on. Fish emulsion has a very low NPK level usually 5-1-1, personally I like 20-20-20 for growth and development.

Here is a link that may help you out. http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/organic/2002080041031662.html

ed

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I alternate between Alaskan (5-1-1) and Neptune's Harvest fish+seaweed (2-3-1)...a lot and often. Alaskan is far smellier and attracts yellowjackets immediately, so I usually feed at night to keep the bees away.

Last edited:

GeorgeAlexander

Seedling
Reaction score
I alternate between Alaskan (5-1-1) and Neptune's Harvest fish+seaweed (2-3-1)...a lot and often. Alaskan is far smellier and attracts yellowjackets immediately, so I usually feed at night to keep the bees away.
Fertilizer use still hold true? Thinking about Alaskan 5-1-1 but I hear it attracts animals and wreaks?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fertilizer use still hold true? Thinking about Alaskan 5-1-1 but I hear it attracts animals and wreaks?
If it stinks its usually good for your trees😉
I dont use fish in grow beds as it attracts foxes, they dig up the plant possibly looking for the source of the smell, think its a dead animal. On the benches its fine, unless you have raccoons, coyotes etc that climb up on your benches?

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
I make my own.47FB33A3-279F-41AA-962B-9C521F7FFB70.jpeg

I only ever did this over one winter and early spring to nurse a JBP back to health. We process fish where I work and I would drain the “juice” from the bottom of the gurry vats, dilute it and use it to water with. It worked well the tree came back quite vigorously and continues to do well today. That said, that stuff was nasty.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I make my own.View attachment 455707

I only ever did this over one winter and early spring to nurse a JBP back to health. We process fish where I work and I would drain the “juice” from the bottom of the gurry vats, dilute it and use it to water with. It worked well the tree came back quite vigorously and continues to do well today. That said, that stuff was nasty.
the stench😂

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I make my own.View attachment 455707

I'll stick to Miracle Gro thanks anyways.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Neptune's
I'm not familiar with Neptune's but my understanding is that most fish fertilizers are heat processed which denatures some of the nutrients making it less beneficial for soil microorganisms. The GS is cold processed.

Top Bottom