What is the best organic mix for maples?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think my maples would do much better in an organic mix. So I wandered if anyone uses a recipe for maples?

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you mean by organic? Containing conventional soil and or organic plant material such as roots, leaves and the like?

A discussion of soil composition is highly controversial, many strong opinions out there. One school of thought is the 'Boon mix', which is roughly equal parts akadama, pumice and lava. People tend to be either are pro or ante akadama (that discussion has been had on this website at length). That being said, some people use more akadama for deciduous trees in the mix, and there are some that grow maple in 100% akadama.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Best in what respect? That is, what is your criteria for 'best'?

I grow most of my maples in totally inorganic Turface MVP, but a few taller ones in bark chips and garden soil. I get far far better root and tree growth in Turface, but at a price - the tree must be secured (e.g., wired) to the pot and it must be watered far more frequently. Either way, trees must be repotted from time to time. While I must continuously supply nitrogen and mineral nutrients when using an inorganic substrate, it is only necessary during the first year when using bark chips as their decomposition releases nitrogen and mineral nutrients.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Bonsai, potted trees ("patio trees") or in the ground?...

Bonsai : 30% akadama, 30% pozzolan, 30% composted bark.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are on my balcony and I keep them sheltered in greenhouse for winter. My reasoning in thinking of using organic is because I have a seedling JM that did not get leaf scorch like my other maples did and it is planted in an organic succulent soil with pumice added. I got to thinking maybe something organic could help prevent the leaf scorch?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The title question is loaded like that one top nacho.

Sorce

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought maples liked more acidic soil ? 100% akadama is'nt that very alkaline?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought maples liked more acidic soil ? 100% akadama is'nt that very alkaline?

Most people that keep maple bonsai use some percentage of akadama.
If your trees are getting leaf burn, you could try putting them into a greater percentage of akadama which holds more water than pumice and lava.
Also move them to an area that gets morning sun and afternoon shade during the hottest part of the day. Also being up on a balcony they could be more exposed to wind that could also dry them out/

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you mean by organic? Containing conventional soil and or organic plant material such as roots, leaves and the like?

A discussion of soil composition is highly controversial, many strong opinions out there. One school of thought is the 'Boon mix', which is roughly equal parts akadama, pumice and lava. People tend to be either are pro or ante akadama (that discussion has been had on this website at length). That being said, some people use more akadama for deciduous trees in the mix, and there are some that grow maple in 100% akadama.
either including both organic and inorganic or 100% organic is all right

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What kind of maples? I have tried a few different mixes and techniques, and I'm finding that Palmatums don't respond as much as other species of tree do.

This is purely anecdotal, but here are some things I have experienced:

-The specific mix is not so important so long as it is well-draining, but also doesn't dry out completely
- Adding some bark, maybe 10-15% is (imo) beneficial over a strictly inorganic mix. This might be due to a lot of factors including some that aren't exclusive to the bark itself, like moisture retention, CEC, beneficial fungi or something else
- Keeping young maples seedlings under a grow light for ~16-18 hours a day until they were too large for their trays resulted in an explosion in size after they were transplanted to pots and moved outside. I attribute this to a controlled light source that is superior to the dappled sunlight they would get outside.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What kind of maples? I have tried a few different mixes and techniques, and I'm finding that Palmatums don't respond as much as other species of tree do.

This is purely anecdotal, but here are some things I have experienced:

-The specific mix is not so important so long as it is well-draining, but also doesn't dry out completely
- Adding some bark, maybe 10-15% is (imo) beneficial over a strictly inorganic mix. This might be due to a lot of factors including some that aren't exclusive to the bark itself, like moisture retention, CEC, beneficial fungi or something else
- Keeping young maples seedlings under a grow light for ~16-18 hours a day until they were too large for their trays resulted in an explosion in size after they were transplanted to pots and moved outside. I attribute this to a controlled light source that is superior to the dappled sunlight they would get outside.
Different varieties, BloodGood, Nuresagi, kyohime, Butterfly lace, yastsubusa,

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think Mach5 uses 100% Akadama on his maples so thats what I've been doing lol.

Last edited:

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What I like to mix is this:

Zeolite
Haydite
Rough peat
Baked loam
Coarse quartz pool sand (3.89mm)
Charcoal
Oak leaf mold
Decomposed granite (not the pink kind!)

Basically the easiest stuff to find at your local bonsai media boutique.

I like to adjust proportions based on my electron microscope findings of the specimens root hairs. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GENERALIZE A SPECIES YOU MUST CHECK YOURSELF.

But if a gun were to my head, for maples, I like maybe .05 parts more oak leaf mold and .0125 parts less granite...for example. Even then, it's best to hand mist 6x per day and get dappled shade by 12:08 central time between the vernal equinox and when orion's belt dips below the horizon.

Top Bottom