What is the fastest way to plant maple seeds ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I recently got lots of field maple , trident , red and more ! I can’t ever find the best way to grow them . What is the fastest way to grow them ?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You need to treat each species individually. Some of the care will overlap but some species are more particular. There are too many ways to go with even a single species. Most maples will need to be stratified. You can do that in the fridge or outside it a seed bed or flats. If you are already lost by the little info I have offered, you need to back up and google each species individually.
There is a lot written here already on Japanese maples in the archives and probably other maples as well.
Right now you have the cart before the horse.

papkey5

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I thought that for some you have it put theme in warm water for 24hr than put them in bags
First, that is what looking up each species of maple will help you determine. Putting seeds in water when it isn’t needed is just drowning the seeds.
Second, plan the type of stratifying you can commit to. Inside or outside.

If you choose the indoors in the fridge method; then soak the seeds only when you have read that it is required of that species.

The outside method is simply to bury them to the right depth. Too deep and they won’t have the energy to break through the soil.
Also keep them protected from birds, mice, squirrel and voles.

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought that for some you have it put theme in warm water for 24hr than put them in bags
Yes, check out a web site like Schumachers or Sheffields (seed sellers) and they have details about preparing your seeds:
Scarification and Stratification. I just began prep on a few small batches of seeds. As others have said, treatment will vary from one species/variety to another.
i.e. you might have: soak 24 hours, warm stratify 30 days, cold stratify 90 days.
After soaking my seeds I fold them in a damp paper towel, then close them up in a sealable sandwich bag.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have found that Japanese maple seeds do not actually need stratification or warm water or anything to germinate.
These test pots were all sown in late spring well after our frosts and cold weather.
Just full the pots 1/2 inch below the top, spread seeds over the surface then add the last 1/2 inch of potting mix. Put them somewhere they will get water and sit back and wait.
IMGP1101.JPGIMGP1102.JPGIMGP1103.JPGIMGP1104.JPGIMGP1105.JPGIMGP1106.JPGIMGP1107.JPG

Test subjects for this trial are 3 different Japanese maples, Chinese elm and Japanese black pine. Even more of the Japanese maples have germinated this week and pines still emerging each day.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If seeds are fresh they can go directly to the ground/soil, if they are dried out you would need to soak them.
They will germinate in spring.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes, check out a web site like Schumachers or Sheffields (seed sellers) and they have details about preparing your seeds:
Scarification and Stratification. I just began prep on a few small batches of seeds. As others have said, treatment will vary from one species/variety to another.
i.e. you might have: soak 24 hours, warm stratify 30 days, cold stratify 90 days.
After soaking my seeds I fold them in a damp paper towel, then close them up in a sealable sandwich bag.
What seeds do you do them for ? Also after you put them in the bag what do you do with them ? (I know every seed needs to be different but other people think I’m stupid)

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
You can't rush nature. You have seeds, but want a tree........
I’m not trying to rush it. I’m more like trying to skip the unnecessary parts because a week ago I planted wisteria seeds and now I have 4 inch seedlings !

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I’m not trying to rush it. I’m more like trying to skip the unnecessary parts because a week ago I planted wisteria seeds and now I have 4 inch seedlings !
There isnt really anything to skip when cultivating bonsai.

Skipping in bonsai, involves paying 1k plus for prebonsai someone else started 10 years ago :)

Top Bottom