What is the name of this spectacular pine ?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I hope someone here can point it out for me.
This kind of pine has twisted trunk and branches . It is really nice to make a Bonsai form it. There are a lot of pines liked this in Southern California. Thanks.
96EA8E21-0391-4737-8318-82B5D17649A7.jpeg4174F159-2F8F-4653-984E-B51B9ABD424D.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Tuan - we need closer photos of the needles. Could be an Aleppo Pine... but the needles (with needle length) with help a lot !

I'm on the landscaping committee in my homeowner's association, and we have added Aleppo Pine to our tree pallet because of how well it does in our area without supplemental water.

3861641332_12869c2e0e_o-56a98c703df78cf772a82c2c.jpg

Last edited:

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weeping needles can see but how long/how many in bundle? Also need to see cone and size of cone. Should give idea of ID;)

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Aleppo pine do make the same weird coils, but the weeping needles say differently.
It could be Brutia, but that's a long shot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perhaps not a pine at all but a casuarina? Hmm California? Maybe not, but the needles do tend to weep.

bgurrola

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Canary Island Pine. They are used extensively as landscape trees in southern California.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Yeah I'd say so.
Pinus canariensis to be fancy.

These are all over Spain too, that is a very cool specimen in the photo.

Might not be though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
California native pines, native to coastal areas; could be P. radiata, P. torreyana, P.muricata,

less likely native pines
P. attenuata, P. coulteri, P. jefferyi, or even P. ponderosa.

And as to pines imported for the landscape industry, any of the Mediterranean pines is a possibility.
Need images of the needles, how many in a bundle? the cones - the bristles and shape of the scales of the cone are important, and the bark. From these will be able to sort out the identity.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Tuan - we need closer photos of the needles. Could be an Aleppo Pine... but the needles (with needle length) with help a lot !

I'm on the landscaping committee in my homeowner's association, and we have added Aleppo Pine to our tree pallet because of how well it does in our area without supplemental water.

View attachment 217624

Thanks all for your help. I am sorry that I can not get closer to these trees because they are in the fenced yard of the abandon house. I don't want to trespass !!!!
These are other views of the tall pine tree behind the short one.
IMG_9679.jpgIMG_9680.jpgIMG_9681.jpg

I believe they are the same kind of pine with contorted branches. When look at these branches carefully, I found these small branches are all drooping down. It means the tree branches are so flexible that it can not carry the needle weight! I think it is why this kind of pine have twisted branches up and down, right to left!
I believe this pine is Aleppo as Greg mentioned. Few months ago, I visited Kim Bonsai nursery in Phelan, CA to ask him about Mr. Kim's pine. He used to have a giant pine with same characteristics as the pine in this topic when I came there about 5 years ago. That pine is gone (someone bought it). I asked him what the name of that pine. He told me it was Aleppo.
I googled about Aleppo and found out that it originated from Mediterranean. It has strong twist trunk and branches there. I hope someone from that area can post the pictures here.

I don't think it is Canary Island Pine. We have a lot Canary Island Pine in Southern California.
Again, thank you all.
Thụ Thoại

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aww come on bonhe we're all dying to know:rolleyes:. What kind of tree guy can't jump a fence? Does it actually say no trespassing? What's the worst that could happen;)?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
pinus eldarica or Mondell Pine is my guess. Aleppo has much shorter needles. Torrey Pines have VERY long thick needles BTW.

edit: apparently now they are called, Pinus brutia var. eldarica (which WGW already guessed...)

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
pinus eldarica or Mondell Pine is my guess. Aleppo has much shorter needles. Torrey Pines have VERY long thick needles BTW.

edit: apparently now they are called, Pinus brutia var. eldarica (which WGW already guessed...)
Yes, it could be. I saw a lot of Mondel pine in my area, but I have not seen severely contorted branches on them on them!
Thụ Thoại

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Yes, it could be. I saw a lot of Mondel pine in my area, but I have not seen severely contorted branches on them on them!
Thụ Thoại

Both, Aleppo and Mondel are used extensively in Las Vegas so I got used to seeing them. Both seem to bud back very well and I have seen odd shapes in response to being "trimmed" by folks that clearly don't work on many pines.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both, Aleppo and Mondel are used extensively in Las Vegas so I got used to seeing them. Both seem to bud back very well and I have seen odd shapes in response to being "trimmed" by folks that clearly don't work on many pines.
Thank you. It is good to know.
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom